PDA

View Full Version : What would you recommend to the new user who wants popular proprietary codecs?

aysiu
August 9th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Since there's a lot of controversy about Automatix these days (or any days for the past two years), I'm just curious what people would recommend to new Ubuntu users who want their proprietary codecs, drivers, and software.

If you would (as would I) recommend any number of different things, depending on the situation, just pick the method you would most often recommend (the most common situation--not the peculiar one).

I deliberately left off a "Suck it up and use open source only!" option from the poll.

And in case you missed all the controversy:
Matthew Garrett's Analysis of Automatix (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=517202&highlight=automatix)
DIGG.com: WARNING Automatix Can Break Ubuntu and Turn Your Hair Gray (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=504652&highlight=automatix)
Automatix VS Gnome-app-install, an Accessibility and Usability Discussion. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=510563&highlight=automatix)

AndyCooll
August 9th, 2007, 09:59 PM
I'd recommend using Ubuntu's built-in installation tools.

After that there's also the Add/Remove feature and I might suggest installing all the gstreamer codecs

:cool:

jrusso2
August 9th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Most new users have no clue about how to use the tools they are confused enough just trying to figure out the install.

I think Ubuntu should provide a one click install on the desktop thats says click here for Nvidia or ATI drivers another for install wireless, and the last one for codecs and dvd right on the desktop first thing you see.

smoker
August 9th, 2007, 10:09 PM
i have no problem recommending automatix, and if i was doing the installation i would install it for them, though if they were completely new to linux, i would prefer to install mint for them.

forrestcupp
August 9th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Just use Feisty or newer. It's easier than Windows. It does most of it for you.

aysiu
August 9th, 2007, 10:25 PM
For me, it was a tough call between the built-in tools (like Restricted Drivers Manager) and Linux Mint.

I ended up voting for Linux Mint, though, because I remember what it was like to be a new user (I was one two years ago), and you don't want to do things to get your installation working, no matter how easy those steps are. You want it to "just work" as much as possible. Even an Automatix- or EasyUbuntu-like is too much initially. Linux Mint has sensible program defaults and most of the proprietary crud new users want, so I would recommend that.

To a user who's a bit more open-minded and wants to learn the proper way to do things, I'd recommend the built-in tools or Ubuntu Guide.

bapoumba
August 9th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Voted option n°2.
Ubuntu supported methods is the best way to get help on an Ubuntu help resource (forums, IRC, mailing lists, LP...).
When I was just a beginner myself, this is also the way I did it, and the way I've recommended it around me.

KiwiNZ
August 9th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Depending on their skill and how close they live near me it could range from ,I have no idea what you are talking about to recommending Automatix.

I still recommend Automatix in some circumstance.

It really comes down to how they will use their machine .

az
August 10th, 2007, 01:34 PM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

That's really the best. Not only could you copy and paste, you can point and click. You can learn as much or as little as you want. It's always accurate because it is well supported.

It should be a poll option, as far as I am concerned.

hessiess
August 10th, 2007, 01:39 PM
convert all your midia into open formats

b0ng0
August 10th, 2007, 01:56 PM
When setting up Ubuntu on my bro's laptop I used Automatix to install the codecs, flash for Firefox, etc. and it made installiing Ubuntu such a breeze compared to when I did it on my desktop and had to go through ubuntuguide.org (as awesome as it is) and it took longer to set up than Windows did.

There really needs to be a program like Automatix, but I guess if it's dodgy then someone needs to create a program that isn't. :p

strabes
August 10th, 2007, 02:09 PM
[code]sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted extras[code]

It's that easy.

zugu
August 10th, 2007, 03:00 PM
I would recommend Windows.

bapoumba
August 10th, 2007, 03:04 PM
... what people would recommend to new Ubuntu users who want ...

I would recommend Windows.
@ zugu: Guess you want to play funny, which is not actually.

Spr0k3t
August 10th, 2007, 03:16 PM
My first move would be to use the Restricted Drivers manager... (worked great for me), my second step would be to use a large string I've created and paste it into a terminal. If that still doesn't work for their needs, I would direct them to choose a different distro.

argie
August 10th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Popular Proprietary Codecs. Hmm, I just installed Feisty Fawn on this computer a month ago and it was click and go for the proprietary codecs in Totem. So, I do not understand the need for advice.

