PDA

View Full Version : A long, pointless rant about the GIMP

picpak
August 8th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Alright...I know I'm gonna get flamed a ton over this (especially my overexaggerated middle paragraphs), but honestly...I'm starting to lose sleep over this.

I STILL can't get over the fact that someone, somewhere out there has seriously considered naming their own program the GIMP, much less going through with it. I mean, it's like naming your own child...well...the GIMP. No respected person would ever go through with that, but then again, the GIMP developers seem to have such a strict idea of what they want to do and don't do, so maybe they would.

When I think of everything that's nice and beautiful in the world...then I come across something that's called the GIMP. I mean, it's not the most absolute worst thing anyone's ever done, but it still saddens me. God condemns us because Adam and Eve ate an apple and we STILL can't tell the difference between right and wrong.

When I'm on Windows using my scanner's Photoshop ripoff, I want to say, "get me the GIMP. The GIMP is better"...but I just can't. I can't bring myself to say it. It sounds ridiculous to demand a program called the GIMP. As uninspired as PhotoStudio is, the name is still a lot better than the GIMP and probably always will be. So I stick with an inferior program because I wouldn't be caught dead running the GIMP. It sounds horrible, I know, but as long as that name is connected to that program I refuse to support it.

I know, I know, it stands for "GNU Image Manipulation Program". But no one actually refers to this type of program as a "image manipulation" program. It's an image editor, and I believe the name, acronym or not, should show that. Take for example, Imagemagick. It's a good name. Heck, it's a great name. Even if that program's hard for me to use, I tend to use it solely because of its name. Is that shallow of me? Or is the GIMP really that bad of a name?

The idea came from this post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=2877596&postcount=1), which is pointless flaming in itself, but it got me thinking that all these names (xsane, Xorg, gimp) probably make people think they're running script kiddie hacker programs on their first impression.

smoker
August 8th, 2007, 04:22 PM
hme, calm down, relax, it could be worse it could be called the WIMP - yes, windows, image, etc, etc...
:lolflag:

have an early night!

picpak
August 8th, 2007, 04:27 PM
But I just woke up!

MonkeyBoy
August 8th, 2007, 04:27 PM
This time last year I was a bit concerned about Nintendo calling their new console the Wii but I have learnt to live with it.

Life is too short to worry about the packaging when the product is great.

eentonig
August 8th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Thank God they didn't call it 'The Pimp'

Naming doesn't bother me that much (aside from KDE's terrible tendency to call everything K<something>).

My problems with 'The Gimp' lay elsewhere. It's a good program, but it just doesn't cut it.
(And before anybody comes in telling that I feel that way because I'm too used to Photoshop... I used the Gimp first and only later started using Photoshop.)

picpak
August 8th, 2007, 04:32 PM
lol, the Wii is somewhat forgivable since you can buy two and have a Wii-Wii...but GIMP-GIMP? I haven't liked this name for the past 2 years.

vexorian
August 8th, 2007, 04:32 PM
The civilization can survive silly names-

We live in a world in which things like "iPod" are considered hip...

MonkeyBoy
August 8th, 2007, 04:35 PM
http://www.spanish-country-villa.com/ftons/img9.gif

It is not just Linux that has dodgy names...

picpak
August 8th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Yes, but even the Wii and the iPod don't reference, what is according to Wikipedia:

A politically incorrect or pejorative term for a paraplegic person, anyone with a limp, or physical disability in the legs.

Nobody would want their program related to that...names like Wii, iPod and even Shito are so bizarre they intrigue you even just once, but this is just heartlessly cruel.

popch
August 8th, 2007, 04:41 PM
You are quite right. Your rant is pointless.

What do you find objectionable about a Gee Eye Emm Pee ?

(and what's so popular about pop corn?)
:popcorn:

MonkeyBoy
August 8th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Yes, but even the Wii and the iPod don't reference, what is according to Wikipedia:

Nobody would want their program related to that...names like Wii, iPod and even Shito are so bizarre they intrigue you even just once, but this is just heartlessly cruel.

Fair enough. You make a good point...

I still like using GIMP though...and sometimes quoting Pulp Fiction while I do it...

vexorian
August 8th, 2007, 04:42 PM
But how many people out there know that?

Gimp also stands for:
- a type of thread used to make lanyards
- a weak RPG character or ability, or the process of making a once powerful character or ability weaker.
- Gimp room, a slang architecture term

- Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search

starcraft.man
August 8th, 2007, 04:42 PM
God condemns us because Adam and Eve ate an apple and we STILL can't tell the difference between right and wrong.

Where does this fit into the argument for having the name GIMP changed?

