PDA

View Full Version : Matallica: Suing Again!

starcraft.man
August 15th, 2007, 03:18 AM
Your gonna love this. Ok I'm not a super audiophile guy, I just listen to a few bands. I happen to like a good portion of Metallica's stuff, mostly the old. I admit I had to have a laugh at them back when they blamed Napster for dwindling sales on their new stuff which as many fans cited, wasn't quite up to snuff. So, now their new tactic is suing people who legitimately licensed their material :p.

Article here. (http://www.dailygaming.net/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=230) (minor language warning, not too bad)

Apparently, the two new games Rock Band and Guitar Hero III will contain one Metallica song each (I think both are "One"). The companies paid for the license to have the song played in game and now Metallica's lawyer's believe it's ok to sue the game companies, and I quote:

Metallica is fearful that album sales could decline if their fans were able to simply walk into any Gamestop or Best Buy and purchase an $80 video game that contained one of their songs.

That's right folks, because all rational people pay 80$ to listen to one song in a video game, when they can buy a whole album of the band for 10-15$ or even just pay for the song for a buck or so. Way to go Metallica, your logic and intelligence know no bounds!

Bands, gotta love em :p.

buzzmandt
August 15th, 2007, 03:24 AM
use to love metallica, now they are just hacks, they went down the toilet real quick. Now their just trying to find ways to fund their drug/alcohol/women addiction since their music sucks and won't sell

starcraft.man
August 15th, 2007, 04:12 AM
use to love metallica, now they are just hacks, they went down the toilet real quick. Now their just trying to find ways to fund their drug/alcohol/women addiction since their music sucks and won't sell

LOL! Well there last album certainly wasn't inspiring. They got rid of their producer though and got Rick Rubin. I hope they can sound great like before, if not I don't imagine they'll get another chance after this album. I think enough of their fans have been alienated already...

Dimitriid
August 15th, 2007, 04:15 AM
"The companies paid for the license"

Thats it, case close, if any judge doesn't automatically dismiss this the US is doomed ( even more so than now )

Dimitriid
August 15th, 2007, 04:22 AM

Many people flame me for this but Metallica had 1 good thing going for them and 1 mediocre thing that managed to impress a few.

The good thing was Dave Mustaine, if you notice he was credited all the way to And Justice for All and thats probably just because of stuff he could prove, we will never know exactly how much they stole from him but I suspect enough ideas came out of him to support the first 4 albums.

Then we got Cliff, who's one of the most overrated guitar players ever ( thats right, he really wasn't a bass player, like 99% of the rest of the world's bass players, he just happened to use a bass and play it like a guitar and was more proficient than other guitar players using a bass ) But even if everybody hyped his wrongful choice of instrument he still apparently had some ideas that died with him.

After that they really got nothing, nowadays they can't even play their own old songs anymore, thats how bad they've gotten technically and musically well if you have enough stomach go find out but I cant say I recommend it.

starcraft.man
August 15th, 2007, 04:49 AM
"The companies paid for the license"

Thats it, case close, if any judge doesn't automatically dismiss this the US is doomed ( even more so than now )
I know, I don't get what kind of stunt the lawyer's pulling, you'd think they'd be smart at least?

Many people flame me for this but Metallica had 1 good thing going for them and 1 mediocre thing that managed to impress a few.

The good thing was Dave Mustaine, if you notice he was credited all the way to And Justice for All and thats probably just because of stuff he could prove, we will never know exactly how much they stole from him but I suspect enough ideas came out of him to support the first 4 albums.

Aye, was a shame about Mustaine. Real shame.

MetalOverlord
August 15th, 2007, 05:08 AM
I gave up on Metallica a long time ago.

distroman
August 15th, 2007, 06:55 AM
I am pretty sure I remember someone from that band admitting how bad a mistake napster was and not just because it blew up in there face. Most be a short-term memory thing.

VChief
August 15th, 2007, 07:09 AM
I started reading the article and some links. It's satire. http://www.n4g.com/industrynews/News-59225.aspx (also, if you look at the page title it says "Seriously satirical"). Funny, though, I think.

gimpguy2000
August 15th, 2007, 07:12 AM
Your gonna love this. Ok I'm not a super audiophile guy, I just listen to a few bands. I happen to like a good portion of Metallica's stuff, mostly the old. I admit I had to have a laugh at them back when they blamed Napster for dwindling sales on their new stuff which as many fans cited, wasn't quite up to snuff. So, now their new tactic is suing people who legitimately licensed their material :p.

Article here. (http://www.dailygaming.net/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=230) (minor language warning, not too bad)

Apparently, the two new games Rock Band and Guitar Hero III will contain one Metallica song each (I think both are "One"). The companies paid for the license to have the song played in game and now Metallica's lawyer's believe it's ok to sue the game companies, and I quote:

That's right folks, because all rational people pay 80$ to listen to one song in a video game, when they can buy a whole album of the band for 10-15$ or even just pay for the song for a buck or so. Way to go Metallica, your logic and intelligence know no bounds!

How pompous!

You know, I was a top Metallica fan for years, since they first began AAMOF. I have every track made, I got tapes from the Netherlands just to complete my set some years back.