But mplayer, otherwise, with binary codecs. Instructions as terminal commands to copy-paste.

miggols99
August 10th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Linux Mint because codecs are installed out of the box, and you don't have to do very much more setting up after you've installed it.

reacocard
August 10th, 2007, 04:04 PM
I recommend the Ubuntu tools. They work very well, the only one I need they don't do is libdvdcss, which is handled easily by medibuntu.

insane_alien
August 10th, 2007, 04:14 PM
i toss tem a copy of a script i made and tell them the command to run it from the terminal. it goes and installs flash and codecs and the like through aptitude after enabling the extra repos needed.

John.Michael.Kane
August 10th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Running the commands via the terminal.

Sunflower1970
August 10th, 2007, 05:19 PM
If they're very, very, very new to Linux, and need these codecs immediately, I have no problem recommending Automatix, but I would do it with a warning this could cause problems with the system, and that before any major update/upgrade to their system to uninstall everything they installed with Automatix so there would be less of a problem.

I would also let them know about medibuntu, and once they have the time, and feel more comfortable in a Linux enviornment, to add their reposittories to their sources.list. Then tell them to remove everything Automatix installed, remove Automatix, and install the codecs through Synaptic then...

This is pretty much what I did, and it all worked very well for me...

g2g591
August 10th, 2007, 05:37 PM
I installed automatix, then a few days later it "dissappeared". I can't remember if I uninstalled it or what. But Synaptic and Adept are just as easy as Automatix. And I am/was new to Linux, I just started about a month ago.

Hex_Mandos
August 10th, 2007, 06:09 PM
The built-in GUI tools, of course. I don't like Mint, it's a pointless spinoff. Most users will benefit more from the great Ubuntu community than the proprietary bits included by Mint.

thelinux_guy
August 10th, 2007, 06:16 PM
I think its key that we have something similar to EasyUbuntu but specifically for codecs. Sort of like a wizard that guides you through the process of locating the codec you need to play or watch a file ( like check the checkbox of the codec or codec pack you need ) and click install. this way, the user can enable Ubuntu to play all there media they own in a few clicks :)

SunnyRabbiera
August 10th, 2007, 06:27 PM
I personally would recommend another distro such as mint, Mepis or PCLOS, even though I personally never had any issues with automatix in ubuntu I know many who have

ThinkBuntu
August 10th, 2007, 06:47 PM
I would recommend one of the following distros, all of which come with the necessary codecs. Some of them don't include encrypted DVD playback.

Zenwalk
PCLinuxOS
Pardus
Mint
Foresight

I might shy away from recommending Zenwalk for a laptop user.

dada1958
August 10th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Another vote for Automatix, it did the job for me when I was overwhelmed by the new OS ...

lyceum
August 10th, 2007, 11:41 PM
I have used Automatix on over 100 Ubuntu installs. I have never had any issues. If there really are problems with it, why doesn't anyone jump in and help fix them? I really do not understand what the problem is, the people at Automatix seem like a nice bunch really trying to help, but I see them dogged from time to time. I do not doubt that Automatix is not perfect. As a non-coder I do not understand why there are grips but no solutions. (sorry, had to vent on all the bad press I have read of late)

Anyhow, Autmatix is easy and, for me, 100% success full. I do think it would be okay for Canonical to make an Ubuntu with the codexes installed and charge for it. I would gladly pay $50-$100 for Ubuntu ready to go and legal in the USA so I can watch DVDs.

original_jamingrit
August 10th, 2007, 11:46 PM
I'd recommend Linux Mint, but I have yet to try it out myself an see what the install is like.

ruibernardo
August 11th, 2007, 12:00 AM
I really suggest to follow this post:

Enabling Multimedia in Feisty (HOW-TO) (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=413626)

It's the a sticky one in "Multimedia & Video" forum.

