PDA

View Full Version : The most exciting thing to happen to Ubuntu is Klikit-Linux, who needs CNR now?

RAV TUX
August 10th, 2007, 06:09 AM
Please take a look at the Dristropedia (http://Distropedia.com/) article on Klikit-Linux (http://cafelinux.org/distropedia/?q=node/127) and the Klikit-Linux Storehouse (http://cafelinux.org/distropedia/?q=node/127) web based package manager.

With Klikit-Linux Storehouse who needs CNR?

BoneKracker
August 10th, 2007, 06:44 AM
Looks like a great idea!

PartisanEntity
August 10th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Direct link: http://www.klikit.org/

smoker
August 10th, 2007, 11:08 AM
to me, cnr has been tainted, and i will never use it now.

klikit looks promising, i will be watching with interest.

RAV TUX
August 10th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Looks like a great idea!

Yes the fact that the Klikit-Linux Storehouse (http://cafelinux.org/distropedia/?q=node/127) web based package manager can be used with other distros is quite nice, most important it is free, there is no premium service to buy like CNR.

hqlinux
August 10th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Thank you for the kind words...

We are a distro by friends, for friends. We are currently in the Alpha stage... (4 releases in 3 months)... IMO... (these Alphas are just as stable, and even more so than some of the "release versions" of other distros that I have tried in the past)... but we are very close to going into the beta stage. Please feel free to stop on by and check us out. We are always looking for new friends....

Harvey

%hMa@?b<C
August 10th, 2007, 01:07 PM
is klickit just the front-end or is it an entirely new distro based off of kubuntu?

Brynster
August 10th, 2007, 04:40 PM
it would officially be describe as a Kubuntu derivative as its mainly Kubuntu tuned and adapted to the will of the user base.

Its designed from the ground up to be a community project, designed for friends by friends

please as Hqlinux as mentioned its still at ALPHA stage and as such should be treated carefully and not used in an enviroment where an instability may cause you problems.

Although many have found it incredibly stable there may still be "show stoppers" for some.

geekydude
August 10th, 2007, 09:38 PM
As a member of the KlikIt team, I wish to express our gratitude for taking the time to check us out.
Please drop by even if it's just to say hello...
You will receive a warm welcome from the friendliest community on the net! :)

SunnyRabbiera
August 10th, 2007, 10:01 PM
now to wait for something to help us RPM users :D

floke
August 10th, 2007, 10:10 PM
You'll be waiting a long time...:)

MetalMusicAddict
August 10th, 2007, 10:10 PM
This doesn't warrant a separate disk/distro. Thats right people. We need to keep carving out our own little piece of the pie. ;)

Steveway
August 10th, 2007, 10:19 PM
The only thing I like about CNR is that I'm able to download and install precompiled packages of commercial games and Software and update them as easily as doing an sudo apt-get upgrade.
If that will be possible with klikit and be usable on my Xubuntu, then I'm gonna use it for sure.
Because sadly, I can't use Synaptic to buy Pixel or Quake or UT and download it like all my other apps.

RAV TUX
August 10th, 2007, 11:20 PM
Thank you for the kind words...

We are a distro by friends, for friends. We are currently in the Alpha stage... (4 releases in 3 months)... IMO... (these Alphas are just as stable, and even more so than some of the "release versions" of other distros that I have tried in the past)... but we are very close to going into the beta stage. Please feel free to stop on by and check us out. We are always looking for new friends....

Harvey

Harvey the Klikit-Linux development team has done an awesome job at contributing to the Linux and GNU Open Source community. I look forward to trying out Klikit-Linux and the Klikit-Linux Storehouse web based package manager.

is klickit just the front-end or is it an entirely new distro based off of kubuntu?

Klikit-Linux is the distro...

Klikit-Linux Storehouse is the web based package manager....(that other distros can utilize)

it would officially be describe as a Kubuntu derivative as its mainly Kubuntu tuned and adapted to the will of the user base.

Its designed from the ground up to be a community project, designed for friends by friends

please as Hqlinux as mentioned its still at ALPHA stage and as such should be treated carefully and not used in an enviroment where an instability may cause you problems.

Although many have found it incredibly stable there may still be "show stoppers" for some.

I have found that many Alpha and Beta releases to be more stable then most stable Linux releases also. I trust that this is true for Klickit-Linux also.

As a member of the KlikIt team, I wish to express our gratitude for taking the time to check us out.
Please drop by even if it's just to say hello...
You will receive a warm welcome from the friendliest community on the net! :)

geekydude I welcome your greeting some of the best communities I have found are in smaller communities...

