PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone elses flash plugin cause their firefox to crash alot?

triptoe
August 7th, 2007, 11:53 PM
just curious.. mine crashes all the time.. not usually while i am in the middle of a flash video but when i am navigatinga round flash pages. it freezes, then i have to control alt delete and manually kill the FF process because it doesnt respond.. then restart again each time. about 20-30 times a day depending on how much i am using the computer

jgrabham
August 7th, 2007, 11:55 PM
Not just me then

a12ctic
August 7th, 2007, 11:55 PM
it used to but I think 9 is pretty stable for the most part. Just to be safe though Id get noscript and just allow the sites you want to be able to use flash/javascript/etc

reyfer
August 7th, 2007, 11:56 PM
Nope, no problems here

Ultra Magnus
August 8th, 2007, 12:25 AM
Does occasionally - websites with flash videos sometimes cause ff to crash on mine

daverich
August 8th, 2007, 12:27 AM
yup me too

youtube becomes a bit of a drag when it causes firefox to freeze every few pages.....

Kind regards

Dave Rich

PriceChild
August 8th, 2007, 12:30 AM
Every so often when closing a tab with embedded flash it'll crash firefox. Only once every couple of weeks though. I think I'm lucky :)

starcraft.man
August 8th, 2007, 12:31 AM
Nope, rock solid.

Kingsley
August 8th, 2007, 12:50 AM
It crashes at least 4 times in 5-6 hours on my HP dv6000t laptop. I think it may be because I use Compiz. Firefox never crashes on my HP desktop, which doesn't have 3d effects.

init1
August 8th, 2007, 12:55 AM
Sometimes. I think it's demanding on the system. If you wait, it might load eventually. Such things run better with light window managers.

init1
August 8th, 2007, 12:57 AM
Nope, rock solid.
What sort of setup do you have? Fast computer? Slow computer?

Dimitriid
August 8th, 2007, 01:12 AM
Fairly often it just locks when trying to close flash tabs. I havent gotten crashes on other situations but closing tabs that have flash on em is guaranteed to eventually lock FF up.

smartboyathome
August 8th, 2007, 01:15 AM
Mine used to crash, but when 2.0.0.5 came out, it all of a sudden stopped. It usually only crashed on youtube and similar sites though.

starcraft.man
August 8th, 2007, 01:20 AM
What sort of setup do you have? Fast computer? Slow computer?

Old p4 2.4 (512 cache, really old chip) with only a GB of old SD RAM. I even use Beryl 0.2.1 full time (not upgrading to compiz till gutsy), that runs on my 6800 GT 128. It's a 5+ year old machine (cards new, only upgrade), if I can be rock solid on that I think lots of people can... >.>.

Oh and I did notice a small speed increase with 2.0.0.5/6, or maybe it's just my imagination... not sure.

macogw
August 8th, 2007, 01:47 AM
Well, anyone that makes a website entirely out of Flash is an idiot and deserves to have an unusable page until such time as they learn to use XHTML & CSS.

Anyway, though...there's only one website that has caused Flash to freeze Firefox for me. It's my cousin's website. I think it knows he's one of those a**es that uses religion to justify his hatred and doesn't want to display his media company's site since that company is what he uses to spread his bigotry.

Andrewie
August 8th, 2007, 01:48 AM
it doesn't crash firefox but it bloats up everything. The plugin uses almost 30 mb on its own, and web sites with heavy flash lag my computers to death.

example: http://www.g4tv.com

some_random_noob
August 8th, 2007, 02:24 AM
I used to have problems with flash - when I put the mouse over a part of the page containing a flash applet, it closed my browser.

Billy_McBong
August 8th, 2007, 02:37 AM
FF locks up whenever i close or switch tabs while watching a flash video:(

FuturePilot
August 8th, 2007, 02:51 AM
It's a known bug with Flash
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/flashplugin-nonfree/+bug/98688
It's really annoying though.:(

cmat
August 8th, 2007, 03:09 AM
My firefox crashed because of it. This is the single and only problem I've ever had with Ubuntu that is consistent in all my PCs. Otherwise every bug is gradually being resolved. All that's left is the crappy ATI drivers.

Dimitriid
August 8th, 2007, 03:11 AM
Well, anyone that makes a website entirely out of Flash is an idiot and deserves to have an unusable page until such time as they learn to use XHTML & CSS.

