PDA

View Full Version : The OS fanatics profiles

phrostbyte
August 15th, 2007, 05:15 PM
I hang around a lot of technical forums, so I see a lot of different people who support different operating systems and their repsected behaviors. Please note that the below is merely opinion, and that it is not intended to offend anybody. Mostly I align best with Linux fanatics, since I feel that they are most likely to discuss pure technology with you (and I consider myself a technology fanatic). I also think being fanatic about something is not really a negative thing, in some way OSes are like sports teams, and OS wars is just a really intellegent sport.

Linux fanatics, usually the most technical out of the OS fanatics. Often have a superiority complex, and believe those who aren't Linux fanatics are beneath them technically and by intelligence. Some of the most obsessed fanatics are here. Some believe that open source is the only way, others just believe Linux is just a plain technogically better operating system then anything else, and that Apple fanatics and Windows fanatics are simply ignorant and/or physically stupid. Often have a victim complex.

Apple fanatics, usually the most diverse technically out of the fanatics, some really really bad at computing and others very good. Believe Apple is the epitome of innovation, and that everyone (Microsoft, Linux) copies Apple and is unable to innovate anything themselves. Some believe they are part of some counter-culture. May sympathize with Linux fanatics on some key issues. Some of the most crazy of the crazies are in this group, but overall this group less obsessed then the three (usually get the most flak out of the three though).

Windows fanatics, usually the least technical out of the OS fanatics. The really technical ones are usually less obsessed with defending their OS then the non-technical ones. Most likely to attribute politics to their views. "Linux|Apple users are liberal|communist|etc" is often a justification for their viewpoint. Most likely to attack the other fanatics personally, and use marketing statistics and ad homiem attacks instead of technology to attack other fanatics, but can be sometimes seen defending Microsoft technology (but rarely promoting it as an advantage over other OSes). Least knowledgeable about other operating systems. Least respected by other fanatics, and often cause them to attribute themselves not being fanatic.

juxtaposed
August 15th, 2007, 05:24 PM
others just believe Linux is just a plain technogically better operating system then anything else,

I think so, am I a fanatic?

Spr0k3t
August 15th, 2007, 05:31 PM
A good way to put the Amiga Fanatic...

The boat has all but sunk and the user remains stern with their ship. Everyone has left and the only help in site is back on either sides of the shore arguing who owns the boat.

I'm sorry to say, as an Amiga fan of prime, it was getting worse with every passing week.

kanem
August 15th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Those definitions sound reasonable. And honestly, I may be a bit of a fanatic myself. Though I don't go around talking about Linux everywhere. But I'd say any of us who come here to these forums for non-technical reasons probably have a fanatic streak.

Anyway, I'd like to point out something in defense of Linux fanatics. They, at least, are fanatical about something that they are actually a part of. When you've contributed to something, you're much more likely to be proud of it. And rightly so. Fanaticism on our part is often just a case of us defending and promoting our product. Just like an actual employee of Apple or MS would. But contrast that with Apple and MS fanatics who are fan-boys for a company that they are not part of and have no say in. Might as well be a fanatic for Burger King and hate on McDonalds, or swear off Fords and go around talking about how Chevy's are so great.

phrostbyte
August 15th, 2007, 05:35 PM
I think so, am I a fanatic?

I think we are all fanatic to Linux in some level, for some reason it's very taboo in Western culture to admit things like this. It's not something to fix about yourself. You came to a conclusion based on your expirence (I don't know how much it is, but I assume like most people here you've used at least Windows) that Linux is the best operating system. You are likely able to back it up with TECHNOLOGICAL statements, which is a unique property of the Linux fanatic. Personally, I think the Linux fanatic is the most respectable because of this (technology over marketing), because I view myself is a very strong technology fanatic.

LaRoza
August 15th, 2007, 05:41 PM
I think the most fanatical of the 3 are Mac fans. They buy iEverything, and live and breath Apple. Linux users seem to be more flexible, more knowledgable about other operating systems, rather than their one true love.

(I've seen Mac users mercilessly attack PCs without knowing anything about them. Linux users seem to be able to use Windows better than those who use it all the time, even though they find it frusterating, which is why they don't use it, more knowledge.)

I am a Linux and Windows users and am very capable in both, never used a Mac for long, but I didn't think they where worth the price.

phrostbyte
August 15th, 2007, 05:43 PM
If you ever observe a strong Linux fanatic and a strong Windows fanatic arguing, usually you'll see this. Please note these are vague observations by me over a few years!

