PDA

View Full Version : Does my resume need a cover letter?

RussianVodka
August 12th, 2007, 01:33 AM
I'm applying for an internship, and they want me to send them a resume. So I wanted to know if my resume should include a cover letter.

The company I'm trying to get an internship with specializes in writing software for portable medical cards. They said I need to have experience in either C, C++, or Visual Basic to apply (I have experience in the later two). They also want to know what programming experience I have outside of the school environment.

I can write a resume without much problem, I just don't know if I should add a cover letter. I've looked at some examples, and most of them are along the lines of "I have worked for[list companies]. This work experience helped me become proficient in the following skills:[list skills]. I hope I can be an asset to your company."

Now that's fine and dandy, but I've never had to do any kind of software development for a company, so I think It's better if I list some of my better personal projects as a dotted list in my resume.

Any suggestions?

yabbadabbadont
August 12th, 2007, 01:47 AM
1) Spell it correctly. Résumé :D
2) Always include a cover letter that explains why you think that your skill set / experience makes you the right person for the position. If you can, include details that show that you have done your research on their company.

jeremy1138
August 12th, 2007, 01:49 AM
Cover letters are a must! You can search on the internet for sample letters if you need some ideas.

az
August 12th, 2007, 01:56 AM
Phone the company and find out the person's name (whomever will be reading your CV or otherwise hiring you.) Mention the name of your future boss if you possibly can. For example, I worked with my current boss about five years ago. When I applied for my current job, I mentioned that. I mentioned that I though he was meticulous and had high standards and would be proud to be part of a team with such characteristics.

That's just an example. Be sincere and truthful, but get yourself noticed.

If I were hiring someone, resumés addressed to "whom it may concern" would go unread.

aysiu
August 12th, 2007, 03:20 AM
Definitely include a cover letter.

eljoeb
August 12th, 2007, 03:35 AM
Use a Cover Letter or remain unemployed.

RussianVodka
August 12th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Ok, thanks.

runningwithscissors
August 14th, 2007, 11:38 AM
I hate the general toadiness that permeates most resumes.

You're a professional offering your services for hire. Have some self-respect and drop the 'I'd love to be your work-bunny' stuff.

Of course, I went through about 20 job interviews before landing a job, so you may disregard that advice.

slimdog360
August 14th, 2007, 12:42 PM
yes

mrngorickets
July 1st, 2011, 09:54 AM
Hi,

I agreed with you. Any way, your points of view make me thinking about some thing for my project.

Pls try to keep posting. Tks and best regards

s.fox
July 1st, 2011, 10:43 AM
Last post was August 14th, 2007

Necromancy.

Thread Closed.