PDA

View Full Version : Gnome Logo - Offensive To Podophobiacs?

Ek0nomik
August 9th, 2007, 05:05 PM
While I do not suffer from Podophobia (http://www.phobia-fear-release.com/fear-of-feet-2.html), I do find the Gnome logo a bit odd. Why use a foot for the logo of a desktop environment? It just seems a bit silly to me. :)

vinodis
August 9th, 2007, 05:08 PM
my foot. ;)
that was gnome not ubuntu.

stimpack
August 9th, 2007, 05:14 PM
rofl.

Apparently GNOME picked a logo they liked without any relevance, I always thought it was an Ogre foot and a joke for a project called Gnome, I play too many rpgs :).

Ek0nomik
August 9th, 2007, 05:14 PM
my foot. ;)
that was gnome not ubuntu.

I know it was Gnome. I just find it odd that someone selected the foot to be the logo of the environment. I suppose may the person could have been on the opposite end of Podophobia and had a foot fetish...

vexorian
August 9th, 2007, 05:15 PM
an friging apple for logo?

vambo
August 9th, 2007, 05:22 PM
While I do not suffer from Podophobia (http://www.phobia-fear-release.com/fear-of-feet-2.html), I do find the Gnome logo a bit odd. Why use a foot for the logo of a desktop environment? It just seems a bit silly to me. :)

Mods .. I think you should put your foot down on this one ;)

Ek0nomik
August 9th, 2007, 05:26 PM

This thread just tickles your little toes in the wrong way, huh? :)

rofl.

Apparently GNOME picked a logo they liked without any relevance, I always thought it was an Ogre foot and a joke for a project called Gnome, I play too many rpgs :).

Upgrade your foot armor for crying out loud.

kirios
August 9th, 2007, 05:31 PM
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/ut1_report/exploring_desktop.html

#GNOME Usability Study Report :: Exploring the GNOME Desktop
July 2001

Because they had never seen GNOME before and were unfamiliar with the GNOME logo, several participants did not know what the foot icon was.

Guesses included:

"The footprint of the computer?...for traveling or search and replace? Its local, not global. I don't know why its there." (P4)
"Where I've been before? A history?" (P2)
"A "footprint" of where I've been or a list of tasks I've performed most recently." (P8) "I don't know. I have no idea what the foot means." (P6, P9, P10)

lepz
August 9th, 2007, 05:33 PM

Someone needs a "kick up the jacksy" ;)

Ek0nomik
August 9th, 2007, 05:44 PM
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/ut1_report/exploring_desktop.html

Footprint of a computer? What a terrible guess! ;)

LaRoza
August 9th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Any image, once associated with another object or idea will make sense in time.

Ek0nomik
August 9th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Any image, once associated with another object or idea will make sense in time.

While it sounds sophisticated, I don't think this holds up to truth whatsoever.

LaRoza
August 9th, 2007, 06:19 PM
While it sounds sophisticated, I don't think this holds up to truth whatsoever.

Yes it does, company logos are often understood without thought, although the image or design itself means little/nothing. If you want truth, I can not give that, but people can get used to almost anything.

@trophy
August 9th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Yes it does, company logos are often understood without thought, although the image or design itself means little/nothing. If you want truth, I can not give that, but people can get used to almost anything.

I think what he meant was that the "any" part of "any image will start to make sense" is bs.

For example, if UNICEF's logo was a nazi swastika (not the Indian kind), people would probably never get used to it.

Ek0nomik
August 9th, 2007, 06:54 PM

I agree that people can get used to most anything, but most logos designed are meant to be understood without any thought. Most, not all obviously, involve a vector design with the name of the company overlaying it. Or perhaps simply the first letter of the company name, etc.

This however, is a very distinctive icon: a foot. But, I will agree that this isn't the first time an icon has been used without a common understanding.

mike102282
August 9th, 2007, 06:55 PM
what is the foot supose to mean?

popch
August 9th, 2007, 07:05 PM

While you may be right, I can not recall from off the top of my head any company logos which are understood without thought. Even the other kind which is understandable with thought escapes me at the moment.