The first thing Linux user brings up is something like "Compiz Fusion kicks Aero's butt", "Package management in Windows is non-existant/sucks", "Enjoy your viri" after which the Windows fanatic usually says something like "only 0.1345% of the marketshare uses Linux", followed by "go leave your mother basement", or something like that. The Windows fanatic almost never disputes the technological claims or adds his own about Windows. The Linux fanatic is more interested in disputing technology, while the Windows fanatic is more interested in disputing personality or marketing. Apple fanatics are more interested in disputing "who done it first". Very different arguement styles, I think.

LaRoza
August 15th, 2007, 05:48 PM
The Windows fanatic almost never disputes the technological claims or adds his own about Windows. The Linux fanatic is more interested in disputing technology, while the Windows fanatic is more interested in disputing personality or marketing. Apple fanatics are more interested in disputing "who done it first". Very different arguement styles, I think.

0. Most Windows people don't know enough about the others, and are only fanatical because of their advanced knowledge and experience and don't want to learn.

1. Linux users are more interested in ethics and functionality, and want things to work, even if it takes a moment to read a manual.

2. Mac users seem frusterated with MS marketing. I think "who does it best" is a better criteria, (and from what I have seen, MS only has marketing)

buntunub
August 15th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Anyway, I'd like to point out something in defense of Linux fanatics. They, at least, are fanatical about something that they are actually a part of. When you've contributed to something, you're much more likely to be proud of it. And rightly so. Fanaticism on our part is often just a case of us defending and promoting our product. Just like an actual employee of Apple or MS would. But contrast that with Apple and MS fanatics who are fan-boys for a company that they are not part of and have no say in. Might as well be a fanatic for Burger King and hate on McDonalds, or swear off Fords and go around talking about how Chevy's are so great.

I think kanem struck on something here that is very relevant. People love to be a part of something "bigger" than themselves. In the techy world, it comes down to those three groups, and even subsets of those groups (aka distro or system manager wars amongst linux fanatics). There really is one only thing that seperates one from the other, and that is knowledge level. What is comical is that the more one becomes knowledgable about OS's, the more one becomes drawn to linux. The main problem with windows/mac fanatics is that they dont TRY to learn lol. They just wallow in ignorance.

Quillz
August 15th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Fanboys, no matter for what platform, are bad. Let's leave it at that.

LaRoza
August 15th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Fanboys, no matter for what platform, are bad. Let's leave it at that.

Why bad? If they spread the good aspects of a product they use, aren't they doing something good?

ThinkBuntu
August 15th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Why bad? If they spread the good aspects of a product they use, aren't they doing something good?
Nope. I would get pretty annoyed if someone put on an air of superiority because I shop at Giant instead of Whole Foods for my groceries. Maybe Giant isn't as good, but I honestly don't give a damn.

The same thing goes for Windows users and their choice of platform. We all have our interests, but just because we're technically inclined doesn't mean that others share our interest. Which is why I only will talk in detail about my OS if someone's asking me about it in detail.

Quillz
August 15th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Because fanboys spread the good aspects of their products while completely ignoring the good aspects of their competitors.

An Apple fanboy has the simple principle of "Apple rocks, anything else sucks." A smart computer user makes a fair comparison by saying, "Apple rocks, but Windows does excel here..." for example.

LaRoza
August 15th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Because fanboys spread the good aspects of their products while completely ignoring the good aspects of their competitors.

An Apple fanboy has the simple principle of "Apple rocks, anything else sucks." A smart computer user makes a fair comparison by saying, "Apple rocks, but Windows does excel here..." for example.

Perhaps I misinterpreted the use of the word "Fanboy" to mean "Fan".

By the way, Vista is the best, most original and most stable OS ever!

popch
August 15th, 2007, 06:16 PM
People love to be a part of something "bigger" than themselves. .

Granfalloons? Long live Daffodils!

vexorian
August 15th, 2007, 06:18 PM
imho Apple fans are the ones with the biggest superiority complex, although I've seen it in all the sides.

And open source is the only way to go.

Quillz
August 15th, 2007, 06:19 PM
imho Apple fans are the ones with the biggest superiority complex, although I've seen it in all the sides.

And open source is the only way to go.
I disagree, many open-source projects wouldn't be where they are now if it wasn't for closed-source competition. But to each their own.