Hear Hear =D> But still, flash pluging is buggy for me even with just 1 item, plus sadly is hard to demand sites like youtube to be flash free all of the sudden sadly :(

mrbungle
August 8th, 2007, 04:52 AM
i have some problems on youtube sometimes. it will pause and then crash the browser when i press on the back button.

really drives me nuts sometimes.:mad:

Nikron
August 8th, 2007, 05:30 AM
Not under firefox-nightly.

LookTJ
August 8th, 2007, 05:44 AM
Nope, never crashed for almost 4 months.

Spr0k3t
August 8th, 2007, 05:45 AM
Since 2.0.0.5 (64bit) Firefox has been rock solid. However, the 32bit pluginwrapper tends to crash a bit... mostly due to the shoddy Flash plugin.

Firefox doesn't crash... it's Flash that takes out Firefox. I find Firefox itself crashes more often on Windows systems than it does on Linux. If it is firefox that crashes... you will receive a bug request dialog.

FuturePilot
August 8th, 2007, 05:47 AM
Yes it's definitely not Firefox. Firefox is pretty stable. It's Flash that's causing the problems.

Alexander2007
August 8th, 2007, 06:09 AM
Flash is the cause of it but after receiving all Ubuntu updates (including: Firefox 2.0.0.5) it hasn't crashed since. :)

EDIT: It just crashed!

superstylin
August 8th, 2007, 06:25 AM
Youtube crashes my firefox every 3-4 movies or so... pain in the *** really :(

beercz
August 8th, 2007, 12:51 PM
yes

triptoe
August 8th, 2007, 01:08 PM
I just did full updates.. it seems to crash a bit less but still some.

bluemarvel
August 11th, 2007, 03:43 AM
I'm running Feisty Fawn on an HP Pavilion dv9000 laptop. No eye candy. Firefox seizes on YouTube and MySpace pages and it's sporadic and when I'm trying to navigate away from the page, usually using the back button. The video can be paused, at the end or in progress, doesn't matter. I can't rely replicate the issue. The status bar usually shows that it's trying to download an ad or something when it does it, which would make sense in that I can't reliably reproduce since the ad placement rotates. I have the same issue with and without ad blocker installed.

If I kill the process and then restore session when I fire up Firefox, I still can't reliably reproduce the problem.

It's very, very frustrating.

triptoe
August 11th, 2007, 04:03 AM
alright i am not sure but i think the bug might be when you from a flash page while the video is playing. If you pause or stop the video then close or navigate away from the page it won't crash. I am not sure but i will do further testing

Dimitriid
August 11th, 2007, 04:08 AM
crashes Epiphany too its the plugin.

Boomy
August 11th, 2007, 04:17 AM
I've never been able to view alot of youtube videos without a crash. It sucks!

triptoe
August 11th, 2007, 04:36 AM
I've never been able to view alot of youtube videos without a crash. It sucks!

try stopping/pausing the video before you navigate to a different page or close the tab/browser . i am not 100% certain but i think thats it

kostkon
August 11th, 2007, 04:46 AM
Flash plugin works just fine for me even on Youtube. When I play a video and select other tabs everything works fine; even when I have 30+ tabs opened with 5 and more of them having Youtube videos buffering and readying to play. No crash at all.

Flash does not feel so heavy in Firefox, it could be much much worse. And, as you can see, I don't have a top of the notch PC.

I know it's strange... but for me is a success!

original_jamingrit
August 11th, 2007, 05:16 AM
Every few flash animations on newgrounds crashes mine. I'm still waiting to see what happens with gnash.

http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/

RAV TUX
August 11th, 2007, 05:36 AM
just curious.. mine crashes all the time.. not usually while i am in the middle of a flash video but when i am navigatinga round flash pages. it freezes, then i have to control alt delete and manually kill the FF process because it doesnt respond.. then restart again each time. about 20-30 times a day depending on how much i am using the computer

Nope my Firefox never crashes, what OS are you using?

liswitalis
August 11th, 2007, 07:37 PM
This topic solved all my problems with firefox, flash and other plugins:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=202537&highlight=wine+amd64
Excellent work.

argie
August 11th, 2007, 07:53 PM
So that's what it is. I was wondering.

sebbouckaert
August 11th, 2007, 11:50 PM
same here with 2.0.0.6 and flash 9, seems to have gotten worse since a couple of days. Surfing youtube or myspace is really annoying with at least 1 freeze every 2 or 3 minutes :mad:

goumples
August 11th, 2007, 11:56 PM
It has crashed before.. but either feisty fixed the problem or I've just been lucky as it hasnt happened since I upgraded to 7.04

Freddy
August 12th, 2007, 12:16 AM
The flash bug (https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/14911) has been reported ages ago, it's been with us for several releases but the developers doesn't have the time to do anything about it, they are fully occupied integrating Compiz-Fusion into their next release.

