PDA

View Full Version : ATI worries

jpr13
August 12th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Hello Ubuntu People of PA,

I have one vague question as of now.
I am going to install Feisty Fawn on an AMD64 with an ATI 9600 vid card. I read that it will default to 600x800 and I wont be able to finish the install and/or it will crash because of driver problems over and over.

Anything special I should know?

Jason "jpr13" Richardson

jimrz
August 12th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Hello Ubuntu People of PA,

I have one vague question as of now.
I am going to install Feisty Fawn on an AMD64 with an ATI 9600 vid card. I read that it will default to 600x800 and I wont be able to finish the install and/or it will crash because of driver problems over and over.

Anything special I should know?

Jason "jpr13" Richardson

try downloading and installing from the "alternate" cd ... it has a text based installer, but it is pretty straight forward and easy to follow. also, unless you have need for 64 bit to run I would install the generic 32 bit as it has fewer issues and there are very many prog's out just yet that need/can utilize the 64 bit capabilities.

jedijf
August 12th, 2007, 08:43 PM
i agree completely with jim and would like to add this link for a source of more info if you need it:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver

Welcome, and have a blast!

jpr13
August 12th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Thank you for the super quick answers...!

I downloaded the 64-bit alterantive disk already....
so you are saying to use the 32-bit ubuntu alterantive...
will it work just like the 32-bit win2k I am running right now with no problems? I think that is the drift of what you're saying.

jpr

jedijf
August 13th, 2007, 12:59 AM
yes, i believe that your best bet would be 32 alternate.

if the card gives you any grief, check out the link below, and don't forget to join the LoCo. See the forum thread or the Wiki for more info on joining.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=509240

Irc Chat on freenode #ubuntu-pennsylvania

www.meetlinux.com

Welcome, again.