PDA

View Full Version : What razor do you folks use?

Roasted
August 11th, 2007, 04:44 AM
Just a general question that I figured I'd ramble about on a bored friday night before going to bed... I always used disposable razors for a while until recently when I started to shave my head. I lost a bet, however I decided to keep the look for at least the summer, so I invested in a better razor.

I tried a few electrics, and they were all failures. They all left me with strange razor burn that was different (and sometimes more annoying) than what a blade leaves me with. The disposable razors I used were decent, however they did not have a pivoting head, which made the back of my head difficult to get the job done unless I spent a lot of extra time making sure I was shaving at a proper angle.

I went with a Schick Quattro Titanium. I meant to get he Gillette Mach 3, but the Quattro had an extra blade for a buck or so cheaper, so I couldn't help but to grab it. However, I ended up getting the Mach 3 days later. The Quattro was nice, very nice in fact, however I have thick hair, so it'd gunk up the cartridges REALLY quick, and without a can of air or some kind of higher pressure water blast from the faucet I was unable to get the blades completely clean of the gunk. This was due to the way the cartridges are on the Quattro, because there's some extra plastic covering the back of it which the gunk would hide under. The Mach 3, despite it having a blade less, did the same exact job shaving (as far as closeness, smoothness, etc) and yet it was muuuuuch easier to clean with a simple run under the faucet.

Needless to say, I am currently a Mach 3 user. I couldn't justify the Gillette Fusion. Looked really nice, but something was just telling me that the Mach 3 was all I needed... and the bottom line is, I'm satisfied with what I got. But I cannot comment on the longevity of the Mach 3 cartridges, because I have only used the Mach 3 a few times and have not needed to replace the cartridge yet. So I can only hope it lasts relatively long!

Now that I have successfully rambled about a simple topic, I believe I am going to bed now. 6 AM comes early!

Spr0k3t
August 11th, 2007, 05:06 AM
Interesting thought. I've been a Gillette Atra person since day 1. The blades are cheap, easy pivoting head, and relatively easy to clean with a tap or two in the sink. Cheap is good. The mach3, quatro, and whatever else they are going to throw at the populous, I don't think I will look into purchasing until they are much cheaper. I mean, i can buy a 20 pack of the atra blades for just under five bucks in my area, and those usually last me a little over three months. It's a convenience vs price factor.

Warpnow
August 11th, 2007, 05:14 AM
The Fusion Power (the orange one) is kickass. It vibrates slightly, letting you cut deeper and smoother. Its kickass.

Plus, it amuses me. Sit it on the counter and turn it on, it'll vibrate itself off the counter. :D

MonkeyBoy
August 11th, 2007, 09:31 AM
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/33930

Caution: Heavy use of profanity.

slimdog360
August 11th, 2007, 09:33 AM
disposable bic razors. These are not the really cheap ones, just the semi-cheap ones.
similar to therse ones only in a green packet and have 'sensitive' rather then 'comfort'
http://www.checkout.ie/images/magazine/2003-06/mp-BicComfort.jpg

kostkon
August 11th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Just cheap plastic disposable razors of any brand and origin ;)

With double blades always.

frup
August 11th, 2007, 09:56 AM
I am unable to use a razor, the razor burn is just too much... my whole neck ends up looking like it is covered in pimples...

The solution i found is to use the moustache trimmer on an electric razor for my neck... So now, I always have a slight amount of stubble on my neck. At least it doesn't itch.

kostkon
August 11th, 2007, 10:03 AM
I am unable to use a razor, the razor burn is just too much... my whole neck ends up looking like it is covered in pimples...

The solution i found is to use the moustache trimmer on an electric razor for my neck... So now, I always have a slight amount of stubble on my neck. At least it doesn't itch.

The classic way to avoid this is to wet your face with a lot of warm to hot water in order to soften your face's skin. After this, shaving becomes much more easy without burns, cuts or (brrrrrrr!) blood!! Are you doing this?

Freddy
August 11th, 2007, 10:56 AM
I cant help it but I buy every new razor Gillette puts out, now I use a Gillette Fusion. I know I'm a dork but I just cant help myself buying every nre razor in the store.