I've seen reports older than this to.

triptoe
August 12th, 2007, 12:46 AM
same here with 2.0.0.6 and flash 9, seems to have gotten worse since a couple of days. Surfing youtube or myspace is really annoying with at least 1 freeze every 2 or 3 minutes :mad:

have you tried stopping / pausing the video before navigating away from the page/ closing it ?

jfg69
August 12th, 2007, 01:07 AM
Yup, and it happens on *nix as well as XP.... can even be deadly whilst in the midst of a game!

zxccvb
August 14th, 2007, 03:18 PM
I think this bug should have the highest priority.

It's not like you have linux to play games... if you can't navigate too...
This is a killer issue and, worst than all, it's a very old one.

FuturePilot
August 14th, 2007, 03:40 PM
I hope I'm not speaking too soon but I haven't had a Flash induced freeze since I added

"export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1"
to the end of /usr/bin/firefox
A workaround for now. Doesn't help if you're using a different browser.

iPower
August 14th, 2007, 08:52 PM
my browser sometimes freeze on flash content

1/0
August 15th, 2007, 03:30 PM
All my three desktops crash at certain flash sites. Really irritating. As soon as I go in to a page firefox gets blank and will not respond again. Killall is my savior!

Some sites work others don't. I guess some are done with features that are not supported in Shockwave Flash 9.0 r31 or maybe its just a bug...

Its really fun to stumbleupon and every tenth page will make you browser crash. Not!

FuturePilot
August 15th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Gahh, It's still freezing on me......#-o

mostwanted
August 15th, 2007, 03:59 PM
All the time. I use Flash block and only open flash content which I know I'm gonna use.

starcraft.man
August 15th, 2007, 04:54 PM
I hope I'm not speaking too soon but I haven't had a Flash induced freeze since I added

"export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1"
to the end of /usr/bin/firefox
A workaround for now. Doesn't help if you're using a different browser.

Interesting. I just added this line and flash seems to run a bit better. I wasn't crashing really but it just seems to work and load better. I guess others should add this too.

Freddy
August 15th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Interesting. I just added this line and flash seems to run a bit better. I wasn't crashing really but it just seems to work and load better. I guess others should add this too.
That ugly workaround does stabilize flash with Firefox a bit but unfortunately it doesn't solve the problem completely.

Do not expect the developers to do anything about this little flash problem though, cause either it's out of their hands (even though I have only had this happened to me with Ubuntu) or they just doesn't care.

zxccvb
August 16th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Just for the record, since this "solution" pop up everytime:

"export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1" DOES NOT WORK.

At all.

Not does swiftfox. Not does removing Adblock.

stinkinrich88
August 18th, 2007, 10:24 PM
This annoyed me so much. So today I made the switch to Opera. SOooo much faster and I'm in love with it already.

BUT I still get the flash problem! I have to kill opera and when I load it back up, the flash content displays again, but freezes when the video loads. Also, when this hapens, I can't play any videos through xine / vlc (and I swear mpd crashed as well), have to restart it to fix it

So annoying, any ideas appreciated

Freddy
August 18th, 2007, 10:31 PM
This annoyed me so much. So today I made the switch to Opera. SOooo much faster and I'm in love with it already.

BUT I still get the flash problem! I have to kill opera and when I load it back up, the flash content displays again, but freezes when the video loads. Also, when this hapens, I can't play any videos through xine / vlc (and I swear mpd crashed as well), have to restart it to fix it

So annoying, any ideas appreciated
This bug is not within Firefox or Opera. As been stated before in this thread, this is a flash plugin bug and Opera leech Firefox for plugins.

FuturePilot
August 18th, 2007, 10:32 PM

It didn't work completely for me. It still froze on me, but it seems to happen less often now.

stinkinrich88
August 18th, 2007, 10:38 PM
This bug is not within Firefox or Opera. As been stated before in this thread, this is a flash plugin bug and Opera leech Firefox's for plugins.

Yeah, true, I guess I'm just worried about it cause I just made this computer and the timings for my RAM I just bought are slightly too fast for the motherboard.... I don't know if this is what's making things crash or if it's just stupid flash....

