PDA

View Full Version : I hope we will be able to get Alternative FreeCDs some time...

kasperl
August 10th, 2007, 11:12 AM
i don't have a CD burner,so i rather appreciate Ubuntu for their precious FreeCD service
but at present we can only order Desktop CDs,they're very convenient of course
however sometimes we will need am Alternative CD to customize our installation
Don't u think so?

laxmanb
August 10th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Ooh me too...

UbuWu
August 10th, 2007, 11:40 AM
You could always buy a cd somewhere:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/purchase

strabes
August 10th, 2007, 02:31 PM
I tihnk the point of getting free CDs from canonical is so that you can give them out and people can experiment with linux without installing it on their computers. I've given 4 out in the past few months. Personally, whenever a new version of kubuntu comes out I just download the alternate CD since it's faster and I'm comfortable with the windows-esque text-based installer that it has. (probably because I had reinstalled windows so many times! hah!)

vexorian
August 10th, 2007, 02:37 PM
shouldn't you hate windows installing ways already? I installed it so many times that I am considering not to install it next time it fails, my brother can buy himself another computer or something, I am sticking with ubuntu.

Anyways...

I personally don't see the reason we can't have both installers in a single CD

argie
August 10th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Back for Dapper, I used jigdo to get some of the files off the Desktop CD and the rest from the internet. It may cut off some size off how much you need to download (<100MB though)

EDIT: Whoops, no CD Burner. Tough luck.

Old Pink
August 10th, 2007, 03:02 PM
i don't have a CD burner,so i rather appreciate Ubuntu for their precious FreeCD service
but at present we can only order Desktop CDs,they're very convenient of course
however sometimes we will need am Alternative CD to customize our installation
Don't u think so?Hm, I'm not sure I quite follow you.

I understood you until the last sentance, about customization.

You want to be able to get the alternative CD via ShipIt, rather than the LiveCD, in order to install on legacy PCs?

The alternate install (text based) doesn't provide any customization.