PDA

View Full Version : xterm vs gnome-terminal - which do you prefer?

dmjones500
August 9th, 2007, 11:13 AM
To those of you using xterm and/or gnome-terminal: which one do you prefer and why? Is one faster than the other, or "better" in some way?

I use xterm, and i'm not really sure why!

kerry_s
August 9th, 2007, 11:18 AM
xterm, but if i'm using debian unstable, i like roxterm.

You can't go wrong with xterm it's in every linux distro, you'll always know how to use it.

mcduck
August 9th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Gnome-terminal. It just looks best. And while it's a bit slower than some lighter terminals, in the end the difference is so small it doesn't really matter.

I just can't see any reason to use any other terminal. :D

bluenova
August 9th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Konsole for me.

miggols99
August 9th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Yakuake. Just like Konsole but pops up from the top :)

eentonig
August 9th, 2007, 12:57 PM
tilda

and gnome-terminal

davtaine
August 9th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Yakuake

insane_alien
August 9th, 2007, 01:18 PM
i've used both gnome-terminal and xterm. the only difference i can see is that you can scroll up in gnome terminal. this is useful sometimes. i prefer gnome-terminal.

visions97
August 9th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Yakuake and Konsole. Konsole in KDE4 is really awesome, not only featureful but they organize the options menu sanely at last.

jseiser
August 9th, 2007, 02:06 PM
urxvt, its lighter and supports and can go transparent.

AlexenderReez
August 9th, 2007, 02:10 PM
of course gnome terminal..because we can customize the profile.....

fuscia
August 9th, 2007, 02:11 PM
i like xfce4-terminal the best.

EndPerform
August 9th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Yakuake here as well. It stays out of the way until I need it, and it's nice and configurable. Second place for me would be rxvt-unicode. Small, lightweight and it gets the job done

notwen
August 9th, 2007, 02:30 PM
i use gnome terminal, but if i know i'm in for alot of CLI i'll use xfce-term, gotta love the tabs. =]

3rdalbum
August 9th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Test:

1. Drag a file to xterm.

2. Drag a file to gnome-terminal.

Guess which one is better?

tbroderick
August 9th, 2007, 02:48 PM
urxvt

juxtaposed
August 9th, 2007, 03:18 PM
XTerm doesn't have copy and paste, gnome-terminal is too slow.

I use xfce4-terminal.

masinick
September 29th, 2008, 07:01 PM
I've probably used 'em all at one time or another. xterm was, of course, the first one that I used. After that, several proprietary xterm spin offs were used (these were in the days of UNIX workstations before I got into using Linux software).

I've used rxvt, which I consider an improvement over xterm. I've used multi-gnome-terminal in the past, which I liked for its easy interaction with tabs. Gnome-terminal seems to now have those features, and has had them for some time. I have used it, both in older and newer versions.

I use the XFCE and KDE desktops the most. As a result, I probably use xfce4-terminal and Konsole the most. However, over the past several months I have become fond of Roxterm. I like the accelerator defaults for Cut, Copy, and Paste in Roxterm better than those in the KDE 3 implementation of Konsole, though the KDE 4 implementation seems to pick up the same defaults that I am interested in as those in Roxterm.

Toss up for me between the XFCE Terminal and Roxterm. I can use 'em all, but I tend to prefer these two.

Polygon
September 29th, 2008, 08:02 PM
im running a 7 going on 8 year old computer here, and i use gnome-terminal with transparancy effects just fine and its not slow in the slightest. so unless your running like a 400 mhz computer....

i don't really care about the terminal, as long as it works

joninkrakow
September 29th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Well, let's see.... I started off using xterm on the MacOS (under X11), but eventually moved to Konsole when I got KDE running under X11, which is kind of my favorite (like the tabs and profiles), but right now, I'm in Gnome, so use gnome-terminal. I can't say I prefer it, but it's what's there in the menu, and what comes up when I type "term" in GnomeDo.... I guess I'm agnostic.

-Jon

FuturePilot
September 29th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Gnome-terminal. It's got a ton of options and I like options :D

conundrumx
September 29th, 2008, 10:23 PM
gnome-terminal. Have used aterm, mrxvt and xterm.