Freddy
August 18th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Yeah, true, I guess I'm just worried about it cause I just made this computer and the timings for my RAM I just bought are slightly too fast for the motherboard.... I don't know if this is what's making things crash or if it's just stupid flash....
If your computer only crashes when loading flash, it's probably not you ram and if you get random crashes, you might have a problem.

stinkinrich88
August 18th, 2007, 10:47 PM
If your computer only crashes when loading flash, it's probably not you ram and if you get random crashes, you might have a problem.

What do you reckon about not being about to play avi / mpeg files after the crash happens? Do you recon it's nothing to be worried about?

Freddy
August 18th, 2007, 10:52 PM
What do you reckon about not being about to play avi / mpeg files after the crash happens? Do you recon it's nothing to be worried about?
Yes! It's not necessary that it's due to your new ram (even if it's likely) it could be a plugin problem, but your if something crash while playing avi and mpeg files has nothing to do with the flash issues in Ubuntu.

stinkinrich88
August 18th, 2007, 11:06 PM
Yes! It's not necessary that it's due to your new ram (even if it's likely) it could be a plugin problem, but your crashes playing avi and mpeg files has nothing to do with the flash issues in Ubuntu.

hmmm, I just tried to crash my computer by playing around with many video files in different players / etc, and I couldn't make it crash! It only seems to do it when flash videos have crashed. I don't have a clue what's going on, there seems to be a relationship so maybe there's nothing wrong with my flash at all and something totally different is crashing it.

Maybe I'll look into borrowing a friends ram to see if it helps. thanks for the advice, though

Kimm
August 18th, 2007, 11:47 PM
Firefox does the same thing here... that's one of the reasons I use Epiphany as my main browser.

Freddy
August 18th, 2007, 11:53 PM
Firefox does the same thing here... that's one of the reasons I use Epiphany as my main browser.
Your Epiphany will probably crash soon to, the bug is not in the browser but in the flash package that both Firefox and Epiphany uses.

Kimm
August 19th, 2007, 12:10 AM
Your Epiphany will probably crash soon to, the bug is not in the browser but in the flash package that both Firefox and Epiphany uses.

Currect... It does happen that epiphany crashes due to Flash, but the interval between crashes is much larger than with Firefox.

Freddy
August 19th, 2007, 12:12 AM
Currect... It does happen that epiphany crashes due to Flash, but the interval between crashes is much larger than with Firefox.
Okey, didn't know that. With my Opera install, flash crashes as frequently as when using Firefox.

FuturePilot
August 19th, 2007, 12:59 AM
Opera freezes too.

satx
August 19th, 2007, 02:20 AM
Same here. I've got the plugin plus the Greasemonkey plugin (script) to get Foxnews to play right. Have found that you have to let the videos play to conclusion on YouTube, or it will freeze the browser.

paradoxni
August 20th, 2007, 07:18 PM
by any chance does everyone who gets this flash freezing have an onboard soundcard e.g. realtek/Intel HDA ?

FuturePilot
August 20th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Nope. Sound Blaster Audigy 4.

zxccvb
August 22nd, 2007, 01:01 AM
by any chance does everyone who gets this flash freezing have an onboard soundcard e.g. realtek/Intel HDA ?

I do.

FuturePilot
August 22nd, 2007, 01:22 AM
I don't think this has to do with hardware. This is strictly a Flash issue.

Dropbear
August 22nd, 2007, 02:14 AM
It happens to me especially on youtube

GFree678
August 22nd, 2007, 02:22 AM
Occasionally it will crash. Not a lot, but it happens.

zxccvb
August 23rd, 2007, 12:00 AM
To me it happens a lot.

A lot == 1/3 youtube clip.

Simply a killer issue. I just downloaded Debian. Let's see if changing distribution this solve itself.

triptoe
August 23rd, 2007, 12:20 AM
apparently a new flash is out

http://digg.com/linux_unix/Flash_Beta_Version_Released_for_Linux_too

FuturePilot
August 23rd, 2007, 12:35 AM
It's still Beta. I just tried it out and it's still extremely buggy.

triptoe
August 23rd, 2007, 01:01 AM
It's still Beta. I just tried it out and it's still extremely buggy.

hey thanks for being the guinea pig :P

FuturePilot
August 23rd, 2007, 01:02 AM
No problem. Lol:lolflag:
I just hope they fix this freezing problem when it becomes final.