PDA

View Full Version : I guess I'm the first in Evansville...

WheelDweller
August 13th, 2007, 09:52 PM
There's not a lot of Linux here, but I'm inclined to stay to take care of Mom. I started a Linux User Group once upon a time, but then moved off to Chicago a few times. Others are doing that, now.

I'm most interested in finding Linux work...any chances? I'm a sysadmin, not a programmer, though I know how to script...

irish_flu
August 14th, 2007, 04:24 AM
I'm a sysadmin myself, buddy. You can find work for sure, but it sure helps if you're willing to do some Windows stuff as well.

Ask around, maybe at the U of E? You might also check with Windows-centric "IT Services" companies, too; I bet many of them have a business or corporate client that uses/prefers Linux, and would like to be able to provide service to them.

irish_flu
August 14th, 2007, 04:29 AM
PS don't forget to look online for gigs, too. I telecommute these days, and it's great. My office is a 14-hour drive away from my house. :)

simon.a.ruiz
August 15th, 2007, 01:29 AM
Finding Linux work is still not exactly an easy thing, but make yourself a part of communities and mailing lists, and the information will come to you.

I got my last job via the Ubuntu Education community, for example.

I know the Hoosier Education Computer Coordinators' mailing list pretty regularly sees job postings, if you're looking for technical work in Indiana schools. <http://hecc.k12.in.us/list.aspx>

DanielDunn
August 15th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Hello WheelDweller - there are a few of us crazies from the Evansville area... I live in Newburgh :)

caricc
August 20th, 2007, 03:04 AM
not really......I'm here in boonville/chandler area......

aaron.dunlap
August 26th, 2007, 07:22 PM
I'm also in Evansville. Programmer for AGF downtown, hoping to someday move into a Linux Admin position. Would love to be part of the LoCo!

jawbreaker
September 9th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Hello WheelDweller - there are a few of us crazies from the Evansville area... I live in Newburgh :)

I think I work with you. Or rather, work at the same place.

simon.a.ruiz
September 10th, 2007, 06:24 PM
I'm also in Evansville. Programmer for AGF downtown, hoping to someday move into a Linux Admin position. Would love to be part of the LoCo!

Welcome aboard, Aaron!

We're having our monthly IRC meeting tonight, if you wanna jump on and say hi. The announcement is on this forum a couple of posts back.

brandonblm
November 15th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Hey all! There is a linux users group in Evansville, IN. Here is the website, http://eville-lug.vndv.com
It is a new website, so bear with us. We do have meetings on the last saturday of every month. These meetings are located at Ivy Tech on 1st ave. in evansville. Go to the website to find more info. This club is small, (I think 9 or so people) but is is growing fast. We welcome all newcomers!

irpapabear
December 8th, 2008, 11:50 PM
ubuntu is alive and well in evensville. hope we get the site going soon and all meet on irc...welcome to the free world!

simon.a.ruiz
December 17th, 2008, 10:56 PM
It's cool to heard that an Evansville LUG is taking off; apparently with a strong Ubuntu presence?

I tried to check out the site, but there seems to be some sort of PHP error accessing the database.

greendayzero
January 23rd, 2009, 01:06 AM
The eLug (Evansville LUG) is back up now! Please visit http://evansvillelug.net for more details.

keisterstash
September 1st, 2011, 12:21 AM
Hey guys, we have an active Linux User Group around e-ville, 45 minutes north-east.

We have a few guys that drive from e-ville so car pooling is always an option.

Dubois County Linux User Group

dclinux.org

We have presentations, live demo's, and we work on projects.

Here is a pic of our lab: sickbits.networklabs.org/pics/not_finished.jpg

We run a security/hacker(ish) type group as well, were we work on projects and collaborate:
sickbits.networklabs.org

Check us out, we'd love to hear from you...

jonschipp@gmail.com
info@dclinux.org
irc.freenode.net
#sickbit