Hi I'm Fredrik and I'm a razor addict.

slimdog360
August 11th, 2007, 11:06 AM

i used to have the same problem. Now I leave a day between shaves, use this stuff
http://www.trishave.com/
and I also only ever use a razor once then throw it out. That trishave stuff is fantastic, I think its the teatree oil which is the magic.

KaroSHiv0n
August 11th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Basically any disposable thats not Gillette as i boycott them =)

Roasted
August 11th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Basically any disposable thats not Gillette as i boycott them =)

Is there a reason why? That almost sounds like me with Microsoft... :lolflag:

Roasted
August 11th, 2007, 11:35 AM

Really? That bad? When I started shaving my head I got razor burn like that. My problem was I was using cheaper razors and I was shaving too frequently. Even though I still had some razor burn remaining on my head from the day before, I was stubborn, and was like I don't care, I'm shaving again, period!! So I did... and I all but cried... The trick is to wait until the razor burn is completely gone before you shave again. It also helps if you use semi decent blades. I was using these insanely cheap BIC disposables, which basically pulled on the hair and THEN cut it, instead of just cutting it. After I got a decent razor, it took maybe 3 shaves and a day in between each shave to get used to it. Now I can shave just by wetting my head, without shaving cream too.

But alas, I did notice a difference in the razor. And here's something to think about... Although the Quattro and Mach 3 may be more costly, at least in the Quattro's case, the cartridges last a LOT longer. With cheaper disposables, I only got 1 decent shave out of it, then I got 1 crappy shave, and 1 more painful shave if I was daring. But it was really only worthwhile to get 1 NICE shave in before the razor was garbage. With having to throw away a razor everyday, versus using a cartridge for a week and a half... you end up realizing you're not really SAVING anything by going with a cheaper product. ;)

I cannot vouch for Mach 3 as of yet, since I just got it. However, the Schick Quattro in this case is true. And everywhere I've read they said the Mach 3 lasts longer than the Quattro, so I can't help but to wonder what will happen!!

KaroSHiv0n
August 11th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Is there a reason why? That almost sounds like me with Microsoft... :lolflag:

yes yes there is.
http://www.boycottgillette.com/ here is all the info you need =)

tigerpants
August 11th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Bic disposable single blade.

regomodo
August 11th, 2007, 02:56 PM
wilkinson sword something. Blades are pretty expensive but they seem to last, probably becausei can't be arsed to shave daily.

yes yes there is.

have you worked in a supermarket? Blades are high on the list of a shoplifter. If they save those photos for a while then i may have an issue with the rfid tags

KaroSHiv0n
August 11th, 2007, 03:01 PM
wilkinson sword something. Blades are pretty expensive but they seem to last, probably becausei can't be arsed to shave daily.

have you worked in a supermarket? Blades are high on the list of a shoplifter. If they save those photos for a while then i may have an issue with the rfid tags

high on the list or not, i am INNOCENT until PROVEN guilty, im not under surveilence _untill_ proven innocent! i just dont aggree with it.

mips
August 11th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Mach 3 here.

I tried different disposable razors due to price but I find them lacking.

Blades are so frigging expensive though. Over here you pay about 10 Euros for a pack of 4 blades, crazy !!!

Ultra Magnus
August 11th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Occams razor - I have sensitive skin

sp0nge
August 11th, 2007, 03:18 PM
I've used the Mach 3 Turbo since it came out 3 years ago or so. I like the vibration of the razor as it seems to live up to the claim that this lifts that hair away from the skin for a closer shave.

I've tried the Gillette Fusion as well, and I do like it for the fact that the blades DO provide a decent shave, but I especially like the single "trimming blade" that allows me to shape my goatee.

rudder
August 11th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Schick Quattro... the Fushion proved too blade-heavy and my super macho man hair was gumming up the tightly grouped blades;)

regomodo
August 11th, 2007, 04:16 PM
high on the list or not, i am INNOCENT until PROVEN guilty, im not under surveilence _untill_ proven innocent! i just dont aggree with it.

