PDA

View Full Version : Mepis 3.3 - Not up to date

Dragonfly_X
July 26th, 2005, 03:13 PM
I've installed mepis on my laptop and noticed that it used the 2.6.10 kernel and kde 3.3 .

I love using mepis but can't help felling that it's a little out of date with it's competitors. Can mepis be upgraded to kernel 2.6.11 and kde 3.4.1 stably or is it a lost cause.

somuchfortheafter
July 26th, 2005, 04:10 PM
add ubuntu to the sources list and see what hapens ....

Stormy Eyes
July 26th, 2005, 05:18 PM

You sure that's a good idea? I've noticed people advising against using Sid repositories with Hoary because it can break stuff; wouldn't using Hoary repositories in Mepis also break things?

bored2k
July 26th, 2005, 05:26 PM
Don't do that, ever.

I'm not sure what you can do with Mepis as this after all, a Ubuntu forum. Mepislovers should know more than us.

maruchan
July 26th, 2005, 05:34 PM
I love using mepis but can't help felling that it's a little out of date with it's competitors.

*Ding ding ding* Give this man a prize! \\:D/

Welcome back to Ubuntu! :)

poofyhairguy
July 26th, 2005, 07:42 PM
Can mepis be upgraded to kernel 2.6.11 and kde 3.4.1 stably or is it a lost cause.

You might could upgrade it, but you would be better off with Sid. It was not made TO be upgraded.

Dragonfly_X
July 27th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Just to bad then! :neutral: I'm gonna install ubuntu aswell and dual boot with Mepis.

bored2k
July 27th, 2005, 11:07 AM
How's Mepis performance compared to Ubuntu ? I might give it a show one of these days.

Dragonfly_X
July 27th, 2005, 11:29 AM
How's Mepis performance compared to Ubuntu ? I might give it a show one of these days.

I installed it yesterday for the first time and everything went smoothly, sofar it's seems very stable and performs quit good but it does seem a little out of date with KDE 3.3 and the 2.6.10 kernel but I guess it's just because I'm used to ubuntu always being on the knifes edge with new technology. I prefer KDE it's just a pity there are some issues with the current release kubuntu witch was the reason I dropped it to try Mepis.

Overall I would recommend giving Mepis a shot! Nice Distro! :-)

I'm also considering giving Gentoo a shot, still got read a couple of reviews on it before i install it

Dragonfly_X
July 28th, 2005, 08:51 AM
I must agree, it is very easy to install and use.