Ripfox
August 15th, 2007, 06:22 PM
I think all of those definitions are stereotypes, and in the real world people are very different from one to the next. Just my opinion.

jrusso2
August 15th, 2007, 06:31 PM
I have to go with Mac users as being the most fanatical. I mean they wait until Steve Jobs makes his scheduled announcements then they all rush out and buy the new stuff.

I have never seen this anywhere before. They even wait days in Line.

Did anyone ever wait in line for the next version of Redhat back in the day when you could buy it in the store?

vexorian
August 15th, 2007, 06:32 PM
I disagree, many open-source projects wouldn't be where they are now if it wasn't for closed-source competition. But to each their own.
regardless of how good proprietary alternatives were or are, what I mean is that the fact that proprietary things are leaders in the market is what is screwing users up everyday, there is virtually no choice right now, even apple got it difficult and you got MS there deciding whether they will ship MSO 08 or not to apple...

Quillz
August 15th, 2007, 06:36 PM
regardless of how good proprietary alternatives were or are, what I mean is that the fact that proprietary things are leaders in the market is what is screwing users up everyday, there is virtually no choice right now, even apple got it difficult and you got MS there deciding whether they will ship MSO 08 or not to apple...
I would argue that competition in general, no matter the form, improves everyone's projects in the end.

laxmanb
August 15th, 2007, 06:39 PM
I find the Windows fanatic thing very stereotypical.

LaRoza
August 15th, 2007, 06:42 PM
I find the Windows fanatic thing very stereotypical.

They are all, they are profiles and quite true in many cases.

I never met someone who loved Windows who knew enough about another OS to judge it. Most Linux users are familiar with Windows and can make a fair judgement.

DimitrisC
August 15th, 2007, 06:53 PM
They are all, they are profiles and quite true in many cases.

I never met someone who loved Windows who knew enough about another OS to judge it. Most Linux users are familiar with Windows and can make a fair judgement.

I agree. Most of the Windows fanatics defend their OS because they have no experience in other operating systems. They just defend what they know. In contrast Linux users tend to defend their choice in OS because they have used at least one other OS (mainly Windows) to know its strengths and weaknesses and are able to make a fair judgement as stated above.

lepz
August 15th, 2007, 07:10 PM
I have to go with Mac users as being the most fanatical. I mean they wait until Steve Jobs makes his scheduled announcements then they all rush out and buy the new stuff.

I have never seen this anywhere before. They even wait days in Line.

Did anyone ever wait in line for the next version of Redhat back in the day when you could buy it in the store?

I just checked the mac-forums.....

65 members on-line
623 guests

compared to Ubuntu

817 members on-line
5451 guests

Also Linux users talk about the next release the day after the current one has been released sometimes even the same day :lolflag:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=411201&highlight=Feisty+Fawn+Thread

ThinkBuntu
August 15th, 2007, 07:19 PM
I just checked the mac-forums.....

65 members on-line
623 guests

compared to Ubuntu

817 members on-line
5451 guests

Also Linux users talk about the next release the day after the current one has been released sometimes even the same day :lolflag:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=411201&highlight=Feisty+Fawn+Thread
But how many Ubuntu Stores are there?

distroman
August 15th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Fanaticism is an emotion of being filled with excessive, uncritical zeal, particularly for an extreme religious or political cause, or with an obsessive enthusiasm for a pastime or hobby.

According to philosopher George Santayana, "Fanaticism consists in redoubling your effort when you have forgotten your aim"; according to Winston Churchill, "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject".

The difference between a fan and a fanatic is that while both have an overwhelming liking or interest in a given subject, behaviour of a fanatic will be viewed as violating prevailing social norms, while that of a fan will not violate those norms (although is usually considered unusual).

A fanatic differs from a crank in that the latter term is typically associated with a position or opinion which is so far from the norm as to appear ludicrous and/or provably wrong, while the subject of the fanatic's obsession may well be "normal", with only the scale of involvement being abnormally disproportionate.

Here is yet another profile. linux vs windows vs osx seem to mostly end up with yadayada still entertaining nonetheless.

LaRoza
August 15th, 2007, 08:05 PM
But how many Ubuntu Stores are there?

Many, but it is mostly free.

If you want a good vendor, try:

http://www.thelinuxstore.ca

I have used that site several times and am happy with the service.