It's complete and works just fine without any problem. Just to spare me all the clicking it suggests, I have a apt-get command line with all the packages those clicks install:

sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad \
gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly \
gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg \
ubuntu-restricted-extras java-common sun-java6-bin sun-java6-jre \
sun-java6-plugin libdvdread3 gsfonts-x11 jackd
It just works perfectly and I suggest it to my friends :)

aysiu
August 11th, 2007, 12:05 AM
I'd recommend Linux Mint, but I have yet to try it out myself an see what the install is like.
It's very much like Ubuntu. In fact, it really is Ubuntu... but with different artwork and default programs.

lyceum
August 11th, 2007, 01:00 AM

I switched to mint for a while. They are still using 6.10 from what I understand. I switched back with 7.04, it blew Mint away. Mint may also not be legal in the USA and other backwards countries.

msgnomer
August 11th, 2007, 03:08 AM
The current Linux Mint is based on Feisty. Whether or not it's legal in some countries isn't going to phase someone who intends to install the proprietary drivers anyway. ;)

starcraft.man
August 11th, 2007, 03:22 AM
I voted other, though maybe the synaptic option is the one I wanted. I'd recommend to folks a great guide/book to walk them through basics of Linux and Ubuntu and point them towards official means like synaptic/aptitude. No matter how well made a script/remix is, a new user will likely always run into something they don't know/have trouble with and it's best to have information at hand and be knowledgeable I think.

logos34
August 11th, 2007, 03:45 AM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

That's really the best. Not only could you copy and paste, you can point and click. You can learn as much or as little as you want. It's always accurate because it is well supported.

It should be a poll option, as far as I am concerned.

I agree. Besides, most newcomers to (Ubuntu) understand that part of the deal with linux is using the terminal once in a while. I don't recall having any trouble with it the first time. If anything I think it helps people to appreciate the power and simplicity of the command line, familiarizes them with editing synaptic/software sources, shows them the different audio and video media players available, etc.

Epilonsama
August 11th, 2007, 03:53 AM
Linux Mint all the way, is the easiest and safest way to install an ubuntu based distro with all the bells and whistles, thats why i use it cuz i always experiment with linux and I reinstall my system frequently so having something that has already do the work for me is a time saver, and besides you dont need automatix in linuxmint :guitar:

I switched to mint for a while. They are still using 6.10 from what I understand. I switched back with 7.04, it blew Mint away. Mint may also not be legal in the USA and other backwards countries.

No, Linux Mint is based on Feisty and use Feisty Repos and some extra Mint repos, actually Clem, the mint dev is trying to separate itself from Ubuntu and its trying to create new and promising things to make it easier for the end user to use linux, and if you have Linux mint problem you can ask in their forums or even ask one of the devs themselves, but you could also ask in ubuntuforums if the problem is a general ubuntu issue cuz 99% of the problems ubuntu are the same in Linux Mint

Mr. Picklesworth
August 11th, 2007, 05:36 AM
I don't know what kind of content those Automatix people are using, but I have had no problems with the default installation methods and Universe / Multiverse repositories.

After Easy Codec Installation gave me some codecs when I first set up this system, I have not encountered a single piece of content that I cannot view, and I still dabble in a lot of Windows, so that's saying something. I have not installed a single codec package or media player outside of the default repositories.
What on Earth are people using that justifies Automatix?!

It made sense when it was first developed, but at this point the distro does codecs that easily without the need to install another program. People can yabber all they want about Automatix being more user friendly than gnome-app-install, but that does not change the fact that getting it requires a 3rd party package to be installed before that "friendlier" interface can even be touched!
Compare that to opening a file and having the system automatically help you download the codec, seamlessly, at the same time the user learns the codec is not available. Which is friendlier?

Automatix had its day. Now, however, it is done. Its point was made. It had a good run, and back when we didn't have the features, it had a justifiable purpose. Now the functionality is here, by default.

It would be helpful if sources.list was edited to include that stuff, but installing another program to do it "automatically" is not exactly the easy way to do that. (System -> Administration -> Software Sources is much fewer steps than Applications -> Internet -> Web Browser -> type www.getautomatix.com -> download -> double click file -> nstall -> run Automatix).

How about, now that Automatix's primary purpose is being filled in by default (and better integrated) systems, instead of yet another program installer someone build an Ubuntu first-run screen? Much less chance of screwing systems up, quite user friendly, and doing exactly what Automatix's role seems to have become. (Oh, not to mention the chance of glory gained from the likelihood of it maybe getting welcomed officially into the distro).