PDA

View Full Version : about dist-upgrading and fresh installing

kiddo
July 26th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Hello folks, there is an issue that still tickles me with Ubuntu. I have to admit that comes from over 10 years as a windowser and only one year as a linuxer. When I dist-upgrade, I don't get .. let's say, a "clean feel" with that. Not that I don't feel "secure" about upgrading my packages. It's just that I find it hard to know "my distro is exactly like a spanking new one should be when it's shipped".

I'll try to um... explain a little bit better @_@

Let's use an example. When I installed a Hoary (preview release) on my laptop, it ran just fine. And I also had the upgrade manager thing there automatically. Wow I said. But my main desktop, which was dist-upgraded from warty (and in a painful way, because within those two weeks, I have killed my xorg setup at least thirty times heehee), did not have that ubuntu update notifier, which I liked. I noticed though that creating a new user afterwards, that user would get the update notifier. So that means that it's on a per-user basis.

Then ... it's a bit annoying you see, I don't know how to "discover all the new shinyness of the new release" since my user is stuck with its configs.

Of course you can delete the user. But that's barbarian and it would also wipe out some tweaks.

Then, the issue ticking me the most (and I seek your point of view on this) is for major changes, like boot time. I think my laptop booted way faster than the dist-upgraded desktop. However this laptop has a quarter of the ram and CPU and the hard drive is surely slow.

So, to me it appears like it DOES make a difference in dist-upgrading and installing a clean distro, somewhat like formatting your windows XP box every two months because it attained a "personality of its own" (I'm sure I'm not the only one who experienced that when I was a windowser).

And so I have the two opposing forces:

doing a clean install from a badger colony when I get back home around middle august
waiting for october (ARGH! x_x) to enjoy a fully clean desktop
Sorry for the long post, but I had to share this thing that has been fogging my mind for some time now ](*,)

WildTangent
July 26th, 2005, 10:59 AM
ya, ive had nothing but trouble dist-upgrading. i get the best results when i boot into the recovery mode, IE running no GUI. its still never the same as a clean install from the latest CD though IMO

-Wild

Kvark
July 26th, 2005, 06:19 PM
Yeah, dist-upgrading is no good. And even if it would work perfectly. I'd still reformat and reinstall at every release. For 2 reasons...

1. I have installed a lot of programs that I don't use and don't even remember anymore. They and the packages they depend on are wasting disk space. It would be way too troublesome to hunt down and uninstall all those packages.

2. I have done some stupid things with the computer, messed some stuff up, I always do, so resetting all the tweaking and configs from time to time keeps my mistakes from building up over time.

poofyhairguy
July 26th, 2005, 07:46 PM
I will clean install the preview release and upgrade from there. Ubuntu upgrades better than most OSes thanks to Debian....but then you don't see the new installer.

We might have to clean install for beagle.

nobodysbusiness
July 26th, 2005, 07:50 PM
It's a shame that dist-upgrade doesn't work... I was looking forward to upgrading with one simple command when Breezy came out. But if that's the way it is, I guess I'll just have to live with it. It's not a surprise though; it's not as if any other operating system can upgrade cleanly either.

poofyhairguy
July 26th, 2005, 08:50 PM
It's a shame that dist-upgrade doesn't work... I was looking forward to upgrading with one simple command when Breezy came out. But if that's the way it is, I guess I'll just have to live with it. It's not a surprise though; it's not as if any other operating system can upgrade cleanly either.

Its works as good as any can. Nothing a human touches can be perfect. We are perfectly imperfect.

dataw0lf
July 26th, 2005, 08:53 PM
I've had some slight problems with Ubuntu's dist-upgrade (some broken dependencies, but it's easily fixable with a bit of dpkg magic). It's still slightly more broken then any dist-upgrades I've done with Debian, however.
I'm surprised there are so many people who do 'fresh installs' I haven't done a fresh install on my workstation machine since about 3 years ago (I dist-upgraded from Sid to Warty when it came out), and my servers I don't dist-upgrade too often (but the recent upgrade to Sarge went perfect).

kiddo
July 27th, 2005, 02:11 AM
Yeah, I really wish to see the graphical installer. Not that I dislike the textmode one, it does it job. It's just that I want to see what my friend would see if I lent them the CD ;)

The reason why I have this dilemma is time, also. Because I want to have a somewhat fresh and working worstation in August. Before the back to school (why am I called Kiddo d'ya think? :)). In my mind, it would have made some sense to have everything (gnome, ubuntu, etc) that follows the 6 months release cycle to coincide with back to school. That way you can sort things out before being already in trouble for other stuff ;)

I guess I'll find the time, no matter what, to do a clean install again in october.
Thanks for your advice guys, at least now I don't feel like I'm missing something ^^

P.s.: I don't remember when the preview releases get out.. is it one month before the final release? So in this case that means I could get a preview on ~September 1 ?

rwabel
July 28th, 2005, 12:23 AM
having a clean system is for sure nice, but I couldn't and wouldn't do that in my case. There are too many tweaks, configurations, installed packages. For the packages, it's no big deal, they can easily installed again automatically.

I've heard a lot about how bad dist-upgrade is...didn't have a problem from warty to hoary. But is it really a big deal with breezy?

Xian
July 28th, 2005, 12:27 AM
I've heard a lot about how bad dist-upgrade is...didn't have a problem from warty to hoary. But is it really a big deal with breezy?
It won't be when closer to the Breezy release date.
But as Inspector Clouseau often said, "Now is not the time!" :wink:

rwabel
July 28th, 2005, 12:32 AM
It won't be when closer to the Breezy release date.
But as Inspector Clouseau often said, "Now is not the time!" :wink:
ah okay then I'm tranquilized, thanks