PDA

View Full Version : Python Challenge

yuvlevental
August 10th, 2007, 01:04 AM
Using the knowledge provided on my site in the sig, Create a login script using your combined Python knowledge. It should ask for a username and password. When you are done, email it to me at:
I'm looking for something like a guessing game. Here's an example

Enter in username and password.
User: qwerty
Pass: 123456
You are incorrect. Try again
User: jack
Pass: 205678
User: 123456
Pass: 123456
User: secret
Pass: secret
You are correct!

Then email me at
yuval [dot ]imperius [at] gmail [dot] com.

yuvlevental
August 10th, 2007, 01:06 AM
if you give a good script, I will credit you on my site

Henaro
August 10th, 2007, 01:09 AM
Why python?

yuvlevental
August 10th, 2007, 01:11 AM
I like Python the most Easy/Powerful, very rare combo

LookTJ
August 10th, 2007, 03:11 AM
take out the @ sign and put (AT) or -AT- to protect yourself from bots.

yuvlevental
August 10th, 2007, 03:36 AM
ok

boopyg
August 10th, 2007, 03:53 AM
'

Nekiruhs
August 10th, 2007, 03:59 AM
Using the knowledge provided on my site in the sig, Create a login script using your combined Python knowledge. It should ask for a username and password. When you are done, email it to me at:
yuval [dot ]imperius [at] gmail [dot] com.
Like really log in? Or allow the creation of a "user" and ask for the information?

yuvlevental
August 10th, 2007, 04:06 AM
in more general terms, create something that asks for two specific terms to be inputted in a terminal. If the terms are correct, then a "You are correct" message should be displayed in the terminal. If not, then a "You are incorrect" message should be displayed in the terminal.

ericesque
August 10th, 2007, 04:18 AM
Are you getting us to do your homework for you? 8-[

Nekiruhs
August 10th, 2007, 04:27 AM
in more general terms, create something that asks for two specific terms to be inputted in a terminal. If the terms are correct, then a "You are correct" message should be displayed in the terminal. If not, then a "You are incorrect" message should be displayed in the terminal.
Done, check your email.

yuvlevental
August 10th, 2007, 08:07 PM
i forgot some details of the challenge, I added them for anyone who's interested

Siamang
August 10th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Are you getting us to do your homework for you?

I think it's more along the lines of getting people to create content for his extremely basic website.

First off, Yuvlevental, your site has no 'knowledge' that can't be found in a more concise format on any easily Googlable Python beginner FAQ. Secondly, why are you posting and calling your requests for code 'challenges' when you make it clear that you just started learning Python 2 weeks ago? We're not gullible enough to whitewash fences, which is what this smells like.

I appreciate the idea of people trying to create useful sites, but I suspect you're just trying to sponge off other people's work in order to create a dumpy tech blog(yes, I saw the mention of *potential* credit given of a yet-to-be-specified level and think that's a weak form of compensation). If you're really interested in learning Python you should be able to do this yourself after two weeks.

yuvlevental
August 10th, 2007, 11:34 PM
I think it's more along the lines of getting people to create content for his extremely basic website.

First off, Yuvlevental, your site has no 'knowledge' that can't be found in a more concise format on any easily Googlable Python beginner FAQ. Secondly, why are you posting and calling your requests for code 'challenges' when you make it clear that you just started learning Python 2 weeks ago? We're not gullible enough to whitewash fences, which is what this smells like.

I appreciate the idea of people trying to create useful sites, but I suspect you're just trying to sponge off other people's work in order to create a dumpy tech blog(yes, I saw the mention of *potential* credit given of a yet-to-be-specified level and think that's a weak form of compensation). If you're really interested in learning Python you should be able to do this yourself after two weeks.

I just want to see if python is worth learning, after a friend suggested it to me to begin programming with. This blog will document my, a nonprogrammer's experiences and challenges in learning python. It's based on learningpython.com, excape the creator of that site was a programmer in C++ and therefore took a quick approach It, in the future will go beyond the basics and cover libraries. I will also create apps of my own in the future, and this site will be a place for them. I did the challenge thing just to spice up my blog, and also to see if my readers could get what I was saying.

mustang
August 10th, 2007, 11:55 PM
I just want to see if python is worth learning, after a friend suggested it to me to begin programming with. This blog will document my, a nonprogrammer's experiences and challenges in learning python. It's based on learningpython.com, excape the creator of that site was a programmer in C++ and therefore took a quick approach It, in the future will go beyond the basics and cover libraries. I will also create apps of my own in the future, and this site will be a place for them. I did the challenge thing just to spice up my blog, and also to see if my readers could get what I was saying.

Your efforts would be much better served if you devoted them solely to learning python. I would not advise using your time to document your adventure----rather, enjoy the adventure itself.

There are tons of online and textual resources at your disposal. Use them and try to master the language. Ask questions that pertain to certain obstacles you run into. I guarantee you'll find more insightful posts in those threads :)

yuvlevental
August 11th, 2007, 12:33 AM
Your efforts would be much better served if you devoted them solely to learning python. I would not advise using your time to document your adventure----rather, enjoy the adventure itself.

There are tons of online and textual resources at your disposal. Use them and try to master the language. Ask questions that pertain to certain obstacles you run into. I guarantee you'll find more insightful posts in those threads :)

I tried going to these tutorials, but the thing is, the people who wrote them are experienced programmers, and therefore, they are prone to skip some parts that are obvious to them, whereas a nonprogrammer probably would fail to understand. For example, at the Nonprogrammer's Tutorial for python (http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Non-Programmer's_Tutorial_for_Python/Contents), the author doesn't even explain how to change a directory. I think it would be best if a nonprogrammer like me shared his experience, unlike experienced Programmers, who assume what a nonprogrammer would already know/experience. It is my mission to create a 100% nonprogrammer-friendly experience when it comes to learning Python Also, in the future, I believe that the Python community could use my blog as proof that an actual nonprogrammer, from scratch, could become a Python master. And that's what I have to say about that.

Yuval A.K.A. Imperius

mustang
August 11th, 2007, 03:33 AM
I tried going to these tutorials, but the thing is, the people who wrote them are experienced programmers, and therefore, they are prone to skip some parts that are obvious to them, whereas a nonprogrammer probably would fail to understand. For example, at the Nonprogrammer's Tutorial for python (http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Non-Programmer's_Tutorial_for_Python/Contents), the author doesn't even explain how to change a directory. I think it would be best if a nonprogrammer like me shared his experience, unlike experienced Programmers, who assume what a nonprogrammer would already know/experience. It is my mission to create a 100% nonprogrammer-friendly experience when it comes to learning Python Also, in the future, I believe that the Python community could use my blog as proof that an actual nonprogrammer, from scratch, could become a Python master. And that's what I have to say about that.

Yuval A.K.A. Imperius

Yuval, I think that's a very noble goal you have there. From the now three years of school experience in addition to what I've learned on my own, I've never contributed back. I've never had a blog and the last time I maintained a webpage, it was for pleasure rather than knowledge. This isn't something I'm proud of and I do plan on authoring some online help resources in the future.

But for now, I've been concentrating on mastering what I know and that would be my advice to you. I hate to say it but that python tutorial page you linked above isn't exactly very comprehensive. It's more of a learn-by-example resource rather than one that explains the fundamentals. And also, it'll take you ages to learn python if you also devote time to documenting how you learned it. This mission is more suitable to be carried out once you understand Python very well.

I'd highly suggest picking up a book on python. I have one of the O'Reilly ones for python and I find it easy to read. If you're serious about programming and want it to be more than just a hobby, you might consider taking classes at your local community college or even possibly at a University.