PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Running Java with FontStruct problem

slamdunk12
August 12th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Hey there,

This is my first post in ubuntu forum, hooray...

Anyway back to business, when I tried to run my compiled java application in java i got these 2 error showing up:

Warning: Cannot convert string "-b&h-luxi sans-medium-r-normal--*-140-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1" to type FontStruct

Warning: Cannot convert string "-misc-ar pl shanheisun uni-medium-r-normal--*-*-*-*-p-*-iso10646-1" to type FontStruct

It didn't break my code, its just annoying to look at. I've search the forum for similar problems and so far I got nothing :mad:

Suggestion anyone?

nitro_n2o
August 12th, 2007, 10:45 AM
This isn't a java specific problem... it seems that your application can't find the fonts you want to use in the system.... try to change the font and use something normal to see if this warning goes away.. if not i think you need to install the needed fonts and direct your application to find them

slamdunk12
August 12th, 2007, 01:00 PM
I didn't use any special fonts for my application nitro_n2o, thats why I am puzzled to see those error :confused:. For your reference I copy paste my very simple application that can reproduce the problem on my machine:

import javax.swing.*;
import java.awt.Dimension;

public class jTank extends JFrame{

JButton bttTank = new JButton("x");

public jTank(){
super("Welcome to jTank");
setSize(300, 300);
setDefaultCloseOperation(JFrame.EXIT_ON_CLOSE);
JPanel pane = new JPanel();
bttTank.setPreferredSize(new Dimension(100, 30));
pane.add(bttTank);
add(pane);
//pack();
setVisible(true);
}

public static void main(String[] Arguments){
jTank showFrame = new jTank();
}
}

Any help will be much a preciated :rolleyes:

slamdunk12
August 12th, 2007, 01:02 PM
By the can, can you show me where do I find those fonts and how do i install them... thank you...

slamdunk12
August 13th, 2007, 04:43 AM
Problem Solved!

Java has an issue with my Beryl Window Manager, I revert back to Metacity (Gnome Windows Manager) and remove this line:

export AWT_TOOLKIT=MToolkit
at
gksudo gedit ~/.bashrc

and this line

gksudo gedit /etc/environment
at
export AWT_TOOLKIT="MToolkit"

Now my java runs with no complain what so ever!

Balazs_noob
August 13th, 2007, 07:24 AM
yeah it runs , but you can not use beryl while you program in Java.
because you deleted the line that makes it work under beryl and compiz.
i had the same problem and i decided to ignore that error message because it didn't cause any problems.

slamdunk12
August 13th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Yeah I realize that, I am just beginning to learn Java so these kind of warning sign irritates me a little... :)