Thanks for the warm welcomes

This doesn't warrant a separate disk/distro. Thats right people. We need to keep carving out our own little piece of the pie. ;)

Actually, as I have stated before new distros and new developments are how Linux and Open Source progresses and rises above the bureaucracy of large distros that can stifle fresh new ideas and developments to a crawl.

In fact I think the best thing for Ubuntu and Canonical is to officially seed and support small distros like this....this is essentially what they had planned with Luanchpad. Distro Incubators and Development farms are the key to the success of Linux now and in the future.

This is what the strength of Linux and GNU Open Source is, and this philosophy is what drew me to the Linux community and is why I support the Linux community.

Through Distropedia (http://cafelinux.org/distropedia/) I support and will help each and every distro project.

I wish the greatest success to Klikit-Linux and as the title says this is the most exciting thing to happen to the Ubuntu community.

Also, as the devs have stated it is possible to use The Klikit-Linux Storehouse Web Based Package Manager in other distros: ie Ubuntu. :)

The Klikit-Linux devs have done a great thing to help Ubuntu, and now it is up to the Ubuntu devs to jump right in and help these guys and fully utilize the greatest potential of The Klikit-Linux Storehouse Web Based Package Management System.

This is a no brainer and one that should not be passed up....

Debian, Ubuntu, Mepis, Linux Mint, Knoppix, Morphix, Dreamlinux, Damn Small, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Fluxbuntu, Ubuntu Studio, Comfusion, Ubuntu Christian Edition Developers. and all other Debian derivatives developers I hope you hear me loud and clear!

The only thing I like about CNR is that I'm able to download and install precompiled packages of commercial games and Software and update them as easily as doing an sudo apt-get upgrade.
If that will be possible with klikit and be usable on my Xubuntu, then I'm gonna use it for sure.
Because sadly, I can't use Synaptic to buy Pixel or Quake or UT and download it like all my other apps.

I believe that this will be possible if it isn't already.

RAV TUX
August 11th, 2007, 06:35 AM
downloading Klikit-Linux now:
http://klikit.org/download.html

MetalMusicAddict
August 11th, 2007, 06:46 AM
Actually, as I have stated before new distros and new developments are how Linux and Open Source progresses and rises above the bureaucracy of large distros that can stifle fresh new ideas and developments to a crawl.
While in a general sense I agree I don't think its how its actually going. Hell, most of the Ubuntu distros (and I use the term "distro" loosely) are just kids using Reconstructor, changing art, adding codecs and callin' it a distro.

IMO its better to work with a disrto. Whether it be Debian, Fedora, Foresight, (insert-distro-here), whatever.

Meh... Just my 2-bit opinion.

vexorian
August 11th, 2007, 06:51 AM
IMO its better to worth with a disrto.huh?

eentonig
August 11th, 2007, 06:58 AM
I fail to see the big improvement or change that justifies to call this a seperate distro as well.

But what the hell, if you guys want to have fun with it, I'm not going to be a showstopper.

Brynster
August 11th, 2007, 10:31 AM
[no text

sorry duplicate posting

Brynster
August 11th, 2007, 10:36 AM
I fail to see the big improvement or change that justifies to call this a seperate distro as well.

But what the hell, if you guys want to have fun with it, I'm not going to be a showstopper.

Its a distro by friends for friends. As i posted its a derivitive of Kubuntu over a fully fledge separate disty, It may gro in the future to its own entity

rlozano
August 11th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Well, what ever you call it, let's just all hope that there will come a time that a unified linux distro will come and we will be all using it, instead of M$.

Each distro that comes out every now and then presents another alternative that an OS specialization has to offer.

But yeah, what ever is most suitable to you, and where you feel comfortable you go for it.

As for Klikit, I belive, it's a great effort at all. Gratz!

Steveway
August 11th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Ubuntu-studio has more changes to stock-ubuntu than klikit.
For example the Real-time-kernel.

Brynster
August 11th, 2007, 10:52 AM
no text

loell
August 11th, 2007, 10:57 AM
the thread title is kinda confusing in a way, cause the subjects get mixed ;)

klikit linux is a kubuntu derivative , right?

while klikit linux storehouse is the one intended as a viable competitor for CNR.

hqlinux
August 11th, 2007, 11:17 AM
I wouldn't call the KlikIt Storehouse a competitor to CNR... it is more of an alternative.

