PDA

View Full Version : Compiz-Fusion vs Compiz vs Beryl vs e17 vs "NO Compiz-Fusion, Compiz, Beryl or e17"

RAV TUX
August 11th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Compiz-Fusion vs Compiz vs Beryl vs e17 vs "NO Compiz-Fusion, Compiz, Beryl or e17"

Which do you prefer to use?

1. Compiz-Fusion
2. Compiz
3. Beryl
4. e17
5. "NO Compiz-Fusion, Compiz, Beryl or e17"
6. No confusion here I simply use the ComFusion distro! (http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://pollolinux.blogia.com/&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=9&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dcomfusion%2Blinux%26hl%3Den%26client% 3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26hs%3DabY) (In Otherwords I use Compiz-Fusion by default in the ComFusion distro, ComFusion also includes the e17 DE as an alternative)
7. Again No confusion here I simply use the elive distro! (http://www.elivecd.org/) (In Otherwords I use e17 by default in the elive distro)
8. If I said it once I said it a thousand times; I prefer Organic, Non-MSG Cheetos!
9. None of the above, I choose to not post in this thread in silent protest.
10. Some Other random rambling of the subject matter at hand or my existential realization...

EDIT: before someone else points it out, yes, yes I know I mis-spelled realization ;)

LOL...thats actually pretty funny ;)

gecko94
August 11th, 2007, 04:52 PM
compiz fusion. works a little faster than beryl and has some new effects.

WastingBody
August 11th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Compiz-Fusion 'cause its the bestest.

Rhubarb
August 11th, 2007, 05:04 PM
I use Compiz-fusion just to impress, for everything else, no fancy stuff needed. :)

marco123
August 11th, 2007, 05:04 PM
I voted no Compiz-Fusion. When it's stable and I can run it for months without any issues I might look into it but I'm sticking with plain Feisty until the next LTS.

SunnyRabbiera
August 11th, 2007, 05:18 PM
I am neutral so I chose "If I said it once I said it a thousand times; I prefer Organic, Non-MSG Cheetos!"

RAV TUX
August 11th, 2007, 05:28 PM
I am neutral so I chose "If I said it once I said it a thousand times; I prefer Organic, Non-MSG Cheetos!"

thanks for being neutral....

Also for others this is a multiple choice poll

Dimitriid
August 11th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Waiting for Gutsy to use Compiz-Fusion at all times.

hessiess
August 11th, 2007, 06:00 PM
i dispise all eyecandy as a utter waste of time. if you anamate windows minimising for example, you are wasting a cupple of seconds that could be used to open anouther app

starcraft.man
August 11th, 2007, 06:43 PM
I been sticking to Beryl. I'll move to compiz fusion when they release Gutsy probably and have all that working. Haven't seen any pressing need for me to change right now.

rax_m
August 11th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Compiz-fusion is working great for me.. tho' initially it was a bit flaky, it seems very stable these days.. i.e. no one crash in the last month. :)

BobCFC
August 11th, 2007, 07:26 PM
I was happy with Beryl and I prefer it in subtle ways such as the way it rotates and wobbles, but the killer plugins for me in Compiz Fusion were Reflections and Dodge. I can't live without them! I also always wanted separate wallpapers on each side of the cube which never worked properly in beryl without loosing the desktop icons.

To those waiting for Compiz Fusion in Gutsy, I may be wrong but Tribe 3 that is installed on my machine has the old Compiz built-in not Fusion.

RAV TUX
August 12th, 2007, 04:23 AM
I was happy with Beryl and I prefer it in subtle ways such as the way it rotates and wobbles, but the killer plugins for me in Compiz Fusion were Reflections and Dodge. I can't live without them! I also always wanted separate wallpapers on each side of the cube which never worked properly in beryl without loosing the desktop icons.

To those waiting for Compiz Fusion in Gutsy, I may be wrong but Tribe 3 that is installed on my machine has the old Compiz built-in not Fusion.

the ComFusion (http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://pollolinux.blogia.com/&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=9&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dcomfusion%2Blinux%26hl%3Den%26client% 3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26hs%3DabY) distro based on Ubuntu has Compiz-Fusion by default.

