PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for new features in upcoming Pidgin versions

vishzilla
August 13th, 2007, 02:42 PM
I love using Pidgin, but I feel some very common features are missing. So spill out what features should be included in the upcoming PIdgin versions.
Some features which should be included:
(minor suggestion) tooltips over smileys giving the descriptions
blink on new mails too

ckaya
August 20th, 2007, 03:32 PM
- support for msn status messages

kellemes
August 20th, 2007, 03:50 PM
I love using Pidgin, but I feel some very common features are missing. So spill out what features should be included in the upcoming PIdgin versions.
Some features which should be included:
(minor suggestion) tooltips over smileys giving the descriptions
blink on new mails too

About tooltips.. you actually mean descriptions? Like "Smile"?
Now the tooltip already shows the way to type the smilies, like ':-)' (how do I do this without a smily shown??)

In general I don't want Pidgin to be a bloated app. like msn-messenger. The hole plugin-system is made to have a light app. with all the features you want through plugins.

katasuka
August 20th, 2007, 06:28 PM
i like pidgin, but i wonder why the heck isnt it in the repo? i couldnt find it and last time i compiled it from source i had a lot of problems getting msn to work (ssl thing). i dont use msn but my wife does so unless its in a precompiled package and everything work, im stickin with the latest gaim in the repo. (yes i know pidgin is the newest version of what used to be gaim)

fyllekajan
August 20th, 2007, 06:40 PM
My thoughts of pidgin...

1. Is a really great app.. for what it's designed to do.
2. Is surrounded by too much hype.. they've been promising implementing voip and video support since 2005.. but nothing ever happens.
3. Has a great logo (the name) but the bird looks like infected with bird flue.
4. The latest UI looks worse then the previous one.

Depressed Man
August 20th, 2007, 06:46 PM
i like pidgin, but i wonder why the heck isnt it in the repo? i couldnt find it and last time i compiled it from source i had a lot of problems getting msn to work (ssl thing). i dont use msn but my wife does so unless its in a precompiled package and everything work, im stickin with the latest gaim in the repo. (yes i know pidgin is the newest version of what used to be gaim)

The way Ubuntu is designed is that once it comes out, software is frozen. So Firefox, Gaim, Thunderbird, etc.. aren't going update (besides security updates). To prevent anything from breaking it. Though you can always grab new debs from www.getdeb.net

However you'll have to update it yourself (you won't get any update notifications from the package manager).

SlugO
August 20th, 2007, 06:50 PM
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the upcoming merging of MSNP14 (http://developer.pidgin.im/roadmap) is finally gonna give us a good MSN support for Pidgin.

Sure, it would be nice to use just open source protocols and stuff but the reality is that here in Europe probably 9 out of 10 ppl use MSN for their IM. There's no way you can convert all your friends and their friends to something like Jabber.

Until now the only word to describe Pidgin's MSN support has been ancient. I mean, come on... It's using something like MSNP8 protocol from the days of MSN Messenger 5.0.

This has lead me to try several other IM programs for Linux. Monkey Messenger and Emesene seem nice and atleast they do status messages but otherwise they're lacking in features. The only one with about enough features has been Mercury Messenger but I don't feel like disabling Compiz Fusion since it's made with Java.

So my answer is that I'm expecting and up-to-date MSN support :) Hopefully this will bring status messages, file transfers that aren't extremely slow and maybe custom smileys too.

PHuN
August 20th, 2007, 06:57 PM
I have noticed that while chatting with friends, they will send "custom" smileys to me - Pidgin decodes the *.png just fine, but I have yet to find a way to a) either save them sothat I can use them myself or b) been able to send on the fly *.png's back. I think that the emoticons add a little bit of fun to a simple conversation.

picpak
August 20th, 2007, 08:47 PM
AIM may be what the US uses, and Pidgin may work well for them, but the majority of the rest of the world uses MSN. Here's some things that Pidgin needs:

WEBCAM SUPPORT
MIC SUPPORT
Support for MSN statuses
Support for media players to display the current playing song in MSN statuses
Support for custom emoticons
Winks, nudges, buzzes (for whoever actually wants them; they can be disabled, obviously)

Right now I'm using aMSN. Pidgin's a joke right now.

tehkain
August 20th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Switch to telepathy. I know this is a ridiculously - but it means SIP, Jabber-libjingle, video, audio, and many other things... Most protocols too.

