PDA

View Full Version : Distropedia article on Oz GNOME 1.0

RAV TUX
August 12th, 2007, 06:13 AM
I have had many request to publish an article on Oz GNOME so I thought I would start working on it...

It's a start but I had to start somewhere:

http://cafelinux.org/distropedia/?q=node/134

Please let me know what you think so far...there is more to come.

awakatanka
August 12th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Only see a big grey screen where the screenshot needs to be. And sometimes the pages doesnt load and gives a error message, after a refresh it loads again.

If you want to make a article of a distro you need to change the original article? our is there a possibilty to leave they original content there and write a new article, example mepis made a livecd with kde4 on it. Is it possible that i only post a article about that without changing the main mepis information.

If you look at distrowatch then they have the distro content and they write different articles if something new happens.If its possible then it would also be a good thing to have a history of past articles in the main info page of that distro..

Great site hope itś getting better and better and will replace distrowatch.

RAV TUX
August 12th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Only see a big grey screen where the screenshot needs to be. And sometimes the pages doesnt load and gives a error message, after a refresh it loads again.

If you want to make a article of a distro you need to change the original article? our is there a possibilty to leave they original content there and write a new article, example mepis made a livecd with kde4 on it. Is it possible that i only post a article about that without changing the main mepis information.

If you look at distrowatch then they have the distro content and they write different articles if something new happens.If its possible then it would also be a good thing to have a history of past articles in the main info page of that distro..

Great site hope itś getting better and better and will replace distrowatch.

ahh on the book page I have a flash image of multiple screenshots....perhaps I should place that on the main page instead...

I am on Mepis now with KDE 4.0 and it is amazing

what you want to do is create 1 distro main page

and then create a distro book page(news article page, linking to the distro static page...thus as many articles can be written on any given distro and the distro static page can remain as a foundation....

remember when posting the distro book page to select the "Distropedia, your source for distro information" parent option

Thanks for the feed back I will move the Flash to the Oz GNOME main page.

like I have done with JUXlala!

LookTJ
August 12th, 2007, 08:54 AM
And sometimes the pages doesnt load and gives a error message, after a refresh it loads again.

Same here, seems that the servers fail the first load, then success the second time.

Tux Aubrey
August 12th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Good to see Oz represented on Distropedia, RAV TUX.

The cafelinux server seems to be down right now, so I'll check it out later.

If you want to make a article of a distro you need to change the original article? our is there a possibility to leave they original content there and write a new article,

I think that the distro's "Static Page" should have the table, screenshots and commentary and be updated minimally for new versions. A new "Book Page" or a short blog entry can be used to announce new things and link to the updated "Static Page" - that way we get the latest news on the front page of Distropedia as well as maintaining a fuller description on the Static Page. When "Comfusion" was released, I updated the Static Page for the new release and posted a short blog entry to announce it.

Its good to see so many distros going up on Distropedia - must be more than sixty now. I have started to add a "most similar to..." section to some of my own contributions to see whether that is a useful feature.

awakatanka
August 12th, 2007, 08:58 AM
ahh on the book page I have a flash image of multiple screenshots....perhaps I should place that on the main page instead...

I am on Mepis now with KDE 4.0 and it is amazing

what you want to do is create 1 distro main page

and then create a distro book page(news article page, linking to the distro static page...thus as many articles can be written on any given distro and the distro static page can remain as a foundation....

remember when posting the distro book page to select the "Distropedia, your source for distro information" parent option

Thanks for the feed back I will move the Flash to the Oz GNOME main page.

like I have done with JUXlala!Its working now, seeing a spinning cube i can klik on.
Nice flash. i going to learn and update myself again with websites like youre using and also for my wife here webpage, see wants one and iḿ trying to make a joomla based one.
But dont have much sparetime atm ;).

RAV TUX
August 12th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Same here, seems that the servers fail the first load, then success the second time.

Good to see Oz represented on Distropedia, RAV TUX.

The cafelinux server seems to be down right now, so I'll check it out later.

I think that the distro's "Static Page" should have the table, screenshots and commentary and be updated minimally for new versions. A new "Book Page" or a short blog entry can be used to announce new things and link to the updated "Static Page" - that way we get the latest news on the front page of Distropedia as well as maintaining a fuller description on the Static Page. When "Comfusion" was released, I updated the Static Page for the new release and posted a short blog entry to announce it.

Its good to see so many distros going up on Distropedia - must be more than sixty now. I have started to add a "most similar to..." section to some of my own contributions to see whether that is a useful feature.

I think the flash on the main page gave it a headache...try it again....I moved the flash image to the Oz GNOME static page instead of on the book page.

Aubrey, I 100% agree with you on the administration of the "Static pages" and "book pages"....

Please let me know how the flash images are working on both Oz GNOME Static page (http://cafelinux.org/distropedia/?q=node/133) and the JUXlala! Static page (http://cafelinux.org/distropedia/?q=node/122)

awakatanka
August 12th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Please let me know how the flash images are working on both Oz GNOME Static page (http://cafelinux.org/distropedia/?q=node/133) and the JUXlala! Static page (http://cafelinux.org/distropedia/?q=node/122)

Both working good in opera 9.22 and konqueror

RAV TUX
August 12th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Both working good in opera 9.22 and konquerorThanks for the feedback I really appreciate it. :)

RAV TUX
August 12th, 2007, 10:44 AM

I have changed the "distros-mapped linked image" to a smaller picture to help the page open even faster, let me know how it goes....

I also reviewed Comfusion and JUXlala!....we need a Mepis page unless I missed it?

EDIT: it's under SimplyMEPIS
http://cafelinux.org/distropedia/?q=node/23