PDA

View Full Version : user security questions

candtalan
August 12th, 2007, 07:57 PM
I have posted a thread start initial question and a follow up about security, and there seems to have been an immediate reaction to move and close the thread!

The current information I read is useful - I am not any expert - but I believed the forums are the place for questions, simple ones and also more advanced. I believe the code of conduct covers this?

I really do -not- understand some issues in this subject and I am upset that the one place I go to for expert discussion, is suddenly blocked for no reason I can see. I really do need to know some answers and surely here is the place to ask?

I am an energetic advocate of foss and K/Ubuntu and I am asked to give talks regularly to local computer clubs. I have just spent all day at a computer fair display table answering questions about - mostly Ubuntu. Give me the facility to understand these issues and I will spread the word, but block and a lot is lost - along with goodwill. One key question very recently was - about not getting linux malware, how and why.

How am I going to get a basic and sufficient understanding of an acceptable answer if my questions are abruptly closed!

If the relevant admin have an issue about something, it is surely not with me? What is going on? Maybe they know the answers, I certainly do not. That is why I came here.

Please undo the moved thread or at least be a bit more flexible about the discussion? I repeat I do need to understand about these issues, And I have seen from talking to others that it is a common question. I have to answer this to them, and I need answers, not silence please.

The brief discussion in what was my thread so far was useful, however some questions remain. Why was it blocked? have I done something wrong?
alan cocks, candtalan, Bracknell, UK

PriceChild
August 12th, 2007, 08:23 PM
For admins, his thread seems to be have merged to an existing, closed thread.

The reason for that thread's closure was given here http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=3089789&postcount=233

jdong
August 13th, 2007, 06:11 AM
It is my opinion that every question that could have been raised about that particular security "exploit" (a social engineering / phishing technique) has already been raised, and the discussion tended to restart itself every few pages and the same answers were given.

Closure of the thread was not an action intended to single out anyone's actions. If after carefully reading that thread, there are still concerns/questions not fully answered, please start a new thread.

aysiu
August 13th, 2007, 06:22 AM
How am I going to get a basic and sufficient understanding of an acceptable answer if my questions are abruptly closed! There are 240 posts in the closed thread. Read those posts. You'll get more than "a basic and sufficient understanding" from those posts.

bodhi.zazen
August 13th, 2007, 03:31 PM
For the admins, moving of this thread was discussed here :

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=523339

candtalan: If you have a specific question on security you are welcome to open a new thread.