PDA

View Full Version : Anybody planning on buying the Lenovo with Linux laptop?

RAV TUX
August 8th, 2007, 04:58 AM
Old news by now that Lenovo is the world's third-biggest PC maker will sell Linux Laptops....

My question is Anybody planning on buying the Lenovo with Linux laptop?

reference the single thread from four merged threads:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=519582&page=8

reference the BBC news article:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6933859.stm

Zzl1xndd
August 8th, 2007, 05:02 AM
Given the options I think I will just go with Dell.

aysiu
August 8th, 2007, 05:05 AM
No. I'm not in the market for a laptop right now.

mindtrick
August 8th, 2007, 05:13 AM
No, not after my latest experience with laptops.

Dimitriid
August 8th, 2007, 05:53 AM
Depends on the hardware and the price they would offer. Dell Ubuntu's look nice but their laptop setup is too expensive right now when compared to similar set ups from other brands.

Kingsley
August 8th, 2007, 06:01 AM
It'll probably be overpriced.

Technoviking
August 8th, 2007, 06:05 AM
I got a Lenovo 3000 N100 a few week back and love it. 95% supported Ubuntu out of the box.

jrusso2
August 8th, 2007, 06:19 AM
I already bought a Lenovo/IBM T 43 last year and it runs Ubuntu quite well so I am not in the market for a laptop atm.

era86
August 8th, 2007, 06:34 AM
I just purchased a T61... without it.

smbm
August 11th, 2007, 10:33 AM
I just got an R61 without Linux.

Presumably hardware support for Lenovo gear is going to improve as a result of this.

How long do you think it will take for the changes that Lenovo make (hopefully anyway, some of the hardware still isn't supported amazingly well) to filter through to Ubuntu?

I've got most stuff working but have had to use a few ugly hacks to get some things working.

Alexander2007
August 11th, 2007, 10:45 AM
IBM and Lenovo laptops are quite overpriced in my opinion. I'll look elsewhere.

Harpoon
August 11th, 2007, 11:20 AM
I had Edgy 64 bit running well on my Lenovo 3000 N100, and just did a fresh install of Feisty. The newer version required nothing in the way of workarounds for hardware (with the exception of needing "915resolution). This time, at least, "it works out of the box" was pretty much on the mark.

I bought this laptop based on price vs the IBM Thinkpad (it also had a smaller screen). The one thing I hate is the Synaptic touchpad. I just turn it off. I want my trackpoint back!

slimdog360
August 11th, 2007, 11:30 AM
24" iMac with leopard is where its at.

AndyCooll
August 11th, 2007, 02:35 PM
24" iMac with leopard is where its at.

Rubbish! It's only where it's at in your opinion and other fellow Mac fanboys ...which is fine, that's your choice. I've personally never liked Macs, so it certainly ain't "where's it's at" in the opinion of folks in this house.

I've used ThinkPads at work, indeed the one I have at the moment is a T60 (with XP) installed. And I really like them. I also like the fact that traditionally most of the hardware is LInux compatible.
I'm currently using a couple of fairly old Toshiba Satellites, and everything works with these too. However I prefer the ThinkPads so when I buy replacement laptops these are what I'll probably buy.

:cool:

RAV TUX
August 11th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Rubbish! It's only where it's at in your opinion and other fellow Mac fanboys ...which is fine, that's your choice. I've personally never liked Macs, so it certainly ain't "where's it's at" in the opinion of folks in this house.

I've used ThinkPads at work, indeed the one I have at the moment is a T60 (with XP) installed. And I really like them. I also like the fact that traditionally most of the hardware is LInux compatible.
I'm currently using a couple of fairly old Toshiba Satellites, and everything works with these too. However I prefer the ThinkPads so when I buy replacement laptops these are what I'll probably buy.

:cool:

Great post and good information, Thanks for the 411!

Outrunner
August 11th, 2007, 04:58 PM
If the question were "Would you be willing to... ?" then my answer would be HELL YES, but in this case, no I won't(because I can't) buy a Linux laptop. Really I would buy laptops that support Linux out of the box without a second thought, but I just don't have the money right now.

I can dream though, can't I? :KS

cvaty
September 17th, 2007, 04:38 AM
just got a new x61 ... came with vista
formated vista first thing out of the box
installed gusty with a usb stick

on my feet and running
much better :)

i dono if i'd spend extra money on linux out of the box b/c its so easy to do yourself

looking forward to support if they offer it