So I stick with an inferior program because I wouldn't be caught dead running the GIMP. It sounds horrible, I know, but as long as that name is connected to that program I refuse to support it.

Your free to make that choice. IMO though it's incredibly shallow and immature to use or not use a program based on naming alone.

The idea came from this post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=2877596&postcount=1), which is pointless flaming in itself, but it got me thinking that all these names (xsane, Xorg, gimp) probably make people think they're running script kiddie hacker programs on their first impression.
I never got that impression at all, I don't judge programs based on names but functionality. I certainly wouldn't react "OMG Hacker programs!!!" before at least googling them and reading up (as I imagine sensible people would too when unsure).

But no one actually refers to this type of program as a "image manipulation" program.
Correction, no one you know refers to them as such. Taken straight out of the Wikipedia article for Photoshop:

It is the current market leader for commercial bitmap and image manipulation, and is the flagship product of Adobe Systems.

So at least some people do refer to the class in part as an image manipulation program/platform. I also know people that use the term in reference interchangeably with graphics editor and a few other names.

I know, I know, it stands for "GNU Image Manipulation Program".

There's your answer, use the full name and stop saying GIMP if it's that important to you. This whole thing is incredibly overblown, it's just a name.

Edit: Crap, lots of people responded before me... now gotta read up.

bchaffin72
August 8th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Unfortunately, the name always reminds me of Pulp Fiction.
"Bring out the Gimp!"

That being said, I do still use it.

xpod
August 8th, 2007, 04:46 PM
One of the things i actually liked about Ubuntu/linux when i arrived was all the kinda un-converntional names for stuff.

Where else could i use my bum for quicker boot times after all:)

starcraft.man
August 8th, 2007, 04:56 PM
But how many people out there know that?

Gimp also stands for:
- a type of thread used to make lanyards
- a weak RPG character or ability, or the process of making a once powerful character or ability weaker.
- Gimp room, a slang architecture term

- Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search

Good start there are two more at least.

* Gimp (band), a punk band from New Jersey, United States
* Gutenprint, a collection of printer drivers that were originally called Gimp-Print (print service for *nix)

Just a thought, but not everyone out there makes this association instantly...

hikaricore
August 8th, 2007, 05:02 PM
......your rant wasn't that long.

p.s. I've heard this before.

The End

FuturePilot
August 8th, 2007, 05:12 PM
I don't see anything wrong with the name. There's a lot of programs for Linux that have weird names.

Lord Illidan
August 8th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Funny name..so what? The biggest danger is that if I tell someone : Install the GIMP, s/he will not know that I am referring to an image manipulation program.

But that's the same thing with Firefox, Thunderbird, Iceweasel, hell, even Linux has a wierd name..

vexorian
August 8th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Wii has got some offensive conoctations in some languages as well, although in WII's defense, those languages are not ready for the desktop (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=120489).

Erik Trybom
August 8th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Could be worse.

The single worst name in software is, in my opinion, LaTeX. It is just wrong on so many levels it is diffucult to come to terms with.

MetalMusicAddict
August 8th, 2007, 05:29 PM
I'm just wondering why people feel the need to post a "long, pointless rant" at all? :)

@trophy
August 8th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Where does this fit into the argument for having the name GIMP changed?

I think the Adam & Eve comment was meant to say that we should know better now than to give our programs a name so insensitive as "the GIMP". Anyways I agree that it could have a better name... but I generally don't care because I use Photoshop for most everything. Anyways... so why can't we fork it and the only difference is we change everywhere it says "GIMP" to something else?

Problem solved.

insane_alien
August 8th, 2007, 05:33 PM
geez why does everybody judge on the names. i mean is calling something 'windows vista' any better? i mean what does it mean at first glance(assume you know nothing of microsoft) youd hink it was something about the view you get out of your double glazing.

or what about WMP? or abode flash(something forflashers perhaps?)? or almost any other bit of software you can get on windows.

just because something has a slightly dodgy sounding acronym doesn't mean nobody should use it.

/me hugs his GIMP ;P

argie
August 8th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Unfortunately, the name always reminds me of Pulp Fiction.
"Bring out the Gimp!"

That being said, I do still use it.

The way I see it, they gave it that name only so that everyone could laugh when someone said that in a Photoshop thread.

I like the GIMP, it's cool. If it had been some Photo* or Easel or something obvious, then it'd be not so nice. Gimp's cool, it's one syllable.

