PDA

View Full Version : What I thought after using compiz-fusion

st33med
August 7th, 2007, 11:11 PM
My thoughts after a recent update that made a new plugin called "Shift switcher" were: "Wow! And Windows Vista requires 1 Gig of memory to do this, and even then, it isn't perfect?" and, "I wonder what games made by big name companies (Valve, EA, Ubisoft) would look like on Linux?"
Seriously, I am running compiz-fusion on a not-very-good Intel 945GM and it runs like a dream (Until you put on raindrops, which reduces fps to about 20-15 if you move the cube).

Another thought: "This cube is an illusion of 3D." Why do I think that? Does anybody remember Doom? They made an optical illusion of 3d by using trapezoids. Same here. On my widescreen, if I go to the top of the cube, It fits my screen ratio. Rotate it, still does. So, essentially, Compiz/Compiz-Fusion/Beryl changes the square desktop into linked trapezoids that stretch and transform to make an illusion. However, that is one nice shortcut to make it perform better.

st33med
August 9th, 2007, 02:08 AM
No replies? Weird

jfg69
August 9th, 2007, 02:33 AM
New to Ubuntu and the whole *nix thing in general. I have been trying to get up and running and stable and so far Gutsy seems to be doing the best. Wireless issues aside, I just upped to the NV drivers with hopes of getting Compiz going on my machine, but now I'm locked out! Its a big tease! I'll get it sooner or later tho, it wont beat me!

Nekiruhs
August 9th, 2007, 02:42 AM
New to Ubuntu and the whole *nix thing in general. I have been trying to get up and running and stable and so far Gutsy seems to be doing the best. Wireless issues aside, I just upped to the NV drivers with hopes of getting Compiz going on my machine, but now I'm locked out! Its a big tease! I'll get it sooner or later tho, it wont beat me!
Why are you using Gutsy? Its not anywhere near ready for release! I'm testing it because I am developing software for QT4/KDE4

starcraft.man
August 9th, 2007, 02:52 AM
Why are you using Gutsy? Its not anywhere near ready for release! I'm testing it because I am developing software for QT4/KDE4

Ditto. Best to use the latest stable release jfg69 (Feisty) and wait until it's officially released. Stability and support really can't be guaranteed with Gutsy, it is in development (not even beta yet, right?). Also there may be issues with it that most of the volunteers (who aren't actively testing or have used Gutsy) won't know about. If you continue using it, don't be surprised by any trouble or difficulty finding help on specific Gutsy issues.