PDA

View Full Version : Which is the best compiz or beryl or compiz fusion

kinngg
August 9th, 2007, 08:07 PM
which one of those is the best, and please tell me why they're good, like what are the advantages n disadvantages,

Thx! i personally think compiz-fusion is best because it is sort of like a collaboration of the 2

por100pre1
August 9th, 2007, 08:29 PM
I tried compiz-fusion on Feisty but I ended up uninstalling it because it's magnifier didn't work as fine as beryl magnifier works.

afterwego
August 9th, 2007, 08:32 PM
I think Beryl is actually going away and in its place will be Compiz Fusion. I personally like Compiz Fusion the best because it basically is a combined effort of both Compiz and Beryl now. A lot of availabe features and a lot of new ones.

Once the dust from the merger settles we should see a solid product from Compiz Fusion and hopefully an Ubuntu accepted method of installing it. I am also aware of it being default in Gutsy.

petit.padavoine
August 9th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Compiz is poor in features, it doesn't do much stuff :D.
Beryl is great, but it's buggy and not developed or supported anymore.
Compiz Fusion is a fusion of the two projects. It has all Beryl's features, plus others, and it's much more stable.

bodhi.zazen
August 9th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Moved to cafe (this is NOT a support question )

FuturePilot
August 9th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Compiz is poor in features, it doesn't do much stuff :D.

Check the link in my sig. You'll be surprised ;)

I'm using Beryl right now, but I have tried out Compiz-Fusion and it has way more features than either Compiz or Beryl. Not sure about the stability though. I've never had any major problems with Beryl.

cobrn1
August 9th, 2007, 09:24 PM
AS far as I was aware, they had merged, so that although beryl is still availiable, only compiz-fusion is being developed (and will ergo receive continuing support, at least in the long term). In which case your best bet is to go with compiz-fusion - besides, it gets new features almost every week (ie, it recently got fold, airplane and skew).

forrestcupp
August 9th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Beryl + nvidia worked with opengl apps and games.

Compiz/Fusion + nvidia doesn't work with opengl apps and games - it crashes X.

Too bad Beryl isn't even available in Gutsy. You're forced to use Compiz/Fusion or nothing. I guess they're kind of a monopoly in compositing.

Ultra Magnus
August 9th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Compiz fusion - Some plugins don't work as well as they did in beryl - 3d windows and the magnifier but it looks so much better!

I haven't encoutered too many issues with stability either - due to a massive torrent i'm downloading (legal of course ;) ) I have had my computer on and running CF for about a week now, no problems - although It might have a memory leek because emerald is using ~220Mb of ram and Xgl is using about the same! - on fresh reboot my system rarely uses more than 300 altogether.

tbroderick
August 9th, 2007, 10:29 PM
None.

goumples
August 9th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Compiz Fusion.. it gave me less trouble for trying to use an ATI card.

vexorian
August 9th, 2007, 11:25 PM
compiz-fusion tops the other 2 by miles of height... It is the only one that was actually not freezing my computer...