PDA

View Full Version : Compiled Languages Beyond C++

ankursethi
August 13th, 2007, 04:46 PM
I post this here because this is quite a non-technical question that arose when I read an article on Slashdot.

Okay, so C++ is that do-it-all compiled language used everywhere from games to desktop apps to system apps. But I don't want to use C++ because but I'd like to use something with a little more coherent syntax.

I tried looking around and found a lot of compiled languages, but the number was overwhelming and looking at Freshmeat revealed that most of these languages aren't used too widely. Hence I cannot find code examples and docs that might come in handy while learning the language.

What choices do I have that can match up to C++ in terms of -
1. Library support - a decent GUI toolkit, XML processing, the works.
2. Documentation - must be complete.
3. Help forums/IRC/Wiki's etc.

Remember, this has to be a compiled language. I was thinking D, Haskell, CLisp ... learning which one of these will be worthwhile?

By the way, I'm not throwing C++ out of the window just yet. It's a bitch to work with, but it's probably the only thing we have until something better comes along.

Don't bother with suggesting C#, Java or Python/Ruby. All these are not languages, they are platforms. All these languages are simply "I can do it better than you!" languages that introduce nothing revolutionary, just prettier syntax and hand-holding.

GM