OutOfReach
September 29th, 2008, 10:49 PM
xterm. Because, I realize that gnome-terminal is a little too bloated for my liking.

crimesaucer
September 29th, 2008, 10:53 PM

+1 for xfce4 Terminal (voted other)

RiceMonster
September 29th, 2008, 11:06 PM
I also like xfce-terminal.

olejorgen
September 29th, 2008, 11:12 PM
urxvt

doorknob60
September 30th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Konsole, it's like as good as gnome-terminal but it's KDE, so yeah :-P I use xterm on my craptop though (I have Debian Lenny with Xfce on it)

Le-Froid
September 30th, 2008, 12:52 AM
I prefer Konsole

cardinals_fan
September 30th, 2008, 01:07 AM
+1 for xfce4 terminal (voted other)
+2

macogw
September 30th, 2008, 01:12 AM
Terminator (http://launchpad.net/terminator)!

bfc
September 30th, 2008, 01:14 AM
Just starting using RoxTerm, really liking it a lot

fwojciec
September 30th, 2008, 01:35 AM
urxvt

snova
September 30th, 2008, 01:47 AM
I love Yakuake. I probably use it more than any other application, without even realizing it.

Thus, my vote is for Konsole. It's been vastly improved menu-wise in KDE 4, though I don't use it yet.

bexamous
February 28th, 2009, 06:56 AM
konsole from kde4 is the best.

I *HATE* gnome-terminal. It is ungodly slow for some reason. Fullscreen (1920x1200) it is the slowest thing ever at scrolling. Like it totally distracts me from whatever I'm doing.

This is bugging me so much I just came on forum to see if other people complain about this.

Super scientific test:

time cat longfile ... about like 19000 lines.

gnome-terminal = 2m51.628s
xterm = 0m10.783s
konsole = 0m1.609s
urxvt = 0m1.587s

Seriously what looks wrong here? gnome-terminal is a piece of poo.

Naiki Muliaina
February 28th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Another for XFCE4-Terminal ^^

Scruffynerf
February 28th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Voted Other

Terminator. Allows split screening on the fly

billgoldberg
February 28th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Konsole in kde4 is really good.

Xterm, well it's good, but not special.

Gnome terminal I use the most and is good.

I'll test some of the terminals some mentioned here later.

.Maleficus.
February 28th, 2009, 01:43 PM
xfce4-terminal for me. Tabs, transparency, color picker. what more could you need?

itreius
February 28th, 2009, 02:02 PM
xterm :P

jomiolto
February 28th, 2009, 03:50 PM
urxvt. It is light, customizable and blindingly fast when compared to gnome-terminal.

hessiess
February 28th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Currently im using the XFCE terminal in DWM.

Giant Speck
February 28th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Good ol' gnome-terminal here.

odda
February 28th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Yakuake and sometimes konsole

InfinityCircuit
February 28th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Ridiculous question. urxvt is better than xterm in every way.

First thing on every new system is to make urxvtcd the default (choosing regular urxvt is just ignorant)

will1911a1
February 28th, 2009, 05:28 PM
urxvt.

RiceMonster
February 28th, 2009, 05:39 PM
xfce-terminal

bgs100
March 4th, 2009, 04:04 AM
gnome-terminal.
Upon reading this, I tested roxterm.
I liked it, but it was pretty much the same as gnome-terminal
I did speed tests with time cat [large file], and they were always very close. So, its stll gnome-terminal for me right now. Might try urxvt

avaralom
March 4th, 2009, 04:43 AM
I use both on a regular basis, but I like xterm better. Mainly for the default font, really. gnome-terminal doesn't look as nice in that regards.

Maybe I'll try some of the other options here at some point.

linuxuser21
March 4th, 2009, 05:04 AM
I prefer the Gnome-terminal; however, I use Xterm occasionally.

Yashiro
March 4th, 2009, 05:15 AM
The problem is not that other terminals are 'worse' it's just they're more of a pain to configure. Most people just use the default term of their desktop environment.

Unfortunately gnome-term is slow if you use terminals alot. Gnome-terminals slowdown must be related to the default font and anti-aliasing support?

dbbolton
March 4th, 2009, 05:27 AM
I use xfce4-terminal, even when I'm not using Xfce. I just can't live without copy and paste :lol:

Warpnow
March 4th, 2009, 06:38 AM

Me, too.

adamlau
March 4th, 2009, 06:38 AM
urxvtc/urxvtd here. GNOME Terminal? C'mon now...

Eisenwinter
March 4th, 2009, 08:05 AM
I normally use Terminator for everything (IRC, commands for output, perl scripts, etc), since it also has mouse support (copy-paste, etc), and I use xterm for minor things which don't require a mouse.

gypsumwolf
September 8th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Mostly i use Terminator. It is has tabs and ability to split the window. Although it is slower then xterm for me.

shiva.n
September 8th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Tilda and Terminator. Most of my things get done in Tilda. Only use Terminator if I have to scroll back to read multi page output, or for programming tasks.

