PDA

View Full Version : I can't believe how responsive and light on resources Linux is!

jeremy1138
August 13th, 2007, 01:49 AM
I just started up a whole bunch of stuff on my computer and I can't believe how little resources it uses to run all of this. It's so responsive still and nothing is freezing up at all. It only uses 465 of my 865 MB of available RAM. I have 20 different applications running all at once and things are still running smoothly! You could probably never have this in Windows! I have Firefox with lots of tabs open, Gimp, Pidgin, the terminal window, some file browser windows, the system monitor, gparted, Automatix, Totem movie player, Ubuntu help center, calculator, disk usage monitor, and way more that I'm not going to list all running at once! It's just amazing and I wanted to let everyone know about this that may not know already, especially those of you that are unsure about switching to Linux, how great the OS really is! :)

init1
August 13th, 2007, 02:04 AM
I just started up a whole bunch of stuff on my computer and I can't believe how little resources it uses to run all of this. It's so responsive still and nothing is freezing up at all. It only uses 465 of my 865 MB of available RAM. I have 20 different applications running all at once and things are still running smoothly! You could probably never have this in Windows! I have Firefox with lots of tabs open, Gimp, Pidgin, the terminal window, some file browser windows, the system monitor, gparted, Automatix, Totem movie player, Ubuntu help center, calculator, disk usage monitor, and way more that I'm not going to list all running at once! It's just amazing and I wanted to let everyone know about this that may not know already, especially those of you that are unsure about switching to Linux, how great the OS really is! :) Good! I am glad it works for you. In fact, there are even faster distros availible that use even less ram. Right now, I am using TTY linux on a pen drive and it only takes up 5MB ram, and even less on my pen drive. You definatly can't do that in Windows :D

Compucore
August 13th, 2007, 02:29 AM
This is why I love linux on my laptop top. When you have enough ram on a computer that your putting linux on. It works with a charm. Maybe a slight swapping here and there when there is not enough ram. But when you go over the recommened where it does not start to swap out. Its almost as smooth as a baby bottom. I cannot complain about linux on my laptop at all.

Init1 I didn't know you could do that with a pendrive. I remember with slackware or with suse that you could install a basic version of linux that would take only 40 megs on a 386 or a 486 system hard drive. And it was formatted on a Fat16 partition. And only 4 megs of ram.

HermanAB
August 13th, 2007, 02:33 AM
I use this one on a USB stick on one of my laptops: http://puppyos.org

It encrypts the stick too. It works like a charm and runs blazingly fast.

g2g591
August 13th, 2007, 02:44 AM
I know, I switched from Vista because of how crappy it ran on my 512Mb of ram, and I'm loving it. With Beryl, I'm getting even better visual effects, with less cpu and ram usage

Andrewie
August 13th, 2007, 02:47 AM
I know, I switched from Vista because of how crappy it ran on my 512Mb of ram, and I'm loving it. With Beryl, I'm getting even better visual effects, with less cpu and ram usage

vista runs like crap on my laptop and I have 1.4 GB of ram

jeremy1138
August 13th, 2007, 02:47 AM

That's the only trouble that I have with Ubuntu... I can't get anything that requires 3d acceleration to work...

g2g591
August 13th, 2007, 03:04 AM
Yea, I can get beryl to work, but for some reason 3d chess doesn't work even though I have the plugins installed that it asks for

init1
August 13th, 2007, 04:58 AM
This is why I love linux on my laptop top. When you have enough ram on a computer that your putting linux on. It works with a charm. Maybe a slight swapping here and there when there is not enough ram. But when you go over the recommened where it does not start to swap out. Its almost as smooth as a baby bottom. I cannot complain about linux on my laptop at all.

Init1 I didn't know you could do that with a pendrive. I remember with slackware or with suse that you could install a basic version of linux that would take only 40 megs on a 386 or a 486 system hard drive. And it was formatted on a Fat16 partition. And only 4 megs of ram.
Yeah, I put Linux on my pen drives so that I could use Linux on computers with Windows, and for recovery. It's like a Live CD, but with read-write capabilities. I can be useful at times.