PDA

View Full Version : Help me make up my mind.

Freddy
August 8th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Hi all.

I was going to set up my computers again, this time converting all of my NTFS filesystems to ext3 and I was thinking about getting rid of everything Windows related once and for all, but should I?

Another choice of mine is to install XP again on a 20-40 gb partition and just leave it be, maybe I will need it sometime, who knows?

It's not a space related issue (I have plenty of space), just that I don't use Windows at all and I doesn't game that much (or all), so I let this community make up my mind on this issue.

So should I go with just GNU/Linux on my main computer or continue dual booting?

/Freddy

jgrabham
August 8th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Hi all.

I was going to set up my computers again, this time converting all of my NTFS filesystems to ext3 and I was thinking about getting rid of everything Windows related once and for all, but should I?

Another choice of mine is to install XP again on a 20-40 gb partition and just leave it be, maybe I will need it sometime, who knows?

It's not a space related issue (I have plenty of space), just that I don't use Windows at all and I doesn't game that much (or all), so I let this community make up my mind on this issue.

So should I go with just GNU/Linux on my main computer or continue dual booting?

/Freddy

20-40!!??
Id put it on a 5GB FAT partition, just in case ou ever need it

popch
August 8th, 2007, 03:27 PM
MAKE UP YOUR MIND!

Does this help?

LaRoza
August 8th, 2007, 03:32 PM
There is nothing wrong with keeping it around if you have the room, if it is XP, you don't need much room for it.

Reason to keep it:

* If you get a sandisk "U3" drive, and need to use the uninstaller, which only works in XP
* If you get something that requires Windows
* In case you feel you need pain

Freddy
August 8th, 2007, 03:45 PM
There is nothing wrong with keeping it around if you have the room, if it is XP, you don't need much room for it.

Reason to keep it:
* In case you feel you need pain
Yeah I sometimes have sadomasochistiskt tendencies, and yeah I have pleny of spare space now a days, I had a server with 1.8 tb but I had a run in with the law, so now I don't use that much of it :).

reclusivemonkey
August 8th, 2007, 07:19 PM
If you don't use XP for gaming, then just get some virtualisation software and install XP within Ubuntu, just in case you need it for anything; saves you rebooting.

era86
August 8th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Keep XP on a small partition, Ubuntu on it's own partition, and keep the partition with your files on it in FAT32. I do that so I can have both around and still access all my documents and such.

Keep it around it won't hurt.

WishingWell
August 8th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Hi all.

/Freddy

Save the space for now, if you find that you'll need XP further down the road then install it, if you find that you don't then just use parted to convert it or delete it and extend your partition, put as the second partition though and keep an Ubuntu live cd handy so you can use grub-install from there once you have installed windows (whatever version you'll want at that time).

I've got a Vista install that is a LOT faster than my other two linux installs but i rarely use it, the reason for that is that i do a lot of development and QT roxxorz my boxxorz.

bigyoy
August 8th, 2007, 08:54 PM
I would keep windows on a 10gb partition - just because you never know when you will buy some new gadget that doesn't work straight away with linux. Also 10gb isn't really that much space these days so keeping it there won't do any harm.

just my 2c

Freddy
August 8th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Keep XP on a small partition, Ubuntu on it's own partition, and keep the partition with your files on it in FAT32. I do that so I can have both around and still access all my documents and such.

Keep it around it won't hurt.
I use ext3 on my "transfer" partition and I use fsdriver (http://www.fs-driver.org/faq.html) to mount my ext3 filesystems as ext2 from Windows.

BTW, this topic is more or less closed, I logged into Windows for the first time in months and decided to remove it all. Whatever I can't do in GNU/Linux I won't do at all. So now it's just Ubuntu base system with Enlightenment17 over it, I might install OpenBox again in case e17 breaks.

Wish me good luck boys and girls on my new Windows free life :).

/Freddy

phidia
August 8th, 2007, 09:03 PM
I know it's alpha but you could install this (http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html) in place of windows.
Yes it's quirky, but it's open source. :p

smoker
August 8th, 2007, 09:49 PM
BTW, this topic is more or less closed, I logged into Windows for the first time in months and decided to remove it all. Whatever I can't do in GNU/Linux I won't do at all.
Wish me good luck boys and girls on my new Windows free life :).

/Freddy

there! you made your mind up, and i'll bet you feel a whole lot better:lolflag:

best of luck:)

Wiebelhaus
August 8th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Yeah I sometimes have sadomasochistiskt tendencies, and yeah I have pleny of spare space now a days, I had a server with 1.8 tb but I had a run in with the law, so now I don't use that much of it :).

I feel like that allot to , seriously ....

ya I'd keep a chunk of windows just in case..