PDA

View Full Version : Novell owns Unix copyrights after all

WishingWell
August 13th, 2007, 01:03 AM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/11/novell_gets_unix_from_sco/

It seems that SCO owes Novell some dough. :D

ruibernardo
August 13th, 2007, 01:57 AM
Fine with me, Linux is UNIX-like, Linux != Unix.

DeadSuperHero
August 13th, 2007, 02:14 AM
Hey, maybe they can force Apple to go Open Source! :)

Anthem
August 13th, 2007, 02:20 AM
Hey, maybe they can force Apple to go Open Source! :)
Umm.... what?

This is about The SCO Group, there's nothing here that relates to Apple. Apple's kernel is based on BSD, not SCO's Unix. Again, this has absolutely nothing to do with Apple. If you'd been talking about Solaris, there could at least be a discussion (although I think it's pretty clear the answer is still no).

If you want to read up on the issue, try www.Groklaw.net.

Hex_Mandos
August 13th, 2007, 03:13 AM
BTW, Owning the UNIX copyright != owning the UNIX trademark. Novell doesn't have the latter. What Apple has, beyond the BSD code, is permission to call their OSes Unix, which AFAIK Novell can't do anything about.

Myself, I'm just waiting to see what SCOX's opening price is tomorrow. :twisted:

dasunst3r
August 13th, 2007, 03:19 AM
What's more important is that SCO is toast. A stock-trading friend of mine is getting ready to short-sell the heck out of SCO. :evil:

steveneddy
August 13th, 2007, 03:39 AM
Which explains why Microsoft was so interested in this deal. And maybe why Novell went for it so fast, in our eyes, anyway.

Microsoft has been trying to get their hands on ownership of Unix for decades. Bill knows he made a mistake many years ago and now he's trying to re-write history by trying to get the Unix source code ownership.

Drama, all drama.

dasunst3r
August 13th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Justice: http://finance.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ:SCOX

If you were planning on short-selling, looks like you missed your opportunity. Sorry. :(

By the way: If one were to have gotten in on SCO's IPO, he/she would have lost 99.55% of what they invested. :lolflag:

stmiller
August 13th, 2007, 06:08 PM
http://www.grundsteinlego.de/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/nelsonHaHa.jpg

phrostbyte
August 13th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Justice: http://finance.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ:SCOX

If you were planning on short-selling, looks like you missed your opportunity. Sorry. :(

By the way: If one were to have gotten in on SCO's IPO, he/she would have lost 99.55% of what they invested. :lolflag:

Wow did SCO's stock just drop 75% in a day?

igknighted
August 13th, 2007, 08:23 PM

Well, it dropped in after-hours trading over the weekend... but yeah, pretty much.

@trophy
August 13th, 2007, 08:24 PM

Yup :)

And the icing on the cake is that Microsoft POURED money into this thing before it all caved in. Apparently the sun even shines on a penguin's a$$ some days...

steveneddy
August 14th, 2007, 04:00 AM
This is what happens when you do business with Microsoft and take their advice.

dasunst3r
August 14th, 2007, 04:09 AM
Here's something I whipped up to commemorate this event. I'll update the screenshot later if anything interesting happens in the week. If someone can come up with a better slogan, I would highly appreciate it.

Anthem
August 14th, 2007, 04:55 AM
Which explains why Microsoft was so interested in this deal. And maybe why Novell went for it so fast, in our eyes, anyway.

Microsoft has been trying to get their hands on ownership of Unix for decades. Bill knows he made a mistake many years ago and now he's trying to re-write history by trying to get the Unix source code ownership.
That makes no sense at all. The Microsoft-Novell deal had nothing to do with the Unix copyrights. Also, if MS wanted to use a Unix kernel, they could do the same thing Apple did: get a BSD kernel and go from there.

It's not like Unix is some secret thing. There are whole books written about the Unix source code. If MS wanted to be based on Unix, they could do that tomorrow without involving Novell.

WishingWell
August 14th, 2007, 05:30 AM
Umm.... what?

This is about The SCO Group, there's nothing here that relates to Apple. Apple's kernel is based on BSD, not SCO's Unix. Again, this has absolutely nothing to do with Apple. If you'd been talking about Solaris, there could at least be a discussion (although I think it's pretty clear the answer is still no).

If you want to read up on the issue, try www.Groklaw.net.

eh. no, they did no use FreeBSD's kernel, the userland however, is directly stolen from FreeBSD, so is the libc and the a.out.

But you are right on that ithis has little to do with Apple.

cmat
August 14th, 2007, 05:35 AM
Novell's went up too.

toupeiro
August 14th, 2007, 06:26 AM
That makes no sense at all. The Microsoft-Novell deal had nothing to do with the Unix copyrights. Also, if MS wanted to use a Unix kernel, they could do the same thing Apple did: get a BSD kernel and go from there.

It's not like Unix is some secret thing. There are whole books written about the Unix source code. If MS wanted to be based on Unix, they could do that tomorrow without involving Novell.

This isn't about Microsoft wanting to USE a unix kernel more than its about Microsoft having their hooks into UNIX copyrights even if by a partner for now... Have you seriously not seen Microsoft operate over the last decade+? This is how Microsoft capitalized on Apple and IBM's OSes in regards to windows advancements, by various deals struck "for the users". Truthfully, it turns into what they don't assimilate like the borg, they legally destroy, sanction, or technologically restrict until it is unusable. Sorry, I still remember the Sun Java versus Microsoft Virtual Machine, I still have to support proprietary ActiveX websites, and remember the fate of OSes like OS/2 Warp, and why. That lovely startmenu GUI everyone came to know in Windows 95 as the replacement to Program Manager was an IBM concept that they let too much control fall into the hands of the big M$.. I had little faith Microsofts partnership with Novell was to benefit us, the users. It sounded like hot air from the first word. This is just sound confirmation.

If anyone really wants to see what may eventually become of SuSe and potentially other linux distributions, research OS/2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS/2)..

Some more history about GUI's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_graphical_user_interface)

The point: Microsoft is getting exactly what they want, while convincing us we are getting exactly what we want, but in the end, Microsoft will benefit at our cost.

mips
August 14th, 2007, 10:33 AM
eh. no, they did no use FreeBSD's kernel, the userland however, is directly stolen from FreeBSD, so is the libc and the a.out.

Nothing was "stolen", the BSD license allows for it to be used. You are implying Apple committed a crime.

kripkenstein
August 14th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Here's something I whipped up to commemorate this event. I'll update the screenshot later if anything interesting happens in the week.

Very nice! :)

EDIT: shortened quote