Kingsley
August 20th, 2007, 09:17 PM
AIM may be what the US uses, and Pidgin may work well for them, but the majority of the rest of the world uses MSN. Here's some things that Pidgin needs:

WEBCAM SUPPORT
MIC SUPPORT
Support for MSN statuses
Support for media players to display the current playing song in MSN statuses
Support for custom emoticons
Winks, nudges, buzzes (for whoever actually wants them; they can be disabled, obviously)

Right now I'm using aMSN. Pidgin's a joke right now.
Yeah, that's pretty much all that's missing for me in Pidgin.

karellen
August 20th, 2007, 09:27 PM
webcam support
photo sharing
file transfer support
imho these are a 'must have'

picpak
August 20th, 2007, 09:52 PM
file transfer support

File Transfers work perfectly for me. What problems are you having?

karellen
August 20th, 2007, 09:59 PM
File Transfers work perfectly for me. What problems are you having?

maybe between pidgin and pidgin, but I always encounter problems when someone using yahoo mess sends me a file. it doesn't really matters, I'm using yahoo messenger/windows live messenger anyway...

vishzilla
August 21st, 2007, 04:02 AM
the real feature i like about Pidgin, its so customizable with the plugins. there is no harm in including a little more plugins like webcam support...

leftyfb
August 21st, 2007, 05:07 AM
Protocol-specific icons in the buddy list as opposed to the generic green icon everyone gets. I want to know who is signed onto what protocol just by looking at my buddy list which is always open. I do not want to hover over a buddy or bring up a chat window. I just want to look at the buddy list and see who is signed onto what protocol.

Chris11
August 31st, 2007, 11:52 PM
File transfer - does not work if the other part is no using Pidgin..

ryno519
September 1st, 2007, 12:32 AM
File transfer - does not work if the other part is no using Pidgin..

I transfer to people using msn messenger all the time.

Lord Illidan
September 1st, 2007, 12:34 AM
So do I, but it is god awful slow..like 1.3 kb/s constantly...my friends all report faster speeds than that when transferring among themselves.

Nonno Bassotto
September 1st, 2007, 01:36 AM
AFAIK Pidgin only supports the old (via server) MSN transfer protocol, and not the faster P2P protocol. So file transfer works, but it is not feasible for bigger files.

Tiekyl
September 1st, 2007, 01:50 AM
I think it has to do with the protocol that it uses, as even aMSN cant do this, but it'd be nice if sometime in the future you could send messages to people that are offline. (Invisible).

Johnsie
September 1st, 2007, 02:14 AM
Video, Audio.... seriously. Instant messaging over the major networks in Linux is like going back to the mid-90's. The rest of the world has gone multimedia. This is one of the big things that makes people not want to use Linux.

jtarosky
October 19th, 2007, 09:47 PM
A shortcut for going between tabbed conversations would be helpful.

Tiekyl
October 19th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Does ctrl-tab work for that jtarosky?

Chang An
October 20th, 2007, 08:34 AM
I hope in a future release pidgin actually works with qq instead of just pretending it does. That or stop saying it supports qq would be cool.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3471812#post3471812

aggierandy
October 25th, 2007, 04:23 PM
I think the most significant update would be a viable way to video chat/ conference with anyone using ichat. This represents a large number of people with little computer know how and an infrastructure already in place to video chat. If you have every tried to do this from windows to mac you will see loads of problems. There just isn't a product available. I think this would be one area where Pidgin could really gain some ground on competitors. Actually I think it would be a nail in the coffin for most of them.

EdThaSlayer
October 25th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Pidgin needs to be more stable. Everytime I'm logged into both MSN and Yahoo it crashes. Too bad I haven't filed the bug(was a bit too lazy back in the day).

mpsii
July 12th, 2012, 09:02 PM
This seems a regression of a patch from 5 years ago, but having something like the following pasted in XMPP chat:

-DJDBCProgramName=DS/HCMDomain/odi_server2

shows this instead in the chat window:

-DJDBCProgramName:pS/HCMDomain/odi_server2

which is very confusing to the reader. I have checked this on pidgin 2.10.6 and prior on all platforms.