Are you from the UK? I've gotten used to surveillance and don't like that, which is why i'm moving to NZ/Canada when i can

KaroSHiv0n
August 11th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Are you from the UK? I've gotten used to surveillance and don't like that, which is why i'm moving to NZ/Canada when i can
Scotland born and bread, and surveillance can be fought off, it will just take the wake up of the masses.

jrusso2
August 11th, 2007, 05:26 PM
I buy a big bag of the pink ones for $1.00 at the dollar store.

Rhubarb
August 11th, 2007, 05:31 PM
I use a cut-throat razor here, gives a clean shave in one swipe.
It's cheap in the long run too, don't need to buy any razors now, just the shaving cream / gel.

_simon_
August 11th, 2007, 05:41 PM
I use a single blade bic disposable for my face and a double blade flexible Tesco own brand disposable for my head. I use them both with shaving gel.

I've been down the whole Mach route, but disposables give just as good a cut and for a fraction of the price.

I shave my head daily and face once or twice a week - facial stubble is all good, but don't want a beard :)

With enough water and gel, you shouldn't get razor burn.

justinjstark
August 11th, 2007, 06:08 PM
I have to plug my favorite razor. It's the merkur futur. It's a double-edge safety razor made in Germany.

http://www.amazon.com/Merkur-Futur-Adjustable-Double-Safety/dp/B0001XGNQ6/ref=pd_bbs_sr_7/104-0165888-9707926?ie=UTF8&s=beauty&qid=1186851970&sr=8-7

Best razor ever made.

If you're cheap, try this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Merkur-Classic-Safety-Razor-Straight/dp/B000LY2AKI/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/104-0165888-9707926?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1186851970&sr=8-3

forrestcupp
August 11th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Persona Matrix 3. It's pretty much like Gilette Mach 3 only half the price. I've only seen them at Wal-mart

Roasted
August 11th, 2007, 09:17 PM
yes yes there is.

lmao. The average person is seen on surveillance cameras at least 15 times a day. As long as some Gillette honkey's aren't sitting there eatin popcorn while me and my girlfriend get our shag on, why would I even care in the first place?

Roasted
August 11th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Persona Matrix 3. It's pretty much like Gilette Mach 3 only half the price. I've only seen them at Wal-mart

I was just at wal mart and didn't see anything like that. Does it have a decently pivoting head that's not covered by a bunch of jumbo, making it easy to clean out?

isaacj87
August 11th, 2007, 09:34 PM
I hate the fusion power, unfortunately it's what I have...seems like it pulls my hair out more than it shaves (it's a pain in my ***). I like the mach 3, as it has never let me down. Great close shave too. :)

Roasted
August 11th, 2007, 09:40 PM
I hate the fusion power, unfortunately it's what I have...seems like it pulls my hair out more than it shaves (it's a pain in my ***). I like the mach 3, as it has never let me down. Great close shave too. :)

Ya know, quite a few people have said this, yet I'm failing to understand why the mach 3 would in any way shape or form be "better". I'm not doubting the mach 3, I like it, I use it, I just expected the fusion to be a step up. The reason that I got the mach 3 is because I felt like it's all I needed.

Since you're a mach 3 user, where do you get your cartridges? I'm attempting to find a store that sells them relatively cheap. What's the average price of them, 2 bucks a pop?

sparks0548
August 11th, 2007, 09:41 PM
I use a Benchmade.....LOL....a six inch tactical lock back blade issued to the military...LOL. I've been using the Gillette Fusion. It saves my soft skin....LOL.

csimons
August 11th, 2007, 10:27 PM
I saw this online about a year and a half ago, and thought it was somewhat amusing, although I've never tried it myself: http://www.headblade.com/

According to the website, it was featured in Time magazine.

Roasted
August 12th, 2007, 02:04 AM
I have the headblade. It's not a bad product, but here's why I stopped using it...