Who do they think they are? Masters of puppets? It's like a creeping death, a black album if you will.. it's no reason to load and re-load and kill em all, I suppose we just ride the lightning for now. Back in the old garage days it wasn't like this, there was justice for all....now there's only st.anger running amok. Makes me want to binge and purge.

Seriously, they are Marketallica now. I paid for all their garbage over the years and I have to pay to enter their fan site? Nope. They are getting greedy and will never see a red cent from me again. Jerks. St.Anger sounded like it was recorded in a box. There , I said it. Utterly rediculous!

Thanks for posting that.

Paul

tbroderick
August 15th, 2007, 07:20 AM
funny.

Erik Trybom
August 15th, 2007, 10:44 AM
I don't understand how anyone can write an article like this. It's not obviously satire, although the language indicates so. Satire as I know it is writing something witty in order to expose an absurdity that actually happened. This is just a false news item aimed at making fun of Metallica. (Incidentally, another such false story was in the press a few weeks ago, in which James was stopped at a London airport because of his beard. This never happened according to himself.)

I think Metallica have recieved way too much critisism for their former lawsuit. As far as I know, money wasn't the issue but rather the fact that Napster distributed Metallica's work without asking them. It turned out the lawsuit was a big mistake, and Metallica today seem to recognise that their former position wasn't a viable one. For example they now offer all their concerts in drm-free mp3 and flac formats on their website.

I don't like their latest album either, but I respect their right to do whatever music they like. And again: you don't come up with at fake story about someone and then make fun of them for something they never did. You just don't. The lameness of it is staggering.

sw1995
August 15th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Oh, Metallica, you already swam around in this pool of irony years ago and still have not learned your lesson? Nobody cares (especially the tape-trading culture that put you on the map in the first place you ungrateful bores!)

smoker
August 15th, 2007, 11:15 AM
they'd be better sticking to tried and trusted methods for dying rock bands to drum up publicity...

...throwing tv's out of hotel rooms is my fav, or screaming abuse at a poor airline hostess!
:guitar: :lolflag:

allix
August 15th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Heh this is sooo sad. I've been a Metallica fan since I was a kid and its just pathetic to see these guys going downhill at the speed of light. Good thing they sacked Bob Rock, I guess their next album will be worth a download. :)

They still are the best live-band in the world though.

Ralob
August 15th, 2007, 02:15 PM
FYI, the article was a joke. :popcorn:

happy-and-lost
August 15th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Metallica is fearful that album sales could decline if their fans were able to simply walk into any Gamestop or Best Buy and purchase an $80 video game that contained one of their songs.

Dear god! What next? People being sued for playing their stereo so loud neighbours can hear? And why? Not because they're disturbing the peace, but because people will be able to hear music which they have not purchased :o

fuscia
August 15th, 2007, 03:21 PM
power ballads were the funeral march for metallica.

juxtaposed
August 15th, 2007, 03:28 PM
You just cannot respect people like that, even if this article was fake.

Kill 'Em All was decent; Ride The Lightning, And Justice for All, and the Black Album were pretty good, and Master of Puppets was great; But ugh, I couldn't listen to St. Anger at all. I've downloaded it atleast three times thinking again "It couldn't be that bad", but it was. I deleted it every time, which is very amazing, as I very rarely ever delete music.

gimpguy2000
August 15th, 2007, 07:39 PM
I admit too, St. Anger was less than satisfying. The recording quality was terrible, as was the attempt to create an up-to-date music style. They should have stuck with what worked. Sure musicians must change but they always had their certain Metallica style. St. Anger was a horrid reminder of what some musicians will do to get something put out there.

All joking aside, they survived all these years due to their style of playing where older and newer generations loved their music. My son's friends all listen to the old stuff which surprised me, as well, it surprises me how many of the younger generation tell me they like older rock more than the new genre of music. Yet, I hear the same about St. Anger, they liked all except for that one.

Being almost 37, I still listen to some old stuff, but I do like Disturbed, Saliva, Drowning Pool, and things of that nature too. There is also a group called Sum 41, I think their hit, "we're all to blame" was on Godzilla final wars. They have some Youtube vids. Anyway, back to point, I like the old Metallica, perhaps even to Re-load but St. Anger was a let down after all these years and if they do make another album, I hope it isn't based from St. Anger.

Paul

gimpguy2000
August 15th, 2007, 07:41 PM
power ballads were the funeral march for metallica.

I tend to disagree. While through the mid and late 90's even into 2000's, Metallica has made albums, where are the power ballads? Gone since late 80's.

Paul

allix
August 15th, 2007, 08:20 PM
FYI, the article was a joke. :popcorn:

Unfortunately, so is Metallica. :(

WishingWell
August 15th, 2007, 08:52 PM

They want to be paid for the service they provide, what a novel idea.

Metallica is second only to Motorhead.

whayong
August 15th, 2007, 09:27 PM
I disagree about Mustaine, but that could be because I wasn't a big fan of his although I admit, I did like a few Megadeth songs.

