PDA

View Full Version : Most important open source software

phrostbyte
August 12th, 2007, 11:45 PM
What is the most important open source application for Linux's success?

tdrusk
August 12th, 2007, 11:47 PM
I came to Linux I was drawn by Amarok. Everyone claims it's so great. So now I'm on Ubuntu and don't even use Linux.

I think Firefox is the most important open-source program. It shows how secure open-source can be.

hardyn
August 13th, 2007, 12:06 AM
open-office; not just for linux however, it really shows what is possible with open source; a (for most people) a drop in replacement to Ms-office

Arisna
August 13th, 2007, 12:09 AM
I'd say the GNU Compiler Collection (gcc) is most important. Without it, development and packaging would be extremely difficult at best.

DeadSuperHero
August 13th, 2007, 01:37 AM
At the moment, I'd say the gcc. It's the tools that make the rest possible!
Though, GNOME and KDE have it tied for second in my mind. KDE4 looks like it's going to be absolutely fantastic, and GNOME's ease of use makes me love Ubuntu.

starcraft.man
August 13th, 2007, 01:50 AM
Ummm, IMO this thread is looking at Linux success the wrong way. It's not about any one project being better/more important than the next or giving it all the credit for the move of Linux into somewhat mainstream. It's about the community and how it mostly (admittedly some conflict) comes together to develop and push forward programs and distributions. That's what I think anyway, I abstained from voting.

misfitpierce
August 13th, 2007, 01:53 AM
I believe they are all important... Gnome is definatly important in the Ubuntu world as it is the most used so needs to be the most developed and ahead of it's game. Everything in general is the key to linux's success and we need them all. :)

WishingWell
August 13th, 2007, 02:09 AM
Most important is Linux.

GCC, the userland and X are very important too.

Nekiruhs
August 13th, 2007, 02:10 AM
1. The Kernel
2. GCC
3. G++
4. Package Manager

loell
August 13th, 2007, 02:20 AM
as others stated, its GCC ;)

putting the c language as the most important programming language in the open source,

almost safe
to say that its the end all be all language :lolflag:

FuturePilot
August 13th, 2007, 04:13 AM
Is it possible to name just one?

Quillz
August 13th, 2007, 04:19 AM
I would argue WINE, because, like it or not, the world uses Windows. Being able to run Windows programs on Linux is very significant.

reacocard
August 13th, 2007, 06:02 AM
In my opinion, no one application is the most important, what is most important is the fact that this high-quality software is available, works well with other software, and is completely free! Not to mention the huge active communities that spring up around these projects.

init1
August 13th, 2007, 06:04 AM
Wine. It helps with transition.

LookTJ
August 13th, 2007, 08:32 AM
The tools. for example gcc, python, etc.

cunawarit
August 13th, 2007, 08:51 AM
I'm on Ubuntu and don't even use Linux.

:confused: What do you mean?

Anyway, Linux already has its killer apps that have made it the dominant force in the server world. I don't think one single killer app will make Linux a powerful contender in the desktop world, it would need a combination of apps.

We also need to differentiate between the home desktop, and the corporate desktop. Both have distinct requirements that don't necessarily overlap.

Luinar
August 13th, 2007, 11:19 AM
It depends on how you're measuring the criteria for success. If it's about having a functional OS, then I would agree with GCC being the most important and so on.

In terms of transition to using open source, however, I would probably go with Firefox. In my own experience, at least, it was Firefox which first introduced me to the world of open source, made me realise that it can be easy to use and even better than paid software. After using Firefox for a while I started slowing replacing all of my apps one by one with open source ones, until I finally ended up replacing the entire OS.

5-HT
August 13th, 2007, 11:20 AM
The Linux Kernel, gcc, or Apache, bar none. What's with all the DEs? There are a plethora of apps working behind the scenes that make them possible. The same goes for browers, emulators (or rather, 'not emulators), package managers, and *cough* MS development suites, etc...

happysmileman
August 13th, 2007, 01:38 PM
I say KDE, not that i'm trying to claim it's better than GNOME(though it is much better in my opinion), but for the simple reason that it will be available on Windows as well, it may encourage people to try Linux once they realise it's a Linux DE.

GeneralZod
August 13th, 2007, 01:42 PM
I get the feeling that Firefox (+ extensions) is the most successful gateway drug, followed by OO.o, so I voted Firefox.

For me personally, though, it's KDE :guitar:

forrestcupp
August 13th, 2007, 01:44 PM
I was going to say gcc, but I see a lot of people have already said that. I was also thinking about the kernel because it's what makes all of the hardware and everything work, but the kernel is useless without gcc.

Lucretius
August 13th, 2007, 01:56 PM
I would have to say open-office.

Everyone needs office software, it's the foundation of the desktop computer, without it there would be little incentive for anyone to use Linux.

darksidedude
August 13th, 2007, 02:04 PM
I would have to say the kernal is the most important part:lolflag:

but on a seriouse note, Apt-yum-deb-RPm because base software is never enough

loell
August 13th, 2007, 02:20 PM
I would have to say open-office.

Everyone needs office software, it's the foundation of the desktop computer, without it there would be little incentive for anyone to use Linux.

highly doubt it, for the reason that nixs has already conquered the server space long ago, and the "incentive" were quite Huge,

and besides there are other oss office suites alternative to open-office.

mike102282
August 13th, 2007, 02:22 PM
I came to Linux I was drawn by Amarok. Everyone claims it's so great. So now I'm on Ubuntu and don't even use Linux.

I think Firefox is the most important open-source program. It shows how secure open-source can be.

Ubuntu is Linux!

ThinkBuntu
August 13th, 2007, 02:41 PM
You didn't even include the obvious choice: GCC. Without GCC (and its extensions) there would be none of the above-mentioned software. Not even the Linux kernel, which was originally compiled using GCC.

LaRoza
August 13th, 2007, 02:42 PM
You didn't even include the obvious choice: GCC. Without GCC (and its extensions) there would be none of the above-mentioned software. Not even the Linux kernel, which was originally compiled using GCC.

I agree, gcc is the most important.

vishzilla
August 13th, 2007, 02:44 PM
What is the most important open source application for Linux's success?

Package management, Linux's package management is 10/10

kellemes
August 13th, 2007, 02:47 PM
I really don't see the succes.
GNU/Linux is loosing ground in the servermarket and on the desktop it's not ready at all.

jclmusic
August 13th, 2007, 02:53 PM
i'd say gnome, kde, xfce or other DE's, because without them ur stuck with a command line lol and that's never gonna catch on.

vexorian
August 13th, 2007, 03:13 PM
firefox.

Like it or not, It is Open source's flag ship.

Alexander2007
August 13th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Gnome, because it has created a new graphical front end for Linux (It's simple and stable, the way it should be).

hessiess
August 13th, 2007, 05:13 PM
blender:)

ashvala
August 13th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Look at it this way:
the usabality of linux drew me towards it... All of these are important Open Source software but finally they got linux to the top.:guitar: