PDA

View Full Version : Vista Aiding Linux Desktop, Strategist Says

mrreality13
August 11th, 2007, 06:37 AM
take a peek
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,2168701,00.asp

csimons
August 12th, 2007, 06:54 PM
I don't understand why the author says that a non-proprietary kernel makes service-level agreements more challenging. Can someone elaborate on this for me?

popch
August 12th, 2007, 07:28 PM
I don't understand why the author says that a non-proprietary kernel makes service-level agreements more challenging. Can someone elaborate on this for me?

They are talking through their hats.
They contradict themselves by stating (in the continued part of the article) that managing the desktop is less challenging with linux than with Windows, which is all what SLAs are about.

vambo
August 12th, 2007, 07:33 PM
"To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it; to mess up your Windows box, you just have to work on it."

I just might change my signature to this :)

DoctorMO
August 12th, 2007, 08:33 PM

It means there isn't someone to sue if the kernel dies and takes your lovely business with it. It's about taking responsibility for your actions, something which modern business seem to have forgotten.

popch
August 12th, 2007, 08:37 PM
It means there isn't someone to sue if the kernel dies and takes your lovely business with it. It's about taking responsibility for your actions, something which modern business seem to have forgotten.

Whereas you can sue someone if a proprietary kernel dies? Whom? Read the LA. No warranties are given whether the OS is fit for any particular purpose.

For me, this particular statement makes no sense whatsoever, in a real live situation when you are the party responsible for the SLA. Hot air, I suppose.