The headblade is great for doing the top of your head. You just glide it back, real easy. Now when it's time to do the sides, you're supposed to drive the headblade horizontally on the side of your head, then turn it downward so it glides down the back of your head. By doing this, you don't shave against the grain on the sides of your head. My problem? I like to shave against the grain. It's a bigger hassle than it's worth to shave against the grain with the headblade. That left me with going back to other means of shaving my head. I was bouncing around between a 3 bladed disposable and an electric stubble shaver due to the fact I kept getting razor burn, however I wanted a close shave... As I said, I gave razors a second chance by trying out a pivoting head razor, which was the best thing ever. Tried the Quattro, good razor, but crappy to clean. Tried the Mach 3, and now everything I've ever wanted is what I now have in the Mach 3. Again, the headblade is a nice product, but for somebody like me who's picky and wants a smooth shave, as opposed to a quicker shave, it's just more worthwhile to get the ole razor blade on a standard handle.

I am a little disappointed today, though. I was shaving earlier and I got a good deal of razor burn. That's what you get for thinking you have the best razor and shave faster without thinking!! I just kind of thought "Meh, it'll be all right" and zipped the thing back my head. Ohhhhhhh boy I won't do that again. LOL.

Also, has anybody tried using conditioner as a shaving cream? I used conditioner last night and I loved it... Today I decided to try the shaving gel, since I hadn't tried that with the mach 3. Despite the fact I shaved much faster than I should have (which was my fault) I believe the conditioner gave me a more comfortable shave, so I'll be switching back to that when morning rolls around.

forrestcupp
August 12th, 2007, 02:51 AM
I was just at wal mart and didn't see anything like that. Does it have a decently pivoting head that's not covered by a bunch of jumbo, making it easy to clean out?

It's pretty comparable to the Mach3 in how well it shaves. I like it a lot. I've used the best disposables and all of them are crap compared to the Persona Matrix3. You have to buy the razor handle, then you buy replacement blade cartridges, just like the Mach 3 only half the price. The only thing worse about it is that it's harder to get the cartridges on and off of the handle. But that's not really a big deal considering the quality and price.

But yeah, it cleans out a lot better than most disposables do.

Roasted
August 12th, 2007, 05:25 AM
That's cool. Does Target carry Personna? If that razor you speak of is JUST like the Mach 3, cleans just as well, etc etc, I may consider it.

But quite frankly, I've shaved with the Mach 3 several times, and it's still showing no signs of the blades growing dull... So even if I stick with the Mach 3, I still consider it a good deal since it's shaving like a champ and still on the original cartridge.

KaroSHiv0n
August 12th, 2007, 11:32 AM
lmao. The average person is seen on surveillance cameras at least 15 times a day. As long as some Gillette honkey's aren't sitting there eatin popcorn while me and my girlfriend get our shag on, why would I even care in the first place?do you not value privacy? i know i do. Your argument is similar to "lots of people are murdered in a year - why should the police try to stop it?"

forrestcupp
August 12th, 2007, 12:59 PM
yes yes there is.

That's ridiculous! RFID chips don't take your picture. They are a new technology that stores will have on all of their packages soon for inventory control. They don't invade your privacy any more than UPC codes do. When they start putting RFID chips on us, that will be a different story.

That website is just a conspiracy theory.

KaroSHiv0n
August 12th, 2007, 01:05 PM
That's ridiculous! RFID chips don't take your picture. They are a new technology that stores will have on all of their packages soon for inventory control. They don't invade your privacy any more than UPC codes do. When they start putting RFID chips on us, that will be a different story.

http://www.greaterthings.com/News/Chip_Implants/index.html

Roasted
August 12th, 2007, 02:07 PM
do you not value privacy? i know i do. Your argument is similar to "lots of people are murdered in a year - why should the police try to stop it?"

Murder and picture taking are two different things. It's not something I support by any means, however I'm not going to sit there and whine **** and moan about something I read on the internet that may not even be true, especially something petty with my picture being taken. Had I know this is true for a fact, things may be different... but since I don't know... I DON'T CARE! :) :)

Roasted
August 12th, 2007, 02:10 PM

Yeah, that's what I thought. It's the same kind of stuff they're doing to newborn babies now, where they inject something the size of a grain of rice into the infant's foot. That way in the future if the child is ever abducted they can use GPS to their advantage. Wait. GPS? Tracking? Anti theft? Ahh, the picture looks a little clearer now. Taking my picture? Oh, really? For what? Why? Why would they want to see my face? Are they seriously going to send images from the razor back to headquarters via wireless satellite? For who? For what?