Here is a couple of links that you may wish to check out:

http://www.klikit.org/storehouse-in-action.html

and:

http://www.klikit.org/

and we have a wiki started now as well.

http://klikit.pbwiki.com/

Enjoy. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

One more thing though... the founder and chief developer's name is Chris Ramaglia. He was originally from Mount Vernon, N.Y. and now lives in Mexico (San Miguel de Allende, GTO.) since he was 3 years old. He is an active M.D. - and has been for the last 25 years - (Private Practice - Family Physician).

Harvey

RAV TUX
August 11th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Honestly guys I like all distros all Linux and even all BSD, and OpenSolaris.

These guys at klikit-Linux have developed a distro by friends for friends that the whole linux community can benefit from.

I feel they have some great ideas and the most freindly Linux community forum I have found...these guys aren't elitist, just some down to earth good guys with some good ideas.

I have downloaded Klikit-Linux and will burn it and give it a try.

While in a general sense I agree I don't think its how its actually going. Hell, most of the Ubuntu distros (and I use the term "distro" loosely) are just kids using Reconstructor, changing, adding codecs and callin' it a distro.

IMO its better to work with a disrto. Whether it be Debian, Fedora, Foresight, (insert-distro-here), whatever.

Meh... Just my 2-bit opinion.

You would say the same about Ubuntu Studio right?

I wouldn't call the KlikIt Storehouse a competitor to CNR... it is more of an alternative.

and:

One more thing though... the founder and chief developer's name is Chris Ramaglia. He was originally from Mount Vernon, N.Y. and now lives in Mexico (San Miguel de Allende, GTO.) since he was 3 years old. He is an active M.D. - and has been for the last 25 years - (Private Practice - Family Physician).

Harvey

Thanks for adding the information about the founder, I will add this to the Distropedia (http://Distropedia.com/) page about Klikit-Linux.

I wonder how many distros have been developed by a Physician?....just curious.

misfitpierce
August 11th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Storehouse looks great

Nekiruhs
August 11th, 2007, 04:37 PM
now to wait for something to help us RPM users :D
Have you tried Alien ( sudo apt-get install alien )? Jut run alien -d /path/to/RPM to make a Deb from an RPM.

RAV TUX
August 11th, 2007, 04:39 PM

and:

Harvey

Done, I have qouted you Harvey on the Klikit-Linux page on Distropedia:

http://cafelinux.org/distropedia/?q=node/126

RAV TUX
August 11th, 2007, 04:41 PM
the thread title is kinda confusing in a way, cause the subjects get mixed ;)

klikit linux is a kubuntu derivative , right?

while klikit linux storehouse is the one intended as a viable competitor for CNR.Yeah theres only so much space available for the title.:)

Epilonsama
August 11th, 2007, 05:18 PM

what's your problem with ubuntu based distro's, you yourself created a ubuntu based distro I could say that you didnt have to create a separate distro.

hqlinux
August 11th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Done, I have qouted you Harvey on the Klikit-Linux page on Distropedia:

http://cafelinux.org/distropedia/?q=node/126

That's fine by me.

I sincerely appreciate the notice that we have been given, and the kind words. We truly are a distro by friends, for friends.

Please feel free to stop by and see for yourself, everyone. We like to make new friends... :)

Harvey

RAV TUX
August 11th, 2007, 05:44 PM
That's fine by me.

I sincerely appreciate the notice that we have been given, and the kind words. We truly are a distro by friends, for friends.

Please feel free to stop by and see for yourself, everyone. We like to make new friends... :)

Harvey

I have added the qoute:

"A distro by friends, for friends"

Since this appears to represent the Klikit-Linux community the best.

MetalMusicAddict
August 11th, 2007, 05:47 PM
You would say the same about Ubuntu Studio right?

Please be specific. As I see it Klikit-Linux is Kubuntu with 1 added feature.

Ubuntu Studio was started for many reasons and isn't as simple as adding a list of installed packages. We actually work to make it appear that way. ;)

Ubuntu Studio WILL die (in its current form) once we can get things changed in Ubuntu or things change in linux to where the things we set up fit everyones needs. It is a finite project.

what's your problem with ubuntu based distro's, you yourself created a ubuntu based distro I could say that you didnt have to create a separate distro.
You missed the point and don't know much about our project. ;)

Epilonsama
August 11th, 2007, 05:54 PM
You missed the point and don't know much about our project. ;)

Well then enlighten me about what makes ubuntu studio different from other ubuntu based distros.

It seems that you dont understand the concept of FLOSS, nor the GPL cuz its alright to fork all you want if you think a special feature should be added to a distro but you realize it needs more than just adding a repo.

FurryNemesis
August 11th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Since when has innovation been bad?

