PDA

View Full Version : maximum number of cd's

champ_rock
July 26th, 2005, 01:17 PM
hey man
iwas wondering what is the max number of cd's ubuntu ships for general use.........
everyone please quote their max number that they have recieved.... without...a mail from ubuntu saying why the hell do u want that many cd's.............................

champ_rock
July 26th, 2005, 01:17 PM
i have got 18

UbuWu
July 26th, 2005, 04:26 PM
I don't know what is the maximum number, but I saw another exciting thing on the FAQ:

Can You Send DVDs?

We are currently working on plans to allow people to purchase DVDs images that contain the Live CD, the install CD, and the complete set of supported packages for Ubuntu including Kubuntu. We'll update the shipit site and this page when that becomes a reality. We currently don't have a time frame but we expect it to be very soon.

BWF89
July 26th, 2005, 04:28 PM
I think I got 25 one time.

champ_rock
July 26th, 2005, 05:25 PM
come on guys................... only 25...... i think all use windows and they r dieheart windows fans......................................... i have ordered 48..... lets see if they ship it..................................

Kvark
July 26th, 2005, 06:03 PM
18, 25, 48 ...are you guys ordering for your whole chess club??

poofyhairguy
July 26th, 2005, 07:43 PM
hey man
iwas wondering what is the max number of cd's ubuntu ships for general use.........

I've heard of people asking for hundreds. Over a million have shipped.

ubuntu_demon
July 26th, 2005, 08:12 PM
first I ordered 10 (x86) after I had all given them to friends. I have ordered 20 this time (15 x86,3 powerpc and 2 amd64)

Sam
July 27th, 2005, 10:29 AM
According the Ubuntu shipit faq (http://www.ubuntulinux.org/support/documentation/faq/shipit/):

You should use your judgment and limit yourself to a reasonable number of CDs for yourself and to give to your friends and coworkers. If you order a large number of CDs, you will be automatically contacted by Canonical staff to confirm who will ask about how you intend to use the CDs and to confirm the order.

The system will prohibit you from placing orders that are extremely large or that include what we think is a disproportionate number of AMD64 or PowerPC CDs. These orders can be placed by hand by Canonical staff. If you are stopped from placing an order by shipit, please: Place an order for zero CDS within Shipit
Then email Shipit Help with your email address and the number of CDs you want.

somuchfortheafter
July 27th, 2005, 03:25 PM
im waiting for the breezy disk and I recieved 20 and all of them have been handed out and I think 18 people are now using linux mainly so 18/20 isnt bad at all thats a 90% return on investment.

dataw0lf
July 27th, 2005, 03:38 PM
18, 25, 48 ...are you guys ordering for your whole chess club??
35 here. Not the chess club. My harem.

champ_rock
July 27th, 2005, 04:05 PM
actually this is not a chess club..... the part of the world i live in the new blank cd's cost a lot and downloading is about 48kbps only..... so these pressed cd's r in demand........
also the success rate of live cd's is about 80%.... everyone atleast gives it a try..
and the install cd's are asked for by about 70% people...whoi like the welcome change from windows....
there demand far exceeds the spply.....................

champ_rock
July 27th, 2005, 04:06 PM
i got 18 cd's and have currently given my own copy to someone else to install........... so u can understand i am able to see the my own cd in about a month only..............

Gouken
July 27th, 2005, 07:13 PM
I just got my 20 CD's today :)

champ_rock
July 28th, 2005, 01:41 PM
hey man have u recieved any mail from shipit.........

Pawel
July 30th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Hi :)

A heard that in Polish - one man ordered 500 cd's :) - He have to explain oneself why he ordered till cd's (Ubuntu team gave a call to him). He said that he want to give out all cd's at his university :smile:

Is that true - i don't know, but i think it's very possible :)

And sorry for my english ;)

KiwiNZ
July 30th, 2005, 10:35 PM
I keep a box on my desk at work with a sign ,please take one . I was thinking about sending Discs with my christmas cards this year .

davidgypsy
September 11th, 2005, 09:09 PM
I just got 115, this week... one month before Breezy... oh well...

jdong
September 11th, 2005, 10:06 PM
For Warty, I was so convinced and impressed by this OS that I ordered 50 of each architecture, to distribute at FIRST Robotics competitions.

Unfortunately, the CD's arrived a few weeks too late for that to be successful, and I managed to get less than half of them out before Hoary was released.

With Hoary, I got smart and just ordered 10 of each architecture, and have succeeded in giving away all of them.

If I can get Breezy CD's by the end of January 2006, I'd order around 30 each to give away at US FIRST competitions again... But in reality, we'd probably be manufacturing our customized (and somewhat illegitimate) Breezy LiveCD's of programming tools.

champ_rock
September 22nd, 2005, 01:16 PM
chill man
i think ur order is not proportionate and u will get a call from ubuntu people asking u why u ordered such a disproportinate order........ 30 cd's of every thing...........

A-star
September 22nd, 2005, 01:23 PM
I ordered 10, I gave them away to my co workers and some at the evening school I'm attending.

this time I ordered 15 breezy cd's.

joaoeb
September 22nd, 2005, 08:21 PM
I received a email. But my order was 200 CDs. It may seem a LOT, but I have only 15 yet (mainly AMD64). They are gone in a install fest (when Breezy CDs come we will make another and take pictures this time), and in 2 free linux introductory classes I gave.

The pressed CDs are very good to give away. Because they look professional, even if they are exactly equal a burn image, people will valuate them more. This makes a lot of difference when you are presenting Linux to them.

P.S. I’m still learning English, so I hope you understand what I wrote.

Lord Illidan
September 22nd, 2005, 08:42 PM
I only ordered 10.. Though I don't know what to do with them, as I don't want to hand them out to all and sundry and then have to work hard on repairing other folks' computers. I did give one to my computer teacher though, as a gift..

Ordering 100 just for the hell of it is rather unfair though, considering that there are others who might need the service.

professor_chaos
September 23rd, 2005, 01:59 AM
Ordering 100 just for the hell of it is rather unfair though, considering that there are others who might need the service.

Yeah, Order just what you need! I ordered just 5 to give out. Don't take advantage of the free shipit system. Thanks to Mark Shuttleworth donations and support of many, the shipit free CDs exist. Don't bite the hand that feed you free software.

zenwhen
September 23rd, 2005, 02:14 AM
I won't be ordering any this time. I'll burn off what i need this time. I fond my CD-R's to be much more personal. I like to hard-sell people on Linux. I have switched six people this year. I didn't just install it for them. I supported it. I am still supporting it. It is worth it to me. They are getting the hang of it and telling their friends.

This is viral marketing at its best.