PDA

View Full Version : Favorite and/or best Gaming Console

toupeiro
August 9th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Just curious what people like and why. :) I saw an older poll, but I wanted to throw a few more options out there.

Ubunted
August 9th, 2007, 04:41 PM
I have owned an NES and N64, currently an Xbox and a Wii. The N64 was good times but even though I've only had it for a month or so and only three games total the Wii is by far my favorite, followed by my DS Lite.

RChickenMan
August 9th, 2007, 04:41 PM
I chose the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. The reason for this is a combination of enjoyability of game play, durability of hardware, and graphics and sound. The SNES has the same style of game play as the NES. This is undoubtedly superior to the 3D style employed by such exciting contemporary video games as "Shoot the Kids at School 3D" and "Angry Angry Puppy Killer." However, the reason I put the SNES above the NES is due to more durable hardware, and improved graphics and sound. My SNES starts up immediately whenever I pop in a new cartridge. There is no need to fight with the console for a half hour to begin using it, as is the case with the NES. Also, like I said, improved graphics and sound can't hurt when they don't interfere with the style of game play.

a12ctic
August 9th, 2007, 04:57 PM
As terrible as this sounds, I absolutely love my xbox, it was really a modders dream when it released. XBMC is nothing short of amazing, and I just love starting up DSL and doing some internet browsing from the couch. Not to mention my n64 emulator.

stimpack
August 9th, 2007, 05:01 PM
I have been out of the console loop for awhile so while these were my favourites, there is no way to call them the best :o

1. Sega Saturn, favourite controller and Virtua Fighter woohoo.
2. Playstation original, naff controller, but Gran Turismo!

b0ng0
August 9th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Well i'd say i've spent most time playing PC games and I would probably list some of the best games i've played on the PC (i.e. Morrowind, Grim Fandango). However, when push comes to shove I'm a Nintendo man. Super Mario Sunshine is the happiest game ever concieved:KS

jgrabham
August 9th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Given up on gaming now, but have had a GBA and a PS2, both of which i loved (still got them both, working, but unused) although sometimes the PS2 comes out when I feel like making Colby Armstrong kick the crap out of people in nhl 2k7 :]

brennydoogles
August 9th, 2007, 05:10 PM
I love my wii, and the only thing that could make it any better would be a way to plug in an N64 controller to play the N64 Emulator with. I love that it natively plays gamecube games, and the opera web browser for it exceeded my expectations. I also have to say that the wireless G card in it blows the wireless card from my laptop out of the water when it comes to range (Perfect signal in the basement 3 stories below my router, my laptop doesn't even see the network there). Plus the fact that the wiimote is a bluetooth device offers some amazing possibilities for the future when it comes to use with my PC. The wii changed my life forever :OP

hessiess
August 9th, 2007, 05:27 PM
sega saturn, ye its old, but the games are a hell of alot more fun than anything new

dan171717
August 19th, 2007, 07:48 PM
i chose the snes i hav had one since i was 8 and i still love it the games are good like yosi's island and the remake of mario bros 3 but then again i am a nintendo fan. i hate the ps2 and ps3 controler and i am making a new poll for controlers (i will post a link when it is finished) if i couldnt pick snes i would pick gamecube

consoles that i own (oly becase iike em)

snes
n64
gc
ps1
pc

console i want

dreamcast
gizmondo or gp2x
nes (used to have one but it broke :( )

Fonon
August 19th, 2007, 07:52 PM
My favorite is teh PSP, because the PSP is awesome when it is hacked. You have all of the different emulators, not to mention the .iso and the PS1 games you can play on it.

wolfen69
August 19th, 2007, 07:56 PM
PSP! it's almost as good as laptop to me. games, music, photos, videos, surfing. hard to beat for a handheld.

dan171717
August 19th, 2007, 08:01 PM
PSP! it's almost as good as laptop to me. games, music, photos, videos, surfing. hard to beat for a handheld. i no of 2 handhelds better than psp the gizmondo and the gp2x (runs linux)

oh and heres the lnk to the controler debate
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=529663

Kitsun
August 19th, 2007, 08:01 PM
The PSP does have a great feature set and homebrew scene, but I found it very lacking when it comes down to native games.