Even if it's one idea, the experience learned from the creation of that distro may well benefit the Linux community at a later date.

Good work Klikkiteers :)

RAV TUX
August 11th, 2007, 06:15 PM
Since when has innovation been bad?

Even if it's one idea, the experience learned from the creation of that distro may well benefit the Linux community at a later date.

Good work Klikkiteers :)

Well said! and the simple fact is the Klikit-Linux community is the most friendly bunch of people I have met online, who just seem to be adding great innovations to the Linux community at large.

Well done mates, keep up the great work....

MetalMusicAddict
August 11th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Well then enlighten me about what makes ubuntu studio different from other ubuntu based distros.
If you care, PM me.

It seems that you dont understand the concept of FLOSS, nor the GPL cuz its alright to fork all you want if you think a special feature should be added to a distro but you realize it needs more than just adding a repo.
lol. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. ;)

-fin

RAV TUX
August 11th, 2007, 06:46 PM
OK,...now back on topic

I have burned the Klikit-Linux CD

I look forward to trying this when I get a chance....

hqlinux
August 11th, 2007, 07:14 PM
I have added the qoute:

Since this appears to represent the Klikit-Linux community the best.

That is our slogan... and we mean it.:)

Harvey

RAV TUX
August 12th, 2007, 04:19 AM
That is our slogan... and we mean it.:)

Harvey

I have learned that in my breif time at the Klikit-Linux forum that this slogan is 100% true.

I hope that the notabilty that Klikit-Linux is recieving draws more friends, users and developers to Klikit-Linux.

Developers can either be a little fish in a big pond or be a big fish in a small pond, if you really want to make a difference, join the Klikit-Linux project. ;)

Of course they have open arms to new friends and users. :)

geekydude
October 17th, 2007, 09:49 PM
The KlikIt-Linux team is proud to announce the release of their first Beta, code named First Flight (version 0.1-7B).

To learn more about KlikIt Linux and to download the first Beta, visit http://klikit.org .

geekydude
October 17th, 2007, 09:58 PM

CaptainTux
October 17th, 2007, 10:22 PM
This is a most exciting project to be a part of. I am not asking anyone to leave Ubuntu or any other distro they have chosen...but I would love it if you came to our corner of the web, checked out the BETA, said hi to our community and feel free to share your thoughts as openly and honestly as you can about our project.

Cheers

Crashmaxx
October 17th, 2007, 10:30 PM
So far from what I see about this. It seems that as long as an app is in your normal repos, it will just have apt-get run for you. IMO that is a much better way of doing things then stuff like get-deb where you always download and install just a deb.

But my question is how do packages not in the normal repos work? Whether they are newer versions or other apps, is there a repo for each app or for all in klickit or what? Usually the problem with one repo is that you try to get say Firefox 3 and it is in the same repo as a lot of other beta software which with that repo in there, apt-get wants to get the newer version of everything.

So anyway, I guess I'd just like to hear the details of how it adds repos when needed. If that bit works reasonably, then this could really be nice for getting third party apps and keeping them up to date easily.

CaptainTux
October 17th, 2007, 10:39 PM
So far from what I see about this. It seems that as long as an app is in your normal repos, it will just have apt-get run for you. IMO that is a much better way of doing things then stuff like get-deb where you always download and install just a deb.

But my question is how do packages not in the normal repos work? Whether they are newer versions or other apps, is there a repo for each app or for all in klickit or what? Usually the problem with one repo is that you try to get say Firefox 3 and it is in the same repo as a lot of other beta software which with that repo in there, apt-get wants to get the newer version of everything.

So anyway, I guess I'd just like to hear the details of how it adds repos when needed. If that bit works reasonably, then this could really be nice for getting third party apps and keeping them up to date easily.

I do not know the answer to your question. Keep your eye on this space and I will take it back to Chris Medico (our fearless leader) and get back to you.

CaptainTux
October 17th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Crashmaxx,

I asked Chris about your question and here is what he had to say....

"Basically what I plan on doing is to keep using mostly the "official" (K)Ubuntu repositories, and soon in the future our own. Our own repo will include a mirror of the feisty + gutsy (K)Ubuntu repos, plus the sources (which we have to do so we don't run into any GPL problems), plus our own that will include any extra package that we use in Klikit-Linux, plus its sources."

I hope this helps.

RAV TUX
October 18th, 2007, 12:51 AM
The KlikIt-Linux team is proud to announce the release of their first Beta, code named First Flight (version 0.1-7B).

To learn more about KlikIt Linux and to download the first Beta, visit http://klikit.org .Very nice, thanks for the post.