PDA

View Full Version : Is your mobo also slow to boot?

BuffaloX
August 11th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Once upon a time, computers existed, that actually turned on, when you turned them on.
Nowadays when I turn on my PC, I enter a state similar to coma while waiting for it to be ready. It's not that Ubuntu is particularly slow, but the system posts has become consistently slower, as computers has gotten faster.

My Motherboard is an Asus A8N SLI and it t5akes a full 22 sec to get to grub.
This is with everything I don't use disabled.
I think this is a pain, almost half my boot time, is just for the bios post.

Please tell me the name of your computer or motherboard, and the time it takes to get to the grub (boot) menu.

Asus A8N SLI = 22 sec
Asus A8N Deluxe = 21 sec

a12ctic
August 11th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Oh wow. That is terrible. My MSI mobo takes less than 5 seconds to get to grub... Have you put on the Quick Boot option?

insane_alien
August 11th, 2007, 07:59 PM
something would seem to be wrong ith the motherboard. i get to grub less than 4 seconds with an ASUS P4P800S SE.

are you sure your BIOS is not running an extented memory check?

BuffaloX
August 11th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Oh wow. That is terrible. My MSI mobo takes less than 5 seconds to get to grub... Have you put on the Quick Boot option?

something would seem to be wrong ith the motherboard. i get to grub less than 4 seconds with an ASUS P4P800S SE.

are you sure your BIOS is not running an extented memory check?

Thanx for your responses. :)
Yes I have it on "quick" boot, serial and parallel ports disabled.
IDE and FDD disabled (I use SATA).
I'm surprised your boots are so quick, I've tried to change options on my system to get quicker boots, but nothing seems to help.
I think it's just how it is with this motherboard. (I have another NV4 board from Asus, and they are almost identically slow.

Only slow option I have, is legacy support for USB.

a12ctic
August 11th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Try a bios upgrade, I've never liked ASUS, always had a lot of problems with their motherboards. MSI and DFI are usualy the safest routes.

BuffaloX
August 11th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Try a bios upgrade, I've never liked ASUS, always had a lot of problems with their motherboards. MSI and DFI are usualy the safest routes.

Thanx for the advice, but I don't think that's the problem. I'm not trying to fix it, (unless someone knows something very specific about it...)

I want to avoid slow boards in the future.
I was afraid that slow was standard for most boards, because my systems have become progressively slower with each update the last couple of years.
All have been with VIA or Nvidia chipset, and all from Asus.

Now I'm trying to figure out which boards are quick, and which are slow.
Next time I want a system that posts much faster.