PDA

View Full Version : Helping Other Teams

DPic
August 10th, 2007, 12:34 AM
This summer i went to Thailand for six weeks and just got home at 1 am this morning. In Thailand i saw so many places where Ubuntu should be used. I saw schools with lots of PC's, Internet Cafe's everywhere, and lots of stores selling TONS of pirated software. I got in touch with their LoCo team and they haven't really done much and lack resources and members. Most Thai people know nothing about open source. In all of Thailand (and i went to a LOT of places) i only saw a couple places with macs, none of which were schools or internet cafe's. Nearly all computers ran windows.

It is places like this that are all over the world that i see so much potential for Open Source and for this reason i think that when we get approved and/or have the resources to, we should make it a priority to help get these other LoCo teams growing. Does anybody else think this is fairly important?

mselva
August 10th, 2007, 10:43 PM
It would certainly be a GOOD THING to help a local user group in Thailand (and elsewhere) get up & running, but I'm not sure how this could be done unless we have an actual contact person there, who is fluent in English, with whom we could easily communicate via email, VOIP, podcast, and/or video. If such a person could be identified, then I for one would be happy to be on a list of MA group members available for long-distance consultation.

DPic
August 10th, 2007, 10:45 PM
I posted to the Ubuntu mailing list (which for some reason they use Google Groups for) and their forum and i got english replies :)

I can't say for other places but Thailand isn't very hard to find english speakers