PDA

View Full Version : Guitars aren't ready for everyday people!

picpak
August 13th, 2007, 05:54 PM
My friend got me an electric guitar over the weekend, and I've had a horrible first experience. After spending 5 minutes with it, I couldn't play like Joe Satriani or Angus Young at all! My friend showed me a site called guitarguide.org which gives me free guitar tabs, but I don't understand any of it. A new user shouldn't have to learn this at all, it should be built into the guitar by default! I tried something called Guitaromatix that's supposed to make it easier to use, but all it did was break the strings.

This experience has been one big joke. I'm sticking with my banjo, thank you very much.

lbyrd33
August 13th, 2007, 06:21 PM
I agree. It took me the better part of my teen years to learn how to play like the best. Remember, it takes lots of practice to do anything very well.

kellemes
August 13th, 2007, 06:23 PM
:lolflag:

Bachstelze
August 13th, 2007, 06:24 PM
That's the very reason why I play drums. Everything's built-in, you just need to hit it.

popch
August 13th, 2007, 06:25 PM
It's your own fault. You should have stuck with Open Source Scores.

blithen
August 13th, 2007, 06:39 PM
:lolflag::guitar:

happy-and-lost
August 13th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Don't even get me started on bass...

popch
August 13th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Don't even get me started on bass...

It's much the same but on a lower level.

ThinkBuntu
August 13th, 2007, 06:46 PM
That's the very reason why I play drums. Everything's built-in, you just need to hit it.
^ OSX User ^

tcpip4lyfe
August 13th, 2007, 06:51 PM
^ OSX User ^

lol

ankursethi
August 13th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Guitars suck big time. Here's what I had to do to get mine working.

1. First, the entire guitar was covered in a brownish painty-thingy. I had to go to guitar-look.org to change the color.

2. Then the flashing LED's wouldn't work. Turns out I had to get some batteries from gVidia to get them working.

3. I couldn't play any heavy metal on the guitar. In the end, it turned out that I had ffguitarstrings and g32heavymetal in the guitar box itself. All I had to do was to jimmyhendrix-get install them.

hardyn
August 13th, 2007, 06:52 PM
well after a week of trying to take the guitar out of case im sorry to say that im going back to the cow-bell. is too hard to open the case. then you have to be a professional musician then connect it to the amp, which has way too many dials to be of any use to an average joe. the guitar is not ready yet.

just like the above poster, i agree, how is this guitar thing ever going to replace the cow-bell, before you want to do anything you have to use the turney things at the top of the stock. with a cow-bell you just hit it, and it works every time.

maybe i try to pick up the guitar again in a year or two when the case is easier to open, and the amplifier is automatic, until then i am going to keep with my cow-bell.

picpak
August 13th, 2007, 07:03 PM
3. I couldn't play any heavy metal on the guitar. In the end, it turned out that I had ffguitarstrings and g32heavymetal in the guitar box itself. All I had to do was to jimmyhendrix-get install them.

I got problems when I tried doing that:

Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.

Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
that package should be filed.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
vanhalen: Depends: davidleeroth (>= 1984) but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages

happy-and-lost
August 13th, 2007, 07:09 PM
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/2940/threaddn4.jpg

Bachstelze
August 13th, 2007, 07:27 PM
^ OSX User ^

Nope. But I admit OSX made me want to hit it more often than not :D

argie
August 13th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Ha ha, funny thread.

bluenova
August 13th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Remeber guitars are not banjo's, and they don't try to be banjo's.

bobbocanfly
August 13th, 2007, 08:34 PM
2007.10 GUITARS SHOULD NOT BE USED FOR YOUR MAIN GUITAR UNTIL OCTOBER 2007
If you decide to usethese guitars then you are doing it on your own risk and with the risk of major breakage and possibly losing fingers.

lepz
August 13th, 2007, 08:42 PM
My friend got me an electric guitar over the weekend, and I've had a horrible first experience. After spending 5 minutes with it, I couldn't play like Joe Satriani or Angus Young at all! My friend showed me a site called guitarguide.org which gives me free guitar tabs, but I don't understand any of it. A new user shouldn't have to learn this at all, it should be built into the guitar by default! I tried something called Guitaromatix that's supposed to make it easier to use, but all it did was break the strings.

This experience has been one big joke. I'm sticking with my banjo, thank you very much.