I think that quite the reverse is true: a company logo initially is utterly and completely void of any meaning whatsoever. Only in the context of the logo, i.e. by showing the logo on your mastheads, on a pylon in front of your buildings or on your fleet of delivery vans are you 'training' the public to think of you when they see the hitherto void symbol.

You can observe a somewhat related effect in the movies. Some trivial action or event does - at first - not carry any meaning at all. Repeat it a number of times and it becomes a - gag. Slapstick. Hi Ho.

fuscia
August 9th, 2007, 07:17 PM
i hate it. hate all the cutesy-pie penguin junk, too.

popch
August 9th, 2007, 07:19 PM

So do I.

Er - do you have another hairdo or something?

Ek0nomik
August 9th, 2007, 08:49 PM

It's nothing to get upset about. :)

KiwiNZ
August 9th, 2007, 09:07 PM

There there Tuxy its alright
We wont let the bad man get you :)

Gadren
August 9th, 2007, 09:08 PM
O_o No one's mentioned that the gnome foot looks like a "G"...

KiwiNZ
August 9th, 2007, 09:08 PM
I think we need to tip toe through this subject to get to the heart and Sole of it
We dont want people to get toey over it and end up getting nailed

Just stay footloose

Ek0nomik
August 9th, 2007, 10:05 PM

I'm not seeing it.

I think we need to tip toe through this subject to get to the heart and Sole of it
We dont want people to get toey over it and end up getting nailed

Just stay footloose

How much sleep did you sacrafice to make this posting? ;)

KiwiNZ
August 9th, 2007, 10:09 PM
I'm not seeing it.

How much sleep did you sacrafice to make this posting? ;)

None I was hot footing it here and it jumped into my head
I thought it would be shoe in to get a response.

Maybe I should be more straight Laced:p

Gadren
August 9th, 2007, 10:10 PM
I'm not seeing it.
The part of the foot that's not the toes looks like a capital letter G. That's why the foot has that weird tail at the back.

j.miller565
August 9th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Isn't GNOME in the science world stuff to do with genes? Why don't they make it look like a chromosome LOL

plb
August 9th, 2007, 10:58 PM
The foot years ago was huge lol...google gnome 1.x screenshots

misfitpierce
August 9th, 2007, 11:00 PM
I like the logo

ComplexNumber
August 9th, 2007, 11:13 PM
thank god someone has mentioned it ;). there was actually a competition for the logo, and that one won.

KiwiNZ
August 9th, 2007, 11:21 PM
I am looking at my foot I dont see a G

Where is it , I want one

smoker
August 9th, 2007, 11:29 PM
thank god someone has mentioned it ;). there was actually a competition for the logo, and that one won.

probably a run away success:) bet the runners up didn't have a leg to stand on:lolflag:

Ek0nomik
August 10th, 2007, 12:19 AM
This thread stepped on a can of puns.

smoker
August 10th, 2007, 01:13 AM
This thread stepped on a can of puns.

footloose and fancyfree :lolflag:

KiwiNZ
August 10th, 2007, 01:28 AM
people are just staying instep

GStubbs43
August 10th, 2007, 01:35 AM
I think KiwiNZ thinks he's funnier than he really is. :-D

pluviosity
August 10th, 2007, 01:44 AM
Couldn't you say the same thing for just about any other object in a logo? I mean, there must be people who are afraid of apples or windows (broken or otherwise), just to name a few, for whatever reason. Can't please everyone.

KiwiNZ
August 10th, 2007, 01:57 AM
I think KiwiNZ thinks he's funnier than he really is. :-D

Virtual boots can be used to do a virtual Kick:twisted:

LookTJ
August 10th, 2007, 02:00 AM
What if the developers thought that was a gnome's foot? :P

WishingWell
August 10th, 2007, 02:26 AM
Isn't GNOME in the science world stuff to do with genes? Why don't they make it look like a chromosome LOL

That is genome, not gnome, seriously man, do you know what a chromosome looks like under the scope? I'd like to see anyone use that because it would be amazing artwork to even get close.

A gnome is a fantasy figure, lives in your cupboards, eats your leftovers.

