PDA

View Full Version : UA (Ubuntu Anonymous)

gary0
August 14th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Hi, my name is Gary, and I'm an Ubuntu addict. There. I said it. It goes like this. I started on ubuntu in January this year whilst recovering from pneumonia. I needed something to fill my days. I loved it. Played with it, experimented, buggered it up several times. you know the story. BUT!!! I am a dot net programmer, and found that mono was a bit hard to learn. I have invested hundreds of hours learning MS dot net and VB etc, and wasn't prepared to unlearn what I knew and start again. So, I removed Ubuntu and dedicated my entire 250 gig HD to win XP. Cool. I'm productive again. A week or so later I got all fidgity and itchy. What's the problem methinks? Ah, no Linux. I went out and got a 120Gb hd for £25! £25 for gods sake! Install Ubuntu, mess up the partitioning, redo it, and ahhhhhh, at last, linux again. I am complete again. I found I just couldn't live without it. So, a huge thank you to all the developers involved in this distro, it is simply the best. It is soooo sweet. I missed you Ubuntu. So now, my development is still in MS dot net, but for everything else, Ubuntu. I love it.

Sorry if this seems incoherent, but I just got in in from the pub after 5 or 6 pints of proper english ale. Hic! I won't be deserting you again Ubuntu, you are here to stay.

Thanks again,
Gary.

Blutack
August 14th, 2007, 11:20 PM
Ah good times. Get home, send a drunken text to an ex or two, eat a pizza and post on ubuntuforums. Try VirtualBox, I need to use Matlab (shudder) occasionally and its bloody brilliant. You don't even notice its not in Ubuntu if you install the guest additions, the mouse automatically slips across the boundary of the window!
www.virtualbox.org

toidi
August 14th, 2007, 11:23 PM
Glad to hear you are whole again ;)

Proper English Ale? Damn that stuff smells of turnips and tastes like stale tea.

Give me a flagon of cider any day.

P.S. wrong forums m8ee :D

Blutack
August 14th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Nah, there's a question in there! Look, I answered it and everything. Its kind of implied but I think he wants to develop .NET on ubuntu. Or maybe he just wants a kebab. If you send him to a different forum he'll just get lost and go to sleep in a bus shelter.

Jimmyfj
August 14th, 2007, 11:30 PM
Hi Gary - Boy do I know what you mean. I have been using Ubuntu since January myself. Had a few encounters with Windows since for support work, thank God NOT on my puter.

Call me crazy but to me Linux, and Ubuntu in particular is not just another OS, it's a way of life, the worlds greatest philosophy.

gary0
August 14th, 2007, 11:32 PM
Proper English Ale? Damn that stuff smells of turnips and tastes like stale tea.

I bet you live in america. You don't have proper beer there. A mate of mine who visted the states said the beer there is like making love in a canoe - f***ing close to water! Get yerself some proper stuff mate. Seriously though, it's great to back. Why didn't I discover Linux 10 years ago?

Gary.

st33med
August 14th, 2007, 11:34 PM
I think this really belongs in the Community Cafe.

Blutack
August 14th, 2007, 11:35 PM
I'm going to reluctantly second that.

K.Mandla
August 14th, 2007, 11:38 PM
Thirded, and moved. :)

But a clever thread, nonetheless. ;)

p_quarles
August 14th, 2007, 11:52 PM
I bet you live in america. You don't have proper beer there. A mate of mine who visted the states said the beer there is like making love in a canoe - f***ing close to water! Get yerself some proper stuff mate. Seriously though, it's great to back. Why didn't I discover Linux 10 years ago?

So, what? Bud Lite isn't up to your friend's hoity-toity standards :lolflag:

I live in America, and while it is true that a lot of the beer is lousy, there's plenty of good stuff to be found. And not all of it is imported, either. :)

Linux ten years ago wasn't at where it is now, but I too wish I'd discovered this earlier. I never got along with Windows, thought Macs were a . . . bit overpriced (trying to avoid flamewar). But Linux . . . I seem to be using my computer more often and for more things these days.