PDA

View Full Version : Kde 4?

canceLinux
August 13th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Hi. you know kde4 is coming with new features. i don't know so much about this but i'm scaring some events what i see..

1. Kde4 Windows port!! What? This guys runs Amarok on Vista! but if i were a vista user, why i should use linux? Linux (or kde) programs working on windows, but Linux can't support ".exe" files everytime..!:-&

2- New Kwin properties! like compiz, wobbly windows and something more..
Why i am using kwin? For eyecandy or use "light one" ? this thing (can) make the kwin slower & needs more dependencies about GL, i think..

Say me something about that & sorry for my english :)

Depressed Man
August 13th, 2007, 10:29 PM
What's wrong with supporting a program in both Linux and Windows? What if I use Amarok in my Ubuntu on my laptop and for some reason I have to switch into Vista to do something. Wouldn't it be nice to also have Amarok on there?

kellemes
August 13th, 2007, 10:29 PM
It's just one of many many choices you have..
It'll be great.

canceLinux
August 13th, 2007, 10:38 PM
not only amarok.. this will be continued..

igknighted
August 13th, 2007, 10:59 PM
not only amarok.. this will be continued..

QT is porting to windows (as well as OSX). How is this bad? You can run FF on windows. Same with Gimp, OO.o, Abiword, Pidgin... the list goes on. The fact that all these run on windows is considered a good thing, and the fact that you can keep your apps without wine or crossover is also a good thing. There are still things at the core of KDE, including the WM and the general interoperability of apps that will only be utilized in the full linux environment. Besides, If you are using the same apps, why not use the more secure kernel? I think that once people see how great linux apps are, there will be more incentive to switch, not less.

As for the WM, they are indeed doing what all DE's are doing and integrating advanced composite features. Gnome is doing it (very slowly) and Xfce already has a fairly advanced compositor. However, kwin will still scale to be as light and nimble as any WM. It is not all composite all the time, but rather if you select that you want to use compositing, it gets turned on. Oh yeah, its a lot more stable than beryl/compiz, which was a complete re-write of a WM, while kwin was built on stable code. Not to mention, on many systems with decent graphics cards, composite desktops are faster than standard ones (theres already a thread about this, if you want to argue this point, look the other thread up).

WishingWell
August 13th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Hi. you know kde4 is coming with new features. i don't know so much about this but i'm scaring some events what i see..

1. Kde4 Windows port!! What? This guys runs Amarok on Vista! but if i were a vista user, why i should use linux? Linux (or kde) programs working on windows, but Linux can't support ".exe" files everytime..!:-&

2- New Kwin properties! like compiz, wobbly windows and something more..
Why i am using kwin? For eyecandy or use "light one" ? this thing (can) make the kwin slower & needs more dependencies about GL, i think..

Say me something about that & sorry for my english :)

1. because Amarok is the best music player bare none? If it was available on Vista i'd replace foobar in less than a fragment of a second (it's so small so it actually does take less than a fragment of a second to remove)

2. because it's KDE, you know, where you have options, you can turn everything on or off in KDE including compositing support.

stmiller
August 13th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Yes Amarok is no longer a 'KDE app,' but a QT app.

VLC's next major version is going to be QT4 also, I believe.

Lots of good stuff coming up.

WishingWell
August 14th, 2007, 12:05 AM
Yes Amarok is no longer a 'KDE app,' but a QT app.

VLC's next major version is going to be QT4 also, I believe.

Lots of good stuff coming up.

Amarok is most definently a KDE app just like every other QT built app is a KDE app, in fact, the entirety of KDE is a QT app.

Steveway
August 14th, 2007, 12:16 AM
No Amarok is NOT a KDE application.
It is a Musicplayer written using QT.
If it were, then it would be in KDEmultimedia.

Why isn't Amarok part of KDEmultimedia?

The developers don't want the man telling them when they can release. (Meaning, packages in KDE proper have a release schedule that doesn't fit with Amarok's fast-paced development).
And Amarok will be ported to Windows and MacOS soon after KDE4 gets ported and that is not going to be done soon.

Andrewie
August 14th, 2007, 12:34 AM

And Amarok will be ported to Windows and MacOS soon after KDE4 gets ported and that is not going to be done soon.

Amarok 2 already compiles on windows, the code is fully portable so it will be no wait for the windows or os x version. There was a few pictures of it running, can't find them now. I doesn't have a engine cause its going to use the kde 4 sound system thing. But it should be out in oct.

WishingWell
August 14th, 2007, 12:43 AM

There are hundreds of apps for gnome using GTK* and for KDE using QT that are all considered to be an application of those DE's, just because it's not included in KDEmultimedia doesn't mean it's not a KDE app.

It is, there is an easy way to check it, run it on any DE and click help and about, no matter what DE you're running it will say it's using KDE because IT IS, remove all KDE libraries and it won't run, it depends on KDE because it's a KDE app.

WishingWell
August 14th, 2007, 12:47 AM
If you're thinking in terms of official support, well neither Universe nor Multiverse in Ubuntu is officially supported, does that mean that those channels don't contain Ubuntu packages?

(thanks to debian, this doesn't matter much, they are basically rebuilds of officially supported debian packages and debian is known for it's scrutiny)

Steveway
August 14th, 2007, 12:52 AM
So you say thunar is a Gnomeapp?
NO! It is not!
It is an XFCEapp because it is included with a base XFCE install.
Nautilus is a Gnomeapp because it is included in the base Gnome install.
Konqueror is a KDEapp because it is included in the base KDE install.
But Amarok is not a KDE app, it isn't included in a base KDE install.
It is an app using QT. For the same reason deluge-torrent is an app using GTK and not a Gnomeapp.
There is a fine line wich makes the difference.

