PDA

View Full Version : Guitar as a Hobby?

Kymac
August 9th, 2007, 05:33 AM
After seeing some guitar threads here, I thought I'd ask in this forum about it. I am thinking about eventually learning how to play guitar. I've been thinking about getting a new hobby, and guitar just seems like a pretty cool/fun one. Now, that being said, I will probably be what is considered the 'scum' of the guitar world, in that I only want to learn the notes, and learn how to play a few songs, and maybe progressing from there, if I'm really interested in it.

Would yall reccomend me buying a guitar (I still have to do research on a good, cheap, and generic guitar) and starting this new hobby? or maybe search around for a different one?

Ansible
August 9th, 2007, 05:38 AM
Go for it. I'd recommend taking a lesson or two before you put a whole lot of time in, just so you won't be practicing bad habits. Learn the right techniques to start off with.

tcpip4lyfe
August 9th, 2007, 01:31 PM
A fender squire is a good cheap guitar. You can get a used one and have it intonated (tuned up) for about 100 bucks if you have a decent guitar shop around town. I say go for it.

jseiser
August 9th, 2007, 02:23 PM
any guitar shop will have cheap guitars. I would say learn an acoustic first because the strings are harder to hold down and will would/will help you transition to thrashing your electric all day and night because once you start learning, you wont want to stop. I learned by dicking around and just looking at tabs of my favorite songs. That really wasnt ideal for me, and i wished i would have learned in a more proper way. If i was to give you advice, it would be take piano lessons and understand the theory of the notes/scales. Once you have that concept learning the guitar is nothing more then mastering strumming and chord changes. You already have chord construction and improvisation down. But most people ( like myself) wait till they have to know that stuff to learn it. So grab a cheap guitar, search "guitar chords" and learn A maj/min, Bmaj/min, CMaj, Dmaj, E Maj/Min/ Fmaj/min/ G Maj. After that learn barre chord construction, once you know that the ones formed on the 6th string follow a E/Emin construction and ones on the 5th string follow the A/min construction you can literraly play any song.