PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft said in an interview with Toronto District School Board

nowshining
August 12th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Toronto District School Board is mentioned on a search for linux at top well found this on Microsofts site:

Case Studies

New Search

Showing 1 - 10 of 200 case studies ordered by date

Case Study
Toronto District School Board

Toronto District School Board

The Toronto District School Board wanted a standardized desktop environment in order to increase service levels and decrease support costs. The district has evolved from a 60/40 percent PC/Mac ratio five years ago to a 90/10 percent PC/Mac ratio today. The board hopes to further increase services and decrease its break fix cost by deploying the Windows Vista® operating system. A business value case study conducted by IDC demonstrated that upgrading company PCs to Windows Vista would provide these benefits. Additionally, the analysis indicates that when the Toronto District School Board upgrades its PCs to Windows Vista, it can anticipate saving U.S.$237 per PC annually in reduced IT support costs and user labor: IT labor is projected to decrease by 10 percent, or $9 per PC, and user labor is expected to decrease by 43 percent, or $192 per PC.

now on this link story: http://www.itbusiness.ca/it/client/en/home/News.asp?id=39987

"A Microsoft spokesperson said the school board should comment on its decision to change the lab and that the decision had nothing to do with Microsoft."

lolz a lie Microsoft

http://www.microsoft.com/casestudies/search.aspx?Keywords=Linux

thelinux_guy
August 12th, 2007, 11:01 PM
We can use the Windows Vista environment to...ease the pain in the schools.... We can give [students] more rights and more freedom without opening up the systems to more security holes.

Wow. I don't think fading menu's and Application Windows and limited usability will help "ease" the pain in schools :?

And giving rights and more freedom to students ( or people in general ) Thats the polar opposite of the windows ( mostly Vista ) experience [-(

Without newer security holes? I just lol'ed a little :lolflag:

jgrabham
August 12th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Wow. I don't think fading menu's and Application Windows and limited usability will help "ease" the pain in schools :?

And giving rights and more freedom to students ( or people in general ) Thats the polar opposite of the windows ( mostly Vista ) experience [-(

Without newer security holes? I just lol'ed a little :lolflag:

Cant be as bad as using flash drives at my school

1) if you right click on the icon in the taskbar it moans that you're not a system administrator

2) you cant right click in windows explorer to eject

(well on some computers, ill never forget the day my friend was leaning on the desk in front of my computer - i went into windows explorer, right clicked - clicked eject - thje drive came out and hit him in the face :D - being a nerd is fun - most people I know dont know you can do that)

ddrichardson
August 12th, 2007, 11:32 PM
Much as I hate to play devils advocate when it comes to Microsoft, the Toronto decision was in July 2006 and the Microsoft case study is six months later in January 2007 so I'm not sure it can be called a lie - it appears to me to be fair enough for MS to capitalize on one organisation's decision to switch to Microsoft.

After all we'd capitalize on it were it the other way around.

nowshining
August 13th, 2007, 01:11 AM
Much as I hate to play devils advocate when it comes to Microsoft, the Toronto decision was in July 2006 and the Microsoft case study is six months later in January 2007 so I'm not sure it can be called a lie - it appears to me to be fair enough for MS to capitalize on one organisation's decision to switch to Microsoft.

After all we'd capitalize on it were it the other way around.

well actually there is a report if you do a search on the 6th month of 2007 plus if you go page by page and near in the end or middle - don't remember actually, well there are two MIcrosoft one's in there..lolz..anyway I was bored, Again if you search for the Vista products the school should be in there anyway...

Well about the boredom I anomymized google's cookie with proxomitron ;) using the all 0's method and still keep my prefs, I'm going to do this anonymizing with many sites I visit..lolz. ;) example are this site and yahoo...

Andrewie
August 13th, 2007, 02:46 AM
Cant be as bad as using flash drives at my school

1) if you right click on the icon in the taskbar it moans that you're not a system administrator

2) you cant right click in windows explorer to eject

(well on some computers, ill never forget the day my friend was leaning on the desk in front of my computer - i went into windows explorer, right clicked - clicked eject - thje drive came out and hit him in the face :D - being a nerd is fun - most people I know dont know you can do that)

rofl looks like the problem is all over ontario, I have the same problem and I'm in brantford. I'm off to college anyway so screw high school :lolflag:

cmat
August 13th, 2007, 03:56 AM
I know this is full of crap since 90% of PCs in Toronto and in Ontario Schools are 10 years old (I know because I use to do maintenance work in a school). They don't have the budget to upgrade all those PCs. If they do they will be like 5 of them in the schools library or computer lab. Not all the PCs hanging around the schools.

cmat
August 13th, 2007, 03:58 AM
rofl looks like the problem is all over ontario, I have the same problem and I'm in brantford. I'm off to college anyway so screw high school :lolflag:

Open up the help browser in any application > file > open > right click a folder > open in window. Secure like a rock.