I have only used Beryl in Sabayon and in Uberyl(now known as ComFusion), I prefer e17 in elive.

Billy_McBong
August 12th, 2007, 05:11 AM
compiz-fusion through Treviño’s Repository
works great, its more stable than beryl and has more effects :)

dizee
August 12th, 2007, 05:33 AM
Haven't tried compiz-fusion yet but have beryl installed. Not only is it eyecandy but I find its scale function extremely useful.

Also voted for E17, it's absolutely beautiful and unique in how it works. The Elive cd is amazing.

RAV TUX
August 12th, 2007, 06:18 AM
compiz-fusion through Treviño’s Repository
works great, its more stable than beryl and has more effects :)
Excellent to Know!

Haven't tried compiz-fusion yet but have beryl installed. Not only is it eyecandy but I find its scale function extremely useful.

Also voted for E17, it's absolutely beautiful and unique in how it works. The Elive cd is amazing.

I couldn't agree with you more on both e17 and elive.:)

yatt
August 12th, 2007, 08:36 AM
I am using plain Gnome as Compiz Fusion doesn't seem to like Xgl.

puppy
August 13th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Of course, compiz fusion is in the Gutsy repos, so everyone will be able to fiddle with it soon. I chose compiz fusion because it's made some people dribble when they've seen my computer, and it prompted two ubuntu installs on their machines. Anything (even eyecandy) that makes people think ubuntu is sexy is great in my book :KS

Kedster
September 20th, 2007, 03:17 AM
fusions missing the 3d effects and emerld interface how do u get those effects

PS: hw do u get the little wave when using fution i didnt no hot to in beryl ether so dont just do a refence

davidgypsy
September 20th, 2007, 03:22 AM
EDIT: before someone else points it out, yes, yes I know I mis-spelled realization ;)

LOL...thats actually pretty funny ;)

And you still are, the majority of the English speaking world spells it with an "s", so I am assuming you are American? :lolflag:

smartboyathome
September 20th, 2007, 03:26 AM
I haven't tried elive, but E17 on ubuntu is amazing and I would use it if there was a decorator for compiz that emulated the e17 decoration (I can't live without the desktop wall, grouping, and swift switcher) and if it had a plugin that gave GTK and QT apps the same look as it (that was the feature I needed the most).

RAV TUX
September 20th, 2007, 03:41 AM
And you still are, the majority of the English speaking world spells it with an "s", so I am assuming you are American? :lolflag:

Of course I'm American, how else would I be able to butcher the English language so elegantly?

Crashmaxx
September 20th, 2007, 04:34 AM
I've been using Beryl for quite a while. But I had to turn if off cause it interferes with Mythtv. I hope Compiz-Fusion in Gusty has the problems fixed so I can run it. Also hope that good open source ATi drivers come out soon so I can run it on my laptop too.

I really like the effects, but it doesn't like the Mythtv frontend. It covers up the taskbars and makes it unable to move workspaces and so on. Just easier to turn Beryl off.

RAV TUX
September 20th, 2007, 05:12 AM
I've been using Beryl for quite a while. But I had to turn if off cause it interferes with Mythtv. I hope Compiz-Fusion in Gusty has the problems fixed so I can run it. Also hope that good open source ATi drivers come out soon so I can run it on my laptop too.

I really like the effects, but it doesn't like the Mythtv frontend. It covers up the taskbars and makes it unable to move workspaces and so on. Just easier to turn Beryl off.

have you tried MythTV in e17?

macogw
September 20th, 2007, 07:09 AM
I really like E17, but I usually use GNOME + Beryl because E17 lacks a NetworkManager applet.

karellen
September 20th, 2007, 07:40 AM
I have no idea of the differences between Compiz-Fusion, Compiz, Beryl as I'm not using any of them...:D

n3tfury
September 20th, 2007, 02:52 PM
i dispise all eyecandy as a utter waste of time. if you anamate windows minimising for example, you are wasting a cupple of seconds that could be used to open anouther app

and if you're that anal about time management, you're wasting time posting in a thread like this.

fwojciec
September 20th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Openbox - plain and simple. I used to have gnome with beryl and later compiz-fusion installed, but after using Openbox for a while I simply can't go back... Now I want everything keybound, right-clink menued and immediate and no pretty rotating, reflecting, transparent, wobbly cubes can can convince me otherwise :P

InfinityCircuit
September 21st, 2007, 12:26 AM
I run Compiz-fusion on three computers.