@MetalMusicAddict: Their blog doesn't get many readers perhaps? :P

Tyche
August 8th, 2007, 06:28 PM
"What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;"
Romeo and Juliet, William Shakespeare

picpak
August 8th, 2007, 06:30 PM
"What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;"
Romeo and Juliet, William Shakespeare

Not if it's called a crapweed. I wouldn't buy a dozen crapweeds.

I told you people this was pointless and overexaggerated, so don't say I didn't warn you. The Adam and Eve comment was way overboard, and the entire reason I put the warning to begin with. Sorry for that.

tehkain
August 8th, 2007, 06:40 PM

Naming doesn't bother me that much (aside from KDE's terrible tendency to call everything K<something>).

My problems with 'The Gimp' lay elsewhere. It's a good program, but it just doesn't cut it.
(And before anybody comes in telling that I feel that way because I'm too used to Photoshop... I used the Gimp first and only later started using Photoshop.)

Well then we could be like 'That photo has been PIMPed!'. IIts a great verb. PIMP my ride.

I do not mind GIMP. I also do not think we are condemned by some celestial dictator :)

@trophy
August 8th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Well then we could be like 'That photo has been PIMPed!'. IIts a great verb. PIMP my ride.

Indeed. I decree that henceforth, using GIMP to create a humorous photo-manipulation will be known as "pimping". The resultant photos will retain any adjectives that previously described them, as well as a new one: they shall forever more be "pimped." This will continue until the GIMP project officially changes the name of their product. ;)

BOBSONATOR
August 8th, 2007, 07:22 PM

This made me laugh.

starcraft.man
August 8th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Not if it's called a crapweed. I wouldn't buy a dozen crapweeds.

If roses had been called crapweed (or any other name) for over 500 years (or x time) you'd be used to them being called that. Perhaps even the words crap and weed wouldn't carry the same negative connotations that they do today. The point being, names/words only have as much meaning as a person (i.e. you) chooses to give them.

I told you people this was pointless and over exaggerated, so don't say I didn't warn you. The Adam and Eve comment was way overboard, and the entire reason I put the warning to begin with. Sorry for that.

If you knew it was pointless, then why did you author the thread to begin with?

Edit:

Indeed. I decree that henceforth, using GIMP to create a humorous photo-manipulation will be known as "pimping". The resultant photos will retain any adjectives that previously described them, as well as a new one: they shall forever more be "pimped." This will continue until the GIMP project officially changes the name of their product. ;)
LOL!

*waits for someone to make a naming hack changing it to PIMP*

FuturePilot
August 8th, 2007, 07:27 PM
When I first heard of the Gimp, I thought it was a cute name:mrgreen:

hessiess
August 8th, 2007, 07:46 PM
gimp is an acceptable name, but it dusent describe what the software does, witch may confuse new users, personally ive always thort that gnu and the kde app naming scheme are strange

picpak
August 8th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Well then we could be like 'That photo has been PIMPed!'.

That'd be...pretty cool, actually. Maybe it'd be better left uncapitalized, but hey, it has possibilities:

Guy 1: Linux is pretty awesome. Free software, no spyware...and it has THE PIMP!

*opens up an image of Wilbur dressed like Lil' Jon and wearing bling*

Guy 2 *clearly overlooks how overdone and tacky it all is* Awesome! You gotta get me that!

When I first heard of the Gimp, I thought it was a cute name:mrgreen:

See, it's all personal opinion. One thing I saw on Digg that I thought was pretty cute was "Design better with CRAP". I can see why one wouldn't want to have anything to do with that though.

I also do not think we are condemned by some celestial dictator :)

Bad choice of wording, I know...well, bad choice of topic to begin with on these forums.

init1
August 8th, 2007, 07:55 PM
This time last year I was a bit concerned about Nintendo calling their new console the Wii but I have learnt to live with it.

Life is too short to worry about the packaging when the product is great.
They avertise the wii as being Japanese, but the Japanese don't even have a syllable for "wii" :roll:

bowens44
August 8th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Since it is now used mostly for photo manipulation it should be called:

'Photo Image Manipulation Program'

well...maybe not.

On Edit:

Ok, I should have read the entire thread before posting........obviously, I'm not the only one to come up this.

picpak
August 8th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Since it is now used mostly for photo manipulation it should be called:

'Photo Image Manipulation Program'

well...maybe not.

Geez, I had an idea almost exactly to that: Photo/Image Management Program.

ssam
August 8th, 2007, 08:49 PM
you could call it the GNU Imp.

popch
August 8th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Call it the Picture enhancement information system and get it over with.

bigyoy
August 8th, 2007, 08:56 PM
I used GIMP portable on my windows work laptop. My boss saw the window title "GIMP" and immediately thought I was up to no good....

pretty funny at the time