MethinX
September 9th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Guake Terminal, opens via tilde and supports multiple tabing, Transparency and has scroll effect , can also change tab locations

also Terminator Terminal, can split terminals side by side or top and bottom so you can run in one window, makes better use if trying to debug multiple programs or even to copy and paste between terminals

Bachstelze
September 9th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Konsole, but gnome-terminal if I'm not running KDE.

chessnerd
September 9th, 2009, 06:40 PM
I like the gnome-terminal better because it has a white background and the fact that the text is larger (both of which makes it easier on the eyes). However, I considered using xterm because it opens instantly as opposed to a few seconds for gnome-terminal and it was my default when using Xubuntu (as opposed to the xfce terminal).

orlox
September 9th, 2009, 07:34 PM
I prefer terminator. Splitting the windows is usually much more useful than tabbing it.

ve4cib
September 10th, 2009, 02:32 AM
Generally I use Gnome-Terminal (since I use Gnome most of the time and I'm generally too lazy to change the default terminal unless I've got a good reason to). My only complaint about Gnome-Terminal is that it can take a long time to start (sometimes upwards of 20 seconds). Usually it's much faster than that though. And it supports theming, and all the usual Gnome-tie-ins so that it looks pretty and at home on my desktop.

Whenever I'm using a low-memory system (i.e. a thumbdrive-installation, or netbook with minimal storage) aterm is my terminal of choice. It's heavier than xterm, but it has a scrollbar and responds to wheel-mice better in my experience. It also looks pretty sharp when used with Fluxbox and the standard Nyz skin.

Finally my third-choice is the good old ctrl-alt-Fx tty. Sometimes you just need to go back to basics... (Like when you've botched reconfiguring Xorg and need to fix it. Oh, the number of times tty1 + nano + w3m have saved me from myself and Nvidia...)

starcannon
September 10th, 2009, 02:34 AM
gnome-terminal; I have more than enough horsepower to run it, so the speed issue is not an issue for me.

Mateo
September 10th, 2009, 02:40 AM
gnome-terminal, it has more features.

l-x-l
September 10th, 2009, 04:26 AM
Terminator!!!

Exodist
September 10th, 2009, 04:42 AM
To those of you using xterm and/or gnome-terminal: which one do you prefer and why? Is one faster than the other, or "better" in some way?

I use xterm, and i'm not really sure why!

Gnome Term.
Its simple, fast and easy to customize.

I used to use XTerm but that was back when I used Windowmaker.

Sublime Porte
September 10th, 2009, 06:20 AM
mrxvt

Everything [insert your favourite]-terminal can do, with a much smaller footprint.

Bodsda
September 10th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Gnome-terminal.
I just can't see any reason to use any other terminal. :D

Because the gnome-terminal can't be (afaik, I have tried many times) stripped of all its borders and decoration for use as a transparent terminal like the one I have attached

maximo1010
April 27th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Test:

1. Drag a file to xterm.

2. Drag a file to gnome-terminal.

Guess which one is better?

Dude, xterm is for stuff that automatically runs or such (VBox guest additions for example) and gnome-terminal for general terminal work. Overall, gnome-terminal is better, but xterm does this one thing that gnome-terminal can't do. And that's file recognition, meaning that gnome-terminal just leaves us with a dollar sign when you feed it some shell script. You know, both are good. Also, I use xterm for quick terminal work because it just easier to throw into an Alt+F2 dialog.

3Miro
April 27th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Run everyone, there is a Necromancer on the loose!:shock:

Softworn
June 8th, 2011, 03:06 AM
I only use gnome-terminal because of the copy & paste features; otherwise, I'd just use xterm. I prefer the lighter terminal, but copying and pasting saves a lot of time.

Dustin2128
June 8th, 2011, 03:43 AM
Hm, this thread has been pretty heavily necromanced... ah well. Since xterm is installed on every linux GUI system I've ever seen, I use it when more featured ones aren't available or when resource usage is a major problem.

zer010
June 9th, 2011, 06:48 AM
Wow, I didn't think this thread was still active! I just happened upon it through various links.

Anyways, I've usually used gnome-terminal, but ever since I switched to Xubuntu, the xfce-terminal has been pretty good. Almost like g-t, but little differences here and there.

jarfish
June 9th, 2011, 07:30 AM
Gnome but I never used xterm