It just makes no logical sense to me.

notwen
August 12th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Straight razor, once I learned not to cut my neck open these are unbeatable. =] My current razor (http://www.bowmanbeauty.com/store/shop.mvc?page=BBS/PROD/1-6030/DV1) using Personna blades.

Roasted
August 12th, 2007, 02:38 PM
notwen, that thing looks deadly.

Isaac_x
August 12th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Stop. I just had a stroke of genius. Are you ready? Open your mouth, baby birds, cause Mama's about to drop you one sweet, fat nightcrawler. Here she comes: Put another aloe strip on that sucker, too. That's right. Five blades, two strips, and make the second one lather. You heard me—the second strip lathers. It's a whole new way to think about shaving. Don't question it. Don't say a word. Just key the music, and call the chorus girls, because we're on the edge—the razor's edge—and I feel like dancing.
-- The Onion

forrestcupp
August 12th, 2007, 05:53 PM
-- The Onion

I've always thought they should put a strip before the blade as well as after. I don't use shaving cream, just water.

gdubbus
August 12th, 2007, 05:55 PM
bic/cvs , disposable

KaroSHiv0n
August 12th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Murder and picture taking are two different things. It's not something I support by any means, however I'm not going to sit there and whine **** and moan about something I read on the internet that may not even be true, especially something petty with my picture being taken. Had I know this is true for a fact, things may be different... but since I don't know... I DON'T CARE! :) :)

go get the movie "spy chips" this is not from the internet, its a confirmed fact. as for ******* and moaning- i boycott gillete, its my choice, i was asked to explain why so i did, not quite ******* and moaning..

isaacj87
August 13th, 2007, 01:08 AM
Ya know, quite a few people have said this, yet I'm failing to understand why the mach 3 would in any way shape or form be "better". I'm not doubting the mach 3, I like it, I use it, I just expected the fusion to be a step up. The reason that I got the mach 3 is because I felt like it's all I needed.

Since you're a mach 3 user, where do you get your cartridges? I'm attempting to find a store that sells them relatively cheap. What's the average price of them, 2 bucks a pop?

2 dollars!? If only I were that lucky...I can't remember exactly, but I think they were about 8 dollars for extra razors...cost just as much as the razor itself. Fusion refills are around 15 to 18 dollars...ridiculous.

hanzomon4
August 13th, 2007, 02:04 AM
I don't want my picture taken, if it's necessary I want a clear warning on the package that it's being done. We all fight different battles so don't **** and moan about what one chooses to fight if it's no big deal to you. I won't be boycotting them but I appreciate being informed.

g2g591
August 13th, 2007, 02:38 AM
me, I use a Gillette fusion

Roasted
August 13th, 2007, 03:05 AM
2 dollars!? If only I were that lucky...I can't remember exactly, but I think they were about 8 dollars for extra razors...cost just as much as the razor itself. Fusion refills are around 15 to 18 dollars...ridiculous.

Nah, I meant 2 dollars PER cartridge... aka, 8 bucks for 4, or whatever.

P.S. - I picked up the Personna Matrix 3. It's a nice razor. I sat in the car and opened it. I expected it to be more chinsey and cheapo than what I expected, but it sincerely felt JUST like the mach 3 as far as how well built it is.

Anybody find anywhere else where they sell Personna blades? I checked CVS, that's a no. Wondering about places like Target, Eckerd, Kmart, etc... since they're all considerably closer to home than Wal Mart is.

Roasted
August 13th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Is it just me, or does shaving cream suck? I've tried all kinds, and with each one it isn't comfortable when I shave. This is true for the Quattro, Mach 3, AND the Matrix 3 I just got, so I don't think you can blame the razor! The most comfortable shave I get is with using conditioner from out of the shower. I wish I would of done that this time, but hey there's always next time.

Anybody else use anything different?

happy-and-lost
August 13th, 2007, 12:58 PM
A Venus, but not the Pink one.

forrestcupp
August 13th, 2007, 01:08 PM
First of all, I can't believe a thread on razors is going on this long.

Anybody find anywhere else where they sell Personna blades? I checked CVS, that's a no. Wondering about places like Target, Eckerd, Kmart, etc... since they're all considerably closer to home than Wal Mart is.