Classic :lolflag:

regomodo
August 13th, 2007, 08:44 PM
It's much the same but on a lower level.

oi!

happy-and-lost
August 14th, 2007, 02:50 PM
I bought a Vox Valvetronix amplifier the other day, and you would not believe how un-user friendly it is! It has 9 knobs and 7 buttons, and I'm expected to read a 35 page instruction booklet before I even turn it on.

http://www.voxamps.co.uk/valvetronix/images/AD50_top.jpg

I mean, I'm expected to be able to work that? Surely a more user-friendly tick-box effects selection process should be developed. In fact, it should just have one button and one knob.

I'm going back to the acoustic guitar.

FuturePilot
August 14th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Is this somehow related to the Linux isn't ready for the desktop debate? Lol.

Just keep at it, I'm sure you'll learn it. ;)

:guitar:

Sp4cedOut
August 14th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Guitars aren't ready for everyday people!

You're right, it's only meant for people willing to spend hours getting it to work.

@trophy
August 14th, 2007, 04:21 PM
You're right, it's only meant for people willing to spend hours getting it to work.

QFT

Linux is better if you put the work into it, but you have to put the work in because you don't then Linux will suck compared to an out-of-the-box mac, for instance. To put it another way, Linux is like marriage. The payoff is huge, but it's a hell of a lot of work, so it's not for everybody.

DoktorSeven
August 14th, 2007, 04:24 PM
This thread goes to 11.

@trophy
August 14th, 2007, 04:40 PM
This thread goes to 11.

That's one louder!

caricc
August 14th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Is there a chord or tab capture program available? That will pull them from an mp3?

ticopelp
August 14th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Guys, I don't think this is very funny. If guitars don't learn to give Joe Musician what he wants and allow him to make music without having to pluck the strings and use the frets, guitars will never be anything more than a toy.

The average musician will not learn to pluck the strings. Period.

Miguel
August 14th, 2007, 05:47 PM
I'll tell you why guitars aren't ready for the masses. Just look at Mark Knopfler live. First he has a Pensa Mk 80. Oh, great. Then on the next song he starts playing a '53 Stratocaster. That's not it, as he also plays a Telecaster. Brilliant. If that weren't enogh, he will also play a Resonator Guitar (say what?) and, of course, a Les Paul. See? One artist, one concert, like 10 guitars. How am I supposed to choose between oh so many different guitars?

And don't get me started on the amplis. I've got friends that swear by soldanos on stratocaster, but others wouldn't play those for money. All they want is their Marshalls and ther Les Pauls. One market, one guitar, one amplifier. Until then, guitars are a no go.

jclmusic
August 14th, 2007, 05:53 PM
i lol'd!!

it took me pretty much 10 years to get where i am now with the classical and jazz guitar stuff i do.

Gremlinzzz
August 14th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Guitar playing is easier with a teacher I'm self taught no glory in that statement it takes allot more time if you have to figure things out yourself.Get a teacher.:guitar:

vexorian
August 14th, 2007, 06:00 PM
I hit drums so hard they eventually break =(

mysticmatrix
August 21st, 2007, 11:42 PM
I hit drums so hard they eventually break =(

One of the problems with Guitar is lack of good frequency drivers.
Frankly, a guitar can only play very selected frequencies. Other frequency are all proprietary, and you have to break the Guitar[LAW] to get them.

Thus for most part, I'll stay with Drums, which splat out everything when I hit them, and even offer some protected frequency by use of special sticks :guitar:

yeehawjared
September 20th, 2007, 02:31 AM
Learning guitar really isn't all that hard! People who play GuitarHero could probably be pretty good at the real thing if they would have invested their time playing the real thing :)

Lots of sites out there have really good how to videos, like http://www.guitarvideotabs.com

stalker145
September 20th, 2007, 06:52 PM
This argument has been around for ages and has stressed out more people than I care to think of. Rest assured, though, that if you just put in a little time and keep an open mind, you can definitely get your guitar to work for you.

If you absolutely must have your musical intrument and can not devote the minimal amount of time required to learn it, I invite you to go with what works. Your cow bell, your drums, even your banjo may just be what you need right now and the guitar simply is unable at this point in time to provide the pleasure you require.

Please check back with your guitar in a year - I can guarantee that it will be better able to provide for your needs.