PDA

View Full Version : Gnome - Libsexier!

Ultra Magnus
August 8th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Gnome has started developing something called libsexier - some cairo based gtk widgets - its in the very early stages but I think the concept is cool - I downloaded "fittsmenu", its not up to much at the moment but I like the concept.

This is the good thing about having different desktop envirnments - with KDE 4 coming out with plasma, the gnome developers probably decided it should try and introduce some new features or something - anyway heres where I read about it:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2007/08/07/new-widget-library-for-gnome-includes-transparent-radial-menu-and-other-bling

Polygon
August 8th, 2007, 07:30 PM
lol@ library name...

but that radial menu is kinda cool, ill check it out once its actually stable and usable!

vexorian
August 8th, 2007, 07:31 PM
This is the moment when I see the complaints about the "there should only be one XXXX in Linux" fall, competition is good for the users, it forces things to improve and get better.

FuturePilot
August 8th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Very interesting. It has a nice look to it.

So I guess it's better than libsexy?
Sorry, couldn't help it. :lolflag:

popch
August 8th, 2007, 07:36 PM
So I guess it's better than libsexy?

That's what they claim in the page referred to by the OP.

DeadSuperHero
August 8th, 2007, 08:36 PM
I'd love to have the radial widget replace my right-click menu. That'd be totally awesome.

WishingWell
August 8th, 2007, 08:42 PM
I think i'll wait for libsexiest before i try Gnome again.

PartisanEntity
August 8th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Looks nice, yet we GNOME users still cannot choose different wallpapers for different instances of x-server.

Just installed it, but it doesn't work right for me, I get a black square.

Edit: after turning on Beryl I got the radial menu to load but there are no icons on the buttons.

Polygon
August 8th, 2007, 10:22 PM

ahahahahaha

FuturePilot
August 8th, 2007, 10:29 PM

ROFL!!:lolflag:

AndrewGene
August 9th, 2007, 03:10 AM
I downloaded it and have it working to the point that it has icons and moves. But it does nothing and closes when I select something. Anyone know where in the code I can put a path for a program to be opened up when i click on a certain slice??

init1
August 9th, 2007, 03:41 AM
Radial menu? It's called a pie menu. And I don't really like them. I've tried the ff extentsion and library demo.

tehkain
August 9th, 2007, 06:58 AM
will the item be infinite diameter? So like if I move my mouse do I have to click an item like a button, or do I just need to move my mouse anywhere in a circle and it moves the selection in the circle(then click). Like a clickwheel and many other gesture tools.

Because the functionality of a infinite diameter click wheel would be amazing.

Mathiasdm
August 9th, 2007, 08:14 AM
This is the moment when I see the complaints about the "there should only be one XXXX in Linux" fall, competition is good for the users, it forces things to improve and get better.

There should be only one sexy library in Linux!

:guitar:

mrgnash
August 9th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Looks nice, yet we GNOME users still cannot choose different wallpapers for different instances of x-server.

Just installed it, but it doesn't work right for me, I get a black square.

Edit: after turning on Beryl I got the radial menu to load but there are no icons on the buttons.

Not to mention it would be rather nice to have animated desktop backgrounds a-la E17.

PartisanEntity
August 9th, 2007, 10:54 AM
I downloaded it and have it working to the point that it has icons and moves. But it does nothing and closes when I select something. Anyone know where in the code I can put a path for a program to be opened up when i click on a certain slice??

It's just a demo, doesn't do anything in its current state, I think.

Sunforge
August 9th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Will there be a libsexist for politically incorrect distros?

3rdalbum
August 9th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Some Linux-loving rappers from America are working on a competing project called "libnastyho".

z0mbie
August 9th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Man I've been having this idea for such a long time. I'm glad someone is working on it.

Lucifiel
August 9th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Ooohhh... I can't wait for libhunk! :D