PDA

View Full Version : C++ Virtual Functions and Function Overloading

SNYP40A1
August 9th, 2007, 05:01 AM
I am building a compiler and I am able to build parse trees. I have several types of objects used for storing information -- Types which record variable type, Variable Declarations which hold a Type and an Identifier, function declarations, etc. I am at the part where I am building my symbol table. I only need to put variable declarations in my symbol table so the only object that will make an entry is a variable declaration. All my objects are based on a node class. So I want to crawl over my parse tree and at this point, just simply print back out all the variable declarations. I want to assign a function in my node class which will most of the time do nothing, but then I want to over-ride it for certain classes to do something. How do I do this?

sonofusion82
August 9th, 2007, 06:06 AM
you would want to use virtual table.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_table

slavik
August 9th, 2007, 06:18 AM
ooh, interesting? any sample code for your new compiler yet? would be fun to play around with it? is there a name for the language or are you building your own C++ compiler of sorts?

aks44
August 9th, 2007, 01:58 PM
ooh, interesting? any sample code for your new compiler yet? would be fun to play around with it

+1 :KS