I have looked everywhere, and I think Persona must be some kind of Wal-mart only brand.

Is it just me, or does shaving cream suck? I've tried all kinds, and with each one it isn't comfortable when I shave. This is true for the Quattro, Mach 3, AND the Matrix 3 I just got, so I don't think you can blame the razor! The most comfortable shave I get is with using conditioner from out of the shower. I wish I would of done that this time, but hey there's always next time.

The Edge shaving gel is better than shaving cream. Personally I just use water and no cream or gel or anything.

BTW - are you just starting to shave or something?

Roasted
August 13th, 2007, 05:18 PM
I started shaving my head about a month ago. I've been shaving it every day since, however I have yet to get comparable results from shaving gel as I got with using conditioner as my means of shaving. When I shave my face, I just use a light amount of shaving gel. However, my skin on my head is different, as expected. Unless my head is constantly moisturized, I tend to get some kind of razor burn. But with something like conditioner, which I just use my other hand to constantly smooth some over the area I'm shaving, it seems to go flawless. Afterwards I can slap and rub my head all I want and it's 100% comfortable. This morning I took my time shaving with gillette shaving gel for sensitive skin, and my head STILL burns. I shaved 5 hours ago. :(

By the way, has anybody ever found any kind of like... an aloe block? You know, like the aloe that's on the razor strips... I was hoping I could find it in like a block form, somewhat like a soap bar. That way I have a continuous supply to use on my head right after I'm done shaving.

Also - I did some research on Personna. They make blades for all kinds of stuff... whether it's industrial blades, or surgical blades for emergency rooms, or even the shaving blades, they make a ton of stuff. But, alas, I guess wally mart is the only place to get the blades I need.

isaacj87
August 13th, 2007, 08:44 PM

I've used bodywash (dial was the brand I think)...seem to work better than my Edge shaving gel (which is quite awful). Seems like soapy things work alot better because shaving cream comes off so easily when water is around.

Roasted
August 13th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Isn't that weird? How is it that actual shaving gel kind of sucks whereas other products, which are on the market with no intention to be used for shaving, actually excel in the shaving department as opposed to real shaving gel?

As I said, I grabbed the Personna Matrix 3 and shaved with it for the first time this morning. Now, in the late afternoon, I'm still feeling the effects of it. Was it the razor? Doubt it. I used shaving gel this morning... and the last couple times with the Mach 3 (where I had zero burn) I've used conditioner.

*shrug*

How is it possible that one razor will last longer than the other? I've shaved about 4 times with the Matrix, and it feels like I'm shaving with glass. I've shaved about 5 times with the Mach 3, and it's still sharp and decent to use. I thought a razor blade was a razor blade was a razor blade. Now I'm suddenly leaning more towards the Mach 3... it'll break even anyway, blades last longer yet cost more. IMO it's more comfortable to use too, however I just never thought a razor would differ like that from one razor to another. *shrug*

mips
August 14th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Isn't that weird? How is it that actual shaving gel kind of sucks whereas other products, which are on the market with no intention to be used for shaving, actually excel in the shaving department as opposed to real shaving gel?

As I said, I grabbed the Personna Matrix 3 and shaved with it for the first time this morning. Now, in the late afternoon, I'm still feeling the effects of it. Was it the razor? Doubt it. I used shaving gel this morning... and the last couple times with the Mach 3 (where I had zero burn) I've used conditioner.

*shrug*

Hair conditionar works very well. Splash you face with hot water a few times, slap on some conditioner, wait for a minute or two, now shave.

rudder
December 12th, 2007, 01:22 AM

I know I am posting in here way, way after this thread got too long for its own good, but I just saw this and thought I would recommend that you try Aveno natural oatmeal shaving cream... They sell it @ most Wal-marts I think. Blue cap and a tan-ish can... good stuff and won't irritate your face as bad.

pmgr33r
December 13th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Combination of Mach 3's and disposable Bics

jpittack
December 13th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Eletric from my sideburns, have just switched to a old spice razor my dad had. Shaved twice with it so far. I have been bleeding a lot. Happy so far though.