I stopped listening after the black album. They shouldn't have gotten rid of Newsted either.

iPower
August 15th, 2007, 10:01 PM
sold all my metallica cds and lps years a go

sparks0548
August 15th, 2007, 10:08 PM
I am not the least surprised. I gave up on Metallica when the Black album came out. Alot of bands built inspiration from the influence of early Metallica.

Dave Mustaine is a great guitarist but went downhill as well after Symphony of Destruction. He faded to the backdrop and Megadeth's music since then has been unoriginal since.

Cliff Burton was a good bassist. I've been a bassist for about 12 years and you can hear the talent in Cliff's music. Jason Newstead is a great bassist too, but neither can compare to Stu Hamm or Les Claypool.

Here's a link to an Atom Film on Metallica's Greed using the voices of the members of Motley Crue.

http://www.flashontheweb.com/music.htm

Paul133
August 15th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Metallica is the SCO of music. :lolflag:

metallicamaster3
August 17th, 2007, 09:15 PM
ITS SPELLED METALLICA!!

>.<

okay anyway...

yes I was very disappointed when they decieded not to give songs to Guitar Hero. Very disappointed one becuase i love that game and I would die to play their songs....second because, well, cmon, you got money, dont you?

I am not the least surprised. I gave up on Metallica when the Black album came out.

Same here.

They shouldn't have gotten rid of Newsted either.

A lot of use could agree on that.

Depressed Man
August 17th, 2007, 09:41 PM
They want to be paid for the service they provide, what a novel idea.

Metallica is second only to Motorhead.

I shouldn't bother responding to you since I've seen the poor manner in which you act (or rather post) in the other thread. But if you've bothered to read the post you quoted (or even the link to the article) then it says that the companies already payed a licensing fee to have those songs in game.

Essentially. Metallica's lawyers are suing game companies for distribution of a song the companies have already paid for a license to use and distribute in the game itself. Come on, even you can see this is a rather stunning and (a WTF) moment.

tbroderick
August 17th, 2007, 09:56 PM
I
Essentially. Metallica's lawyers are suing game companies for distribution of a song the companies have already paid for a license to use and distribute in the game itself. Come on, even you can see this is a rather stunning and (a WTF) moment.

Metallica is not suing the game maker. The article was satire.

Depressed Man
August 17th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Figured that out from the posts responding to it. But I was just pointing out that if this was true, it'd still be a stupid move.

ticopelp
August 18th, 2007, 12:03 AM
Funny, although it was satire, I had no problem at all believing it.

Depressed Man
August 18th, 2007, 12:50 AM
I wouldn't have trouble believing it either. Considering some lawyers have been known to make some of the most idiotic decisions ever.

Like in my area, this local D.C judge tried suing a laundromat for several million dollars just to replace his pants (they offered to replace h is pants before this lawsuit business began). They won the case (though they had huge legal fees which a benefit helped out with). And luckily that guy may lose his job.

keyboardashtray
August 18th, 2007, 10:34 AM
I don't understand how anyone can write an article like this. It's not obviously satire, although the language indicates so. Satire as I know it is writing something witty in order to expose an absurdity that actually happened. This is just a false news item aimed at making fun of Metallica. (Incidentally, another such false story was in the press a few weeks ago, in which James was stopped at a London airport because of his beard. This never happened according to himself.)

I think Metallica have recieved way too much critisism for their former lawsuit. As far as I know, money wasn't the issue but rather the fact that Napster distributed Metallica's work without asking them. It turned out the lawsuit was a big mistake, and Metallica today seem to recognise that their former position wasn't a viable one. For example they now offer all their concerts in drm-free mp3 and flac formats on their website.

I don't like their latest album either, but I respect their right to do whatever music they like. And again: you don't come up with at fake story about someone and then make fun of them for something they never did. You just don't. The lameness of it is staggering.

I agree completely - this story is the worst of the worst, satire should make you laugh - this just makes you mad, then embarrassed for believing it. Whether here or on Digg, it is clear that this little piece has left plenty of people believing it was true: even while some are posting that it is fake, others still carry on oblivious.

Yes, Metallica lost a lot of credibility during the whole Napster debacle, yes Load on up weren't Justice on down. I'll admit cutting their hair when they did was a horrible decision.

To all you Metallica bashers: James wrecked/changed his voice while recording "So What?". He will never sound like he did pre-Black album. Get over it.

What I find most amazing is peoples' ability to seemingly turn against the entire body of work by Metallica because they don't like the new stuff. Where have all of you been for the entire history of rock and roll? Virtually every legendary band has hit a point where they no longer record the quality of their prime, yet somehow Metallica is singled out as this epitome of selling out.

Every Beatle released 80's pop, no one holds that against them. Is IV any less of an album because Paige recorded with P Diddy? Is Blonde on Blonde less of a masterpiece because Dylan went on to record 40 years of (comparative) garbage? I barely see any of the hardcores turn against Sabbath even though the Godfather of Metal went on to do the televised abortion that was the Osbournes.

But to some people nowadays, being a Metallica fan is about as hip as being a fan of Winger. At least if you're wearing a t-shirt of the latter you might have the saving grace of being ironic.

/METALLICA\ RULES :guitar:

(I had to use it)