PDA

View Full Version : My WGA dilemma

M$LOL
August 9th, 2007, 05:40 PM
OK, WGA should not be an issue for me, I have more than one genuine Windows license, so you would think that WGA would pose no problem to me.

(I'm talking about the thing on the MS website that validates your copy of Windows before you can download, not the Notifications program).

Ever since I started using Ubuntu on my main PC, I can no longer download things like the DirectX SDK, which I need. I do have a VM, but I have no intention of connecting that to the net, if I did that I'd need to install antivirus and antispyware etc, which makes the VM slow and takes up diskspace, not to mention the inconvenience.

What I want to be able to do is download the updates on Ubuntu and use Brasero to make .iso files, and then mount them in the VM. But, I can't validate Ubuntu, and I can't validate an OS I'm not using, so is there any way to show that I am using a legit Windows license?

I don't think what I'm trying to do is piracy, since I do have a legit Windows OS, I just want to DL the updates on a different OS.:(

Depressed Man
August 9th, 2007, 05:43 PM
There was a way awhile back using ActiveX (apparantly it use to recognize Ubuntu as a valid Windows OS lol). But I think Microsoft fixed that.

PatrickMay16
August 9th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Have you contacted Microsoft support? I know you might think they'll be useless... but sometimes you can get lucky with support lines.

@trophy
August 9th, 2007, 06:58 PM
But, I can't validate Ubuntu, and I can't validate an OS I'm not using, so is there any way to show that I am using a legit Windows license?

I don't think what I'm trying to do is piracy, since I do have a legit Windows OS, I just want to DL the updates on a different OS.:(

I had a similar problem, and it's why I now use Ubuntu nearly full time. I had 5 legit XP Pro keys, none of which would activate. When I called to activate by telephone, they gave me a sixth key, which also wouldn't activate. They then told me that I'd have to "call back on Monday to purchase a new key."

I hung up, and installed Ubuntu Edgy and a cracked XP with the activation disabled, which is what I've been using ever since. I figure if they want to make an issue of it, I can delete the offending XP and go full time Ubuntu as well as ask them why none of my legit keys would activate. I only use XP for Photoshop anyway.

Words cannot express how much I hate the way Microsoft treats even their legit customers...

koenn
August 9th, 2007, 07:33 PM
(I'm talking about the thing on the MS website that validates your copy of Windows before you can download, not the Notifications program).

Ever since I started using Ubuntu on my main PC, I can no longer download things like the DirectX SDK, which I need. I do have a VM, but I have no intention of connecting that to the net, if I did that I'd need to install antivirus and antispyware etc, which makes the VM slow and takes up diskspace, not to mention the inconvenience.
(
Why not just get the VM online ? If all you're going to do is go to MS websites and download some tools - why would you need antivirus and spyware etc ? You're already planning to install and run the stuff you download.

smoker
August 9th, 2007, 08:35 PM
can't you get a friend with 'that os' to download what you need for you?

whatever you do don't download any 'pre-activated iso's of windows, cause they're illegal. i would never think of doing that myself!

:-) :-) :-)

@trophy
August 9th, 2007, 10:28 PM
can't you get a friend with 'that os' to download what you need for you?

whatever you do don't download any 'pre-activated iso's of windows, cause they're illegal. i would never think of doing that myself!

:-) :-) :-)

LOL you forgot your sarcasm tags.

smoker
August 9th, 2007, 10:32 PM
LOL you forgot your sarcasm tags.

:lolflag:

MrHorus
August 9th, 2007, 11:09 PM
OK, WGA should not be an issue for me, I have more than one genuine Windows license, so you would think that WGA would pose no problem to me.

What do you understand by it "being an issue" for you?

Ever since I started using Ubuntu on my main PC, I can no longer download things like the DirectX SDK, which I need.

That's right, because it looks for an activated Windows installation.

I do have a VM, but I have no intention of connecting that to the net, if I did that I'd need to install antivirus and antispyware etc

No you don't - just run it through a NAT - Google for a good guide on NAT and masquerading with iptables as that's what I use to patch any new Windows installations rather than plugging them directly into the Internet.

I know for a fact that WGA will work in a VMware VM as i've used it personally.

But, I can't validate Ubuntu, and I can't validate an OS I'm not using, so is there any way to show that I am using a legit Windows license?

See above.

It's not a piracy issue, it's about wether what you are trying to do is a breach of your licence with Microsoft.

IANAL but I think you are in the clear using a VM so long as you haven't got any other active installations with the came cd-key.