PDA

View Full Version : IE6 crashes with html

proalan
August 15th, 2007, 11:20 AM
This is interesting
http://immike.net/blog/2007/08/06/single-line-of-html-crashes-ie-6

I tried it in IE7 on my xp installation the anti-virus (antivir guard) program detects the page in question as a trojan 'TR/HTML.Crashie.E' when I google for the trojan/virus database there is no such entry.

In any other browser the page just loads up a text box as expected. Of course the html is not valid but even so should it have the capacity to crash a browser possibly even the OS? I know IE is integrated with the OS and this is probably why it could crash the entire OS.

I wonder what the result would be for someone running IE6 in wine.

kellemes
August 15th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Why don't you upgrade your browser? IE6 is about a year old I believe..

proalan
August 15th, 2007, 11:53 AM
It applies to IE7 too, load the page in IE7 then maximize the page.

I'm suspicious as to why antivir picks this incorrectly as a trojan even though its just malformed html code.

I didn't realize IE was this bad.

btw I use firefox as my primary browser, but I have to support IE6 when making web pages.

Spr0k3t
August 15th, 2007, 12:00 PM
I find that if the pages I build are designed around the web standards, they work great in most browsers. In the end, there are only a few hacks in CSS that are needed to get the page to render correctly for IE. I follow xhtml 1.1 strict religiously when designing pages... if IE doesn't render the page correctly, it's not my fault.

I like using 32bit PNG files just to throw off the graphic rendering in IE6. Quite fun that.

LaRoza
August 15th, 2007, 12:50 PM
I find that if the pages I build are designed around the web standards, they work great in most browsers. In the end, there are only a few hacks in CSS that are needed to get the page to render correctly for IE. I follow xhtml 1.1 strict religiously when designing pages...

0. True
1. I too, use XHTML 1.1 for everything, with CSS2 and ECMAScript

@trophy
August 15th, 2007, 05:36 PM
LOL "IE6 crashes with html"

"In other news, the earth revolves around the sun! Film at 11!"

reclusivemonkey
August 17th, 2007, 08:07 PM
I wonder what the result would be for someone running IE6 in wine.

It crashes =]

izanbardprince
August 17th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Why don't you upgrade your browser? IE6 is about a year old I believe..

Try close to 7 years old, and before Firefox started nipping into Microsoft's market share, they weren't planning on releasing any more versions of IE seperate from the operating system, which would effectively put the internet on hold for 6 years between Windows versions, and then god knows how long after that before most people had upgraded.

Aesir09
August 17th, 2007, 08:16 PM
sudo apt-get install firefox

why? because ie sucks ****, i said it