PDA

View Full Version : Shipping computer overseas...

adam.tropics
August 12th, 2007, 02:22 AM
Does anyone have any experience of sending hardware overseas...painlessly, if not exactly cheaply!?

I am returning to the UK in about three months time, and need to get a 24" imac there....oh, from Australia.

I could sell it and buy another, but I really would rather not if at all possible. I have found one company here (Pack and send (http://www.packsend.com.au/)) that does interesting things with packaging (http://www.packsend.com.au/it_foam.shtml), and is not too badly priced, but wondered what experiences you people may have had.

Cheers.

HermanAB
August 12th, 2007, 02:28 AM
We usually use Fedex. It costs about $100 to send a server anywhere in North America. From Auz to UK? Gawd knows. Be sure to use lots of styrofoam. Auz and UK has the same mains voltage, so it should not be a problem.

Skidpad
August 12th, 2007, 02:41 AM
FedEx has an Estimator on their website where you can input package dimensions, etc. That should give you a good idea - if not a "high point" for prices.

I had some automotive parts shipped from Australia to the USA a few years ago via DHL - they were reasonable and it arrived on-time. Check them out too.

starcraft.man
August 12th, 2007, 02:44 AM
Be sure to use lots of styrofoam.

Seconded. Make sure that it is snug in the box with lots of that packing "fluff" and styrofoam. Ideally, make sure you watch them pack it. The last thing you want is a sudden shock to mess it up (either in packing or shipping). I can't recommend any one particular company, especially not in Australia. Good luck.

hardyn
August 12th, 2007, 03:51 AM
I shipped mine air luggage (on the plane with me), arrived with a huge dent in the case :( oh well...

smoker
August 12th, 2007, 08:49 AM
doesn't matter how well you pack it, if uk customs open it!

Lucifiel
August 12th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Hmmm... I think that often, customs will open the package. Furthermore, I've heard of cases where folks ordered a piece of hardware, only for it to be confisticated.

misfitpierce
August 12th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Fedex/UPS... I'd let them pack it so its insured though. lol

adam.tropics
August 12th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Thanks for all the replies so far, and yes naturally I will be insuring it for the trip!

Hmmm... I think that often, customs will open the package. Furthermore, I've heard of cases where folks ordered a piece of hardware, only for it to be confisticated.

I can't remember the exact figures involved here, but have them somewhere, as far as I can figure, since it will be older than x months, declared, worth less than I think it is 2000GBP, etc etc I can't see why they would go as far as confiscating it...it apparently just counts as used goods by that point or something. It will by that point even be past the time where a receipt for its purchase is needed I believe. Still.....here's hoping!

Lucifiel
August 12th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Thanks for all the replies so far, and yes naturally I will be insuring it for the trip!

I can't remember the exact figures involved here, but have them somewhere, as far as I can figure, since it will be older than x months, declared, worth less than I think it is 2000GBP, etc etc I can't see why they would go as far as confiscating it...it apparently just counts as used goods by that point or something. It will by that point even be past the time where a receipt for its purchase is needed I believe. Still.....here's hoping!

All right... best of luck. :) You might want to call customs in UK or something, though. ;)

Anyways, cute avatar. :D

ssam
August 12th, 2007, 11:03 AM
also check that UK customs will not send you a VAT bill.