PDA

View Full Version : Your "dream" Ubuntu custom .iso

jc87
August 9th, 2007, 04:53 PM
I´m thinking about making a special customized by me Ubuntu Feisty .iso using Reconstructor (http://sourceforge.net/projects/reconstructor)

The goal of this .iso is to save me work by containing a bunch of costumizations/software that i would add anyway after install it in a friend/relative pc.

Here are some of the costumizations i´m planning to make and i would like some suggestions (it will be burned in DVD, so space is not an issue) :

Applications

Codecs - Install gxine , with extra codecs and ability to play dvd´s.

Games - Billard-Gl , Briquolo, Emilia Pinball, Frozen Bubble, Neverball, supertux

Internet - Deluge, xchat

Office - Abiword, Gnumeric, Gnucash

Others - sysinfo, buoh

Eyecandy

Artwork - Thinking about changing the brownish to something more beautifull (i dont have anything against it, i just want it to be more 1337:popcorn:) , looking for suggestions about theme, icons, splash screen and gdm-theme.

Gdesklets

Repositories

Main, restricted, Universe, Multiverse

steevols
August 9th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Sounds like a good idea, I was thinking of doing almost EXACTLY that... are you planning on posting when it's done?

igknighted
August 9th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Upgrade some packages as well maybe... find a repo that keeps up to date pidgin, for example and use that instead of Gaim.

EDIT: And upgrade the kernel to 2.6.22 if possible...

vexorian
August 9th, 2007, 05:08 PM
hmmm
- The live-cd greets you with a question What theme do you like? And you can choose between human, blubuntu and a gray scale (graphite?) theme.

- Then it comes with a lot more of tango icons, specially emblems, the default emblems are terrible, specially the human ones that all look the same...

- hmmm, that's all.

z0mbie
August 9th, 2007, 05:14 PM
But, but... doesn't that take the fun out of it?

DeadSuperHero
August 9th, 2007, 05:29 PM
No, it puts the easy into it for new users.

jc87
August 9th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Sounds like a good idea, I was thinking of doing almost EXACTLY that... are you planning on posting when it's done?

Unfortunally no, my bandwith upload is a lousy 128kbps, it would be hell to try distributing online, if i had someone who could host it online for me it would be another story.

The plan is to restrict myself to local distribution (friends, relatives and anyone in my town who ask´s for a copy), so for now dont count with it.

Also there are already a bunch of costumized versions online, you can always try one of them:KS

EDIT: And upgrade the kernel to 2.6.22 if possible..

Possible would be, but i want to do small changes that wont mess with the system, upgrading the kernel would probably break compatibility with binary drivers in the restricted feisty repo (among other things).

In my own Ubuntu box i used custom kernels several times before, but there is always a difference between risking breaking our own things and breaking the ones of others:)

LaRoza
August 9th, 2007, 06:01 PM
* Have everything I need for programming, g++, gcc, g77, gfortran, python, wxPython, Tkinter, all headers, perl, nasm...

* Have a apache server set up for testing only, PHP + MySQL

* Have Gnometris and Frozen Bubble

vexorian
August 9th, 2007, 06:29 PM
* Have everything I need for programming, g++, gcc, g77, gfortran, python, wxPython, Tkinter, all headers, perl, nasm...

* Have a apache server set up for testing only, PHP + MySQL

* Have Gnometris and Frozen Bubble
actually that would be cool to have a Devbuntu, it could also include packaging tools and instructions on how to become a prospect developer ...

MrObvious
August 9th, 2007, 09:16 PM
Vim. I missed it when I installed Ubuntu and installed that first.

tbroderick
August 9th, 2007, 09:45 PM
Vim. I missed it when I installed Ubuntu and installed that first.

I thought vim-tiny was installed by default?

MrObvious
August 9th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Yes but the regular VIM I got used to from Mandriva wasn't.