Andrewie
August 14th, 2007, 01:19 AM
you guys are all correct but amarok is a kde program. Its even hosted on the KDE web site., and I believe its also part of the kde svn.

http://amarok.kde.org/

I don't think amarok started off as a kde app but it was added after awhile, the same thing happened with superkaramba

bread eyes
August 14th, 2007, 01:57 AM
a Qt app = an app that needs Qt
a KDE app = a Qt app that needs KDE libraries and stuff
an official KDE app = a KDE app that's part of the KDE project

WishingWell
August 14th, 2007, 02:20 AM
So you say thunar is a Gnomeapp?
NO! It is not!
It is an XFCEapp because it is included with a base XFCE install.
Nautilus is a Gnomeapp because it is included in the base Gnome install.
Konqueror is a KDEapp because it is included in the base KDE install.
But Amarok is not a KDE app, it isn't included in a base KDE install.
It is an app using QT. For the same reason deluge-torrent is an app using GTK and not a Gnomeapp.
There is a fine line wich makes the difference.

It's generally considered a KDE app if it's a QT app.

I even installed it on vista and it STILL said it was using KDE, if that doesn't make it a KDE app then i don't know what does.

If you install Kubuntu-desktop you'll get Amakrok, wouldn't it be strange if such an install included non KDE apps?

I guess it depends on what you view as a KDE app though, it requires KDE libs, it's automatically installed with KDE in Ubutu and a whole heap of other distros but no, it's not part of KDE base, in fact the overwhelming majority of applications we consider part of the KDE Desktop are not.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this, i get our point and you get mine i'm sure.

WishingWell
August 14th, 2007, 02:22 AM
a Qt app = an app that needs Qt
a KDE app = a Qt app that needs KDE libraries and stuff
an official KDE app = a KDE app that's part of the KDE project

Well that definition would mean that Amarok is a KDE app since it requires KDE libs.

WishingWell
August 14th, 2007, 02:25 AM
you guys are all correct but amarok is a kde program. Its even hosted on the KDE web site., and I believe its also part of the kde svn.

I don't think amarok started off as a kde app but it was added after awhile, the same thing happened with superkaramba

THANK YOU!

I was going nuts looking for that link, i knew i had seen it somewhere but i've been too dug down in family business lately so i had completely forgotten what it was.

bwtranch
August 14th, 2007, 02:27 AM
Interesting, but academic. You are all talking about desktops as though they are OS's. Linux is the OS.

DimitrisC
August 14th, 2007, 02:50 AM
I think making apps such as Amarok available to Windows users will be a step forward for Linux. Firefox has become very popular amongst Windows users and they all acknowledge that if it wasn't for open source they would still be using internet explorer (Internet Explorer = An application that helps the whole Internet Explore your PC). Amarok is also a great application and should have the same attention in Windows as it gets in Linux. I've been using Amarok for about 2 years now and I think is great.

Making people familiar with Linux applications will help them see beyond the misinformation that goes around in the internet that Linux is not ready, is so hard to use blah blah blah.....

WishingWell
August 14th, 2007, 03:02 AM
Interesting, but academic. You are all talking about desktops as though they are OS's. Linux is the OS.

How much do you want to bet that KDE4 will be available for FreeBSD before it's available for Linux.

DeadSuperHero
August 14th, 2007, 03:26 AM
Well, it's cross-platform.
But it's all being released on the same day, so it's all good.
When KDE4 is out, I'll definitely check it out. I've been reading up on the technology, it's full of truly brilliant ideas.

forrestcupp
August 14th, 2007, 04:12 AM
The whole point is that if all of these Linux programs work in Windows, why bother switching to Linux?

Anthem
August 14th, 2007, 05:00 AM
The whole point is that if all of these Linux programs work in Windows, why bother switching to Linux?
Because it will run all of the programs you're used to, for free, using fewer resources, and without the security concerns?

vexorian
August 14th, 2007, 05:06 AM
1. Kde4 Windows port!! What? This guys runs Amarok on Vista! but if i were a vista user, why i should use linux? Linux (or kde) programs working on windows, but Linux can't support ".exe" files everytime..!

Only new thing is that KDE4 apps will work on windows. QT has always been cross platform most notoriously google earth uses QT. And things like thegimp, firefox, openoffice worked on windows all the time.

Regarding yor "why should I use Linux if windows can run Linux programs?" It is a wrong assumption that people switch to Linux because of its programs, there are a lot of reasons people switch to Linux, the top 4 reasons people switch to Linux are: Open source, windows, Microsoft and malware. (please note tha 90% of the statistics are made up)

I think It would be lovely to have KPDF on windows. It would also be awesome to have a portable KDE4, that you can run from a flash disk, I got a flash disk filled with a lot of portable open source I use when I am forced to use a computer that does not have ubuntu.

stmiller
August 14th, 2007, 05:23 AM

Sorry to start the mess. I think I started the confusion.
QT4 is not KDE specific. VLC will be using QT4 for GUI, so it will be a QT4 app you could say. Same for Amarok 2.0, and others. This makes the program much more portable to be able to run on any operating system.

Read about QT here:

http://trolltech.com/products/qt/whatsnew

The work on Amarok 2.0 has been porting Amarok to QT4.

All of KDE is being ported to QT4, which will allow KDE4 apps to run on OS X or Windows.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDE_4