Ek0nomik
August 10th, 2007, 02:44 AM
Couldn't you say the same thing for just about any other object in a logo? I mean, there must be people who are afraid of apples or windows (broken or otherwise), just to name a few, for whatever reason. Can't please everyone.

It was a joke. :)

matchstich
August 10th, 2007, 03:05 AM
A gnome is a fantasy figure, lives in your cupboards, eats your leftovers.[/QUOTE]

really? i thought gnomes were those creatures that lived in gardens.

every home center sells them.

fuscia
August 10th, 2007, 04:14 AM
There there Tuxy its alright
We wont let the bad man get you :)

just keep the tux poop off my zoysia.

DeadSuperHero
August 10th, 2007, 04:34 AM
Well, what about people with foot fetish? They feel supported by this. I say, leave the foot! We need to empower this group of people!

Ek0nomik
August 10th, 2007, 06:04 AM
Well, what about people with foot fetish? They feel supported by this. I say, leave the foot! We need to empower this group of people!

So, you have a foot fetish, eh? ;)

cmat
August 10th, 2007, 06:11 AM
I little too childish looking especially for a work PC, but our kernel has a penguin as it's mascot. Web browser has a combusted fox, mail client is named after an old TV show, licensing is attached to some grazing african animal, and a programming language named after monty python. Something about animals and nostalgia that drives the naming of gnu\linux's components and software. Something I will never understand.

Ek0nomik
August 10th, 2007, 06:37 AM
We all love cuddly animals I suppose.

PrimoTurbo
August 10th, 2007, 06:41 AM
A gnome is a fantasy figure, lives in your cupboards, eats your leftovers.

really? i thought gnomes were those creatures that lived in gardens.

every home center sells them.[/QUOTE]

It depends which country's mythology it is. In the west we have garden gnomes and European countries they are supposed to be in the woods or hide around dark places in your house.

Nunu
August 10th, 2007, 07:02 AM
Speaking of weird logos, dose any one know how the penguin got the job of Linux icon?

As for the foot thing... maybe the foot had a special meaning for the guy who did the concept. Maybe he didn't have a foot and the gnome interface was his way of getting around. he could have been a war veteran who lost is foot in Vietnam after stepping on a savage foot removing land mine...

Or maybe he had a wicked case of athletes foot when developing it. :)

Kingsley
August 10th, 2007, 07:06 AM
At first, I read the title as "Offensive to Pedophiles?" WTF is wrong with me? LOL!

Nunu
August 10th, 2007, 07:08 AM
At first, I read the title as "Offensive to Pedophiles?" WTF is wrong with me? LOL!ROFLMFAO

:lolflag:

So did I

kirios
August 10th, 2007, 07:11 AM
Speaking of weird logos, dose any one know how the penguin got the job of Linux icon?
Someone said it was because Linus was bitten by a penguin at the zoo (?!)

Lucifiel
August 10th, 2007, 07:18 AM
Someone said it was because Linus was bitten by a penguin at the zoo (?!)

Or he could be penguin obsessive. :D

Nunu
August 10th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Ok we have Podophibiacs, Pedophiles. What would be the right word for someone obsessed with penguins

Penguiniliacs???
Penguinphiles???

popch
August 10th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Ok we have Podophibiacs, Pedophiles. What would be the right word for someone obsessed with penguins

Penguiniliacs???
Penguinphiles???

Spheniscina-mane or -phile

Ek0nomik
August 10th, 2007, 01:39 PM

As for the foot thing... maybe the foot had a special meaning for the guy who did the concept. Maybe he didn't have a foot and the gnome interface was his way of getting around. he could have been a war veteran who lost is foot in Vietnam after stepping on a savage foot removing land mine...

Or maybe he had a wicked case of athletes foot when developing it. :)

Linus actually suggested the penguin. You can see part of the discussion he took part in on a mailing list I believe it is.

http://www.sjbaker.org/tux/

LaRoza
August 10th, 2007, 07:34 PM
I think what he meant was that the "any" part of "any image will start to make sense" is bs.

For example, if UNICEF's logo was a nazi swastika (not the Indian kind), people would probably never get used to it.

I meant any "otherwise meaningless", something that doesn't already represent something. You see, you associate the swastika with something negative, although the symbol itself isn't.