PDA

View Full Version : photo database

Arbiter
August 9th, 2007, 01:28 AM
hello all! :)

I work for a company that has asked me to create a photo database for parts that we sell that includes part number info that can be accessed from anywhere in the building...somewhere along the lines of a corporate intranet website and database. I'd like to use Ubuntu Linux to accomplish this. I'm kind of new to the whole server thing - what would I have to do to get this to work? My resources are limited and I have zero authority to purchase anything in terms Windows software, so Server 2003 or similar is out of the question.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

lluisanunez
August 9th, 2007, 01:36 AM
Try Gallery. It is intended to do exactly what you want:
http://gallery.menalto.com/
Very few requirements and good performance

Arbiter
August 9th, 2007, 01:56 AM
Gallery looks like it'll handle everything i need it to, but doesn't it rely on Apache webserver? I guess ultimately my question is how do I use apache to make this accessible?

lluisanunez
August 9th, 2007, 02:12 AM
Yes you should install Apache. It is not hard and there is plenty of guides about configuring and using Apache.
If you are still to get Ubuntu, maybe the best choice would be installing Edubuntu, it is better prepared for Apache, PhP and MySQL --these are the only requirements to set a web/intranet for your company.

Arbiter
August 9th, 2007, 02:28 AM
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction :) I think i've found all i need!

Thanks again!