PDA

View Full Version : My fears for Ubuntu

mike998
July 27th, 2005, 12:53 PM
I've tried installing Breezy both with a fresh install and also by simply going through the respoitories, and every time I've had problems with X. Checking the forums show that a lot of people are having difficulties with X These problems with X really scare me. Hoary was so much more usable by this point than Breezy is at this point. In fact I had moved to Hoary from Warty at this point.

Any ideas when we will be able to run Breezy without these problems?

heimo
July 27th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Around 10/2005 ? :) It's under development and Xorg is going through modularisation, also lots of other development stuff in there. But I have a feeling that it'll be the best Ubuntu release so far, when it's ready. Nice improvements and hopefully the overall install experience will be smoother than it has been in Hoary. I've been using Breezy for some time now, and yes, there're occasional problems (like I can't use correct keymap), X not starting, missing tools and so on - so it's definitely not _yet_ for those who want easy desktop.

Following development forums/lists can give you quite good sense when things get more stable (<= no stability issues for me, just packages are breaking [intentional when reorganizing] and some software doesn't work).

kahping
July 27th, 2005, 01:31 PM
Breezy is currently in development and isn't a stable release, so it's safe to expect problems. experienced Linux users can use it if they want; they know how to deal with the problems.

less experienced users like us should stick with Hoary until Breezy is ready ;-)

kahping

mike998
July 27th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Completely understood - and I am aware that Breezy is development only. I am also keeping an eye on the forums to make sure that I don't miss that magic point where I can install Breezy and be happy that everything works!
I was just airing my fears.
Fingers crossed!

Thanks to all the developers for all the good work that I wouldn't have a hope in hell of being able to do!

poofyhairguy
July 27th, 2005, 08:33 PM
I agree that Hoary seemed more stable at this point...and I hope it turns out well.

bigger risk, bigger reward.

oddabe19
July 27th, 2005, 09:01 PM
I agree that Hoary seemed more stable at this point...and I hope it turns out well.

bigger risk, bigger reward.

Hoary WAS more stable at this point...
hoary also didn't go through X modulization and GCC4 conversions. Which is going to be nice in breezy.

And you're right... Bigger risk, bigger reward!