Gateway MX6437 running Gutsy Gibbon - everything is enabled
Desktop with P4/Nvidia running Debian Sid - everything is enabled
Thinkpad X40 Pentium M/intel 855 running Debian Sid - only Scale, Ring Switching, and Desktop Plane are enabled.

I normally work on the Thinkpad, and since it doesn't have the power to run the cube well I only turn on the features I actually use.

RAV TUX
September 21st, 2007, 12:55 AM
I really like E17, but I usually use GNOME + Beryl because E17 lacks a NetworkManager applet.

I use e17 in Elive Gem 1.0, I use the default NetworkManager applet that comes with the e17 version found in Elive Gem 1.0

aimran
September 21st, 2007, 01:01 AM
I voted beryl because it's the only one that can give me expose with a middle button click. Don't use other features like cube or wobbly.

gotonpo
September 21st, 2007, 01:07 AM
I'm quite happy w/ xfce's native compositing.

I just want the windows drawn from the video card and true transparency... and that's what I get!

mthei
September 21st, 2007, 02:54 AM
I don't really like Compiz or Beryl or things like that, but I do like E17, and tried Elive this week and was very close to actually installing it, and would have, but all my stuff is already here and I didn't feel like bringing in all my files all over again.

energiya
September 21st, 2007, 08:46 AM
I don't find any practical usage for any of them. (just my point of view)

HokeyFry
September 23rd, 2007, 01:50 PM
there is no "practical"usage of them, they just look nice, and if you can set them up, its very rewarding

I use Compiz, and it's very nice, IMO. I also have enlightenment, but I really dont think that enlightenment is a good DE or much usable at all, but then again it just confuses me, im sure if i read a guide i could configure it or something

Caffeine_Junky
September 23rd, 2007, 02:03 PM
E17 is cool, I love the way it animates the desktop..
compiz is cool too, the cube is a nice way to switch workspaces. ...sure it is just eyecandy but, hey, graphics like that are the way of the future in desktop environments.. nice :)

-grubby
October 2nd, 2007, 04:35 AM
I haven't used any of the others but Compiz Fusion has caused no problems

HokeyFry
October 3rd, 2007, 04:38 PM
there is no "practical" usage of them, they just look nice, and if you can set them up, its very rewarding

I use Compiz, and it's very nice, IMO. I also have enlightenment, but I really dont think that enlightenment is a good DE or much usable at all, but then again it just confuses me, im sure if i read a guide i could configure it or something

ok i lied, there are some nice features like magnification and such that could be useful to someone who needs them

but for the most part its to say "look how my comp is better than urs" and "haha u cant do that in windows" :mrgreen:

maduranga
October 3rd, 2007, 05:32 PM
I like Compiz Fusion :popcorn:

Wulfrunner
October 5th, 2007, 12:02 AM
I disagree about there being no practical side to compiz or similar window managers. To start with, AIGLX and XGL cause windows and menus to be rendered faster and move more smoothly, simply because the video card is being used for what it was designed for. It is frustrating when you have a top-of-the-line computer and you have to wait half a second for the icons to appear after clicking the Applications menu because Xorg still uses software rendering.

Aside from the aesthetics, I always have dozens, sometimes hundreds, of windows open simultaneously; to be able to visualize my workspaces (with the scale plugin, for example) improves my workflow immensely. ("Hundreds?" you scoff. Well, yes when you are working on a major project--a thesis perhaps--this is what happens). When I am presenting, I can use the annotate feature to highlight anything on my screen. And yes, the magnify feature is helpful especially when you run at a resolution of 1680x1050 and many web graphics are of a much lower resolution.

maximo1010
March 8th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Compiz Fusion. It's so smooth even on my Acer Aspire 8930G : P. Total recommendation.

s.fox
March 8th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Thread Necromancy.

Thread Closed.