PDA

View Full Version : Large image made up of smaller photos

PartisanEntity
August 15th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Right, I am not sure what this technique is called, but quite often you will see a large image made up of countless smaller photos.

Anyone know what this is called and whether there is a tool to do that?

Thanks.

happy-and-lost
August 15th, 2007, 02:35 PM
It's called a photomosaic, and the Wikipedia article about them points to some free software for creating them. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photomosaic#Free_photographic_mosaic_software

edit: metapixel looks good http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/schani/metapixel/

@trophy
August 15th, 2007, 05:35 PM
On XP I use AndreaMosaic and I would highly recommend it. I made a huge picture of the Mexican flag out of pictures of me and friends in Mexico... I need to get it printed but it'll be poster sized and that costs a lot. Anyways yeah AndreaMosaic rocks.

happy-and-lost
August 15th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Oh, or sudo apt-get install pixelize

PartisanEntity
August 15th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Oh, or sudo apt-get install pixelize

Oh very cool, I shall have to try it out soon. Thanks

PartisanEntity
August 17th, 2007, 11:26 AM
I installed pixelize from the repo but I keep getting this error when I launch it:

Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to load module "libgail.so": libgail.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to load module "libatk-bridge.so": libatk-bridge.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
amr@ubuntunb:~$ pixelize

Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to load module "libgail.so": libgail.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to load module "libatk-bridge.so": libatk-bridge.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Has anyone managed to get it to work?

happy-and-lost
August 17th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Works on Gutsy. Is libgail18 installed?

PartisanEntity
August 17th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Yes. And the two modules are present in /usr/bin/gtk2.0/modules/

happy-and-lost
August 17th, 2007, 11:47 AM
I'm on Debian at the moment, so can't rummage around Ubuntu for an answer, but pixelize uses GTK1 libs, not GTK2 ones

vanadium
August 17th, 2007, 12:53 PM
imagemagix tools:

convert infile.jpg crop 100x100 outfile.jpg

will split a larger image in several 100x100 files.

PartisanEntity
August 17th, 2007, 01:04 PM
imagemagix tools:

convert infile.jpg crop 100x100 outfile.jpg

will split a larger image in several 100x100 files.

Thanks but that is not quite what I am looking for. I want to create photomosaics.

After searching through Google I found out that one must run make_db before pixelize can create a photomosaic. But running
make_db /media/disk/pics-folder doesn't work. I get this error:

IMLIB ERROR: Cannot load image: /media/disk/pics
All fallbacks failed.
See /usr/share/doc/imlib2/README.fallback.
Error: Can't load image /media/disk/pics

Anyone know how make_db is used? The man pages are scarce on help and tips. I have about 2500 images in the folder.

fuscia
August 17th, 2007, 01:53 PM
you can do the same thing in gimp if you add smaller images to the larger by selectining file > open as layer.

ThrobbingBrain66
August 17th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Thanks but that is not quite what I am looking for. I want to create photomosaics.

After searching through Google I found out that one must run make_db before pixelize can create a photomosaic. But running
make_db /media/disk/pics-folder doesn't work. I get this error:

IMLIB ERROR: Cannot load image: /media/disk/pics
All fallbacks failed.
See /usr/share/doc/imlib2/README.fallback.
Error: Can't load image /media/disk/pics

Anyone know how make_db is used? The man pages are scarce on help and tips. I have about 2500 images in the folder.

Looks like the '-folder' part is giving it trouble as the error message only mentions /media/disk/pics

You could try renaming the folder to 'pictures' or issuing make_db /media/disk/pics-folder/*

PartisanEntity
August 17th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Looks like the '-folder' part is giving it trouble as the error message only mentions /media/disk/pics

You could try renaming the folder to 'pictures' or issuing make_db /media/disk/pics-folder/*

Thanks for the tip, making the pic_db worked using this command:

make_db /media/disk/pics-folder/*

It's pretty cool software I must say, but you need a large amount of photos, I am trying to make a birthday card for a friend, I have about 2500 photos and the results are not bad, but with an additional 2500 photos they would be better :)

reyfer
August 18th, 2007, 01:07 AM
I usually use this http://imagemosaicgenerator.click42.com/

The site grabs thousands of images from Flickr to make the big image.

PartisanEntity
August 18th, 2007, 11:21 AM
I usually use this http://imagemosaicgenerator.click42.com/

The site grabs thousands of images from Flickr to make the big image.

An interesting idea, but more suited to impersonal work. Since I am making a card for a friend I used our photos of friends that we have been making over the past couple of years to make up the image and give it a personal touch.

stooshbunutu
February 19th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Hiya,

Front end for metapixel

I've created a webpage that gerneates the script based on input fields to be copy-and-pasted into terminal to run the command.

It is the attached file, just save the .txt file as a .html file, open it in firefox, and enjoy.

Let me know what you think, I am currently working on converting it into a program front end

Hope you like it :)