Don't get me wrong, its a great console, but saying its the best handheld gaming console in its generation is false, until some great (original) games get released on it at least.

Nintendo definitely have the highest chance of winning this generation.

arsenic23
August 19th, 2007, 08:15 PM
This is my currant opinion:
NES > DS > SNES > PS1 > PC > Wii > PS2 > nonmentioned consoles > N64 > GameGear

Why is the 64 so low?
Mario, waverace, and starfox were all fun - nothing else came out for this thing that I liked. Once I mastered those games there was nothing left for me.

Why is the NES number 1?
I still play it. I own 3, and even though I had to break 2 of them apart and referbish them, all 3 still work like new. Burgertime, Bobble Bubble, Joust, all the Mario games, and many many more titles are all among my favorites. It's quite likely that the NES still has more games I enjoy playing then any other console.

Why is the Wii so low?
I really hope they don't make 100% of their games for the Wii-mote. When I first saw it I thought to myself, "Oh my! That thing is going to be great for RTS games and the like." But I don't see anything like that coming out. I don't have anything against the Wii-mote, though, it's a very nice idea. My biggest beef though, has nothing to do with Nintendo - it's all Sega's fault that I can't play Monkeyball while lying down. I was able to master Wii-Sports while on my back but Monkeyball seems impossible to play unless your sitting up straight.

Why is the PS2 below the PS1?
I'd more then likely have a better opinion of the PS2 if I hadn't bought one when they first came out. I bought it and used it pretty much as a DVD player for a year, as no game I wanted to play had come out yet, and then when the game I was looking forward too arrived it no longer worked. I was just outside my warrenty and pissed as all. After all, all of my Nintendo consoles still worked, what was wrong with Sony. Recently I was able to rebuild my PS2, replacing a few parts of the optical drive and doing a few other odd mods while I had the thing apart. Works perfect now, but I'll never really like the stupid thing that just didn't work while it was popular.

Everything else should be self explanitory.

Ultra Magnus
August 19th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Nothing beats the dragon 32 really, Have you ever tried copying a game by playing it over a phone and recording it on the other side? Someone once told me it worked but I could never manage to do it, oh well...

jerrymas
February 11th, 2013, 09:17 PM
I'm all about gaming consoles, about 6 months ago I owned a Wii, Playstation, and Xbox, I just think they have different styles and all have different advantages. I found this sweet website where I purchased all my gaming consoles and it's got great deals, I knew everyone in this conversation was a gamer so I thought I'd share.

http://www.squidoo.com/best-gaming-system-console-for-video-games

TheFu
February 11th, 2013, 09:59 PM
I must have wasted thousands of hours on the Atari 2600. It was enough fun that I acquired a used one with about 100 cartridges when I got a job after college and wasted even more time. It was great at parties, since everyone in my peer group played the same games as kids.

Around 2000, I got a PS2, but never had time to get through more than SOCOM 1, 2, 3 and Ace Combat 3, 4, 5 on it. Yes, I earned an "O2." Need to connect it back up to a TV for a Friday evening game session one of these months. Need to play some of those highly rated games that were purchased, but never mastered.

Not a console, but I ran a Counter-Strike server for a few years. Nothing like knifing work friends in the back and laughing about it the following day. The audio part and talking smack was the most fun.

Gaming just isn't all that important any more. I see the fun of it and have many friends (also about my age) who game almost constantly. One of them works at his own boutique company on contracts for gaming companies optimizing their code for x86 PC releases for a living. Hardcore ASM and C coding are his main tools.

War Tribe
February 12th, 2013, 12:33 AM
i have a PS3. is it my favorite? yes and no. i love the fact that it has free online multiplayer access, blu-ray. but i love the xbox controller better and i like the fact that all xbox 360 games come with 1080p support. the PS3 games have the ability to have more content and such but it could really stand to have all games have 1080p support. i've been itching to get back into PC/laptop gaming because you can have way better graphics and content due to larger capacities and more powerful hardware. and i've had all the consoles in the poll at one time or another.

Jakin
February 12th, 2013, 02:25 AM
I love Gamecube, but i also love Wii; being that Wii has awesome tiles, can also handle Gamecube and VC, im going to have to vote Wii :)