PDA

View Full Version : How about the Linux patent alliance?

forrestcupp
August 9th, 2007, 09:49 PM
I think most people here love what is going on with the Linux patent alliance. Just think about it; all of these companies joining their patents together in an alliance to stick it to The Man. We're attacking MS with their own weapon and showing them they're not the only strong arm in town.

The problem is, all of the people here that formerly spoke vehemently against the morality of software patents are elated about this alliance. Guess what. They're using software patents to do this, and not someone else's - their own.

If software patents are immoral for Microsoft, they're immoral for the Linux patent alliance, too.

Or was all of that just Microsoft bashing and no one really believes what they say?

aks44
August 9th, 2007, 09:53 PM
IMHO software patents really are "immoral".

But the laws allow them, so... in Rome do like the Romans, if it can serve freedom. (aka Use your enemies' own weapons)

forrestcupp
August 10th, 2007, 12:43 AM
IMHO software patents really are "immoral".

But the laws allow them, so... in Rome do like the Romans, if it can serve freedom. (aka Use your enemies' own weapons)

But these companies took these software patents before this situation arose. People do that for a reason. If software patents are wrong, they were wrong when these Linux supporting companies obtained them.

Right now, they are using them for a just cause, but who's to say they won't change their motives later. Just look at this (http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2135675/nokia-joins-linux-patent-alliance) article about Nokia joining the alliance:

Nokia's guarantee is limited to existing versions of the Linux kernel, and the company reserves the right to enforce patents against future versions and functionalities of the operating system.

Let's not be hypocritical here. It could bite us in the butt.

smoker
August 10th, 2007, 12:49 AM
the whole patent system is bananas, and if you're gonna threaten me with a banana bashing, then sure as hell i'm going to get my own bunch of bananas!