PDA

View Full Version : Performance

arijarot
August 7th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Is there a reason why SUSE Linux 10 feels faster (more responsive) than openSUSE 10.2?

ThinkBuntu
August 8th, 2007, 08:33 PM
I don't know. But if Lenovo hadn't made the ThinkPad so crappy, I'd be next in line for one of their SUSE-loaded laptops, with support, with the Lotus suite. Sweet!

I'm running 10.2 on a ThinkPad T41. Seems plenty responsive to me, although there's always room for improvement.

arijarot
August 8th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Hmmm. I always thought that the thinkpads by ibm or lenovo were good... in any case, this decision is good for adoption of linux as a whole.

ubuntu, fedora, for example, seem more responsive than 10.2. opensuse 10.2 seems sluggish to me.

i dunno.

ThinkBuntu
August 9th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Hmmm. I always thought that the thinkpads by ibm or lenovo were good... in any case, this decision is good for adoption of linux as a whole.

ubuntu, fedora, for example, seem more responsive than 10.2. opensuse 10.2 seems sluggish to me.

i dunno.
I really feel that the quality of the ThinkPad took a turn for the worse after the T43. That was when Lenovo took over manufacturing and design, and ever since, many small things have changed: The keyboard feels cheaper and less sturdy, the volume buttons, etc. are also wobbly and feel cheap. Even the exterior feels like a different sort of metal, and is almost plastic.

dca
August 9th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Any idea how well openSUSE 10.2 works on ultra-new laptops?

arijarot
August 9th, 2007, 08:15 PM
I'm running 10.3 beta 1 on vmware on my macbook core duo 1.83. 10.3 is fast and responsive...

10.3 is good... so, i take back my previous question :)

ThinkBuntu
August 9th, 2007, 09:11 PM
I installed 10.3 Alpha 6 on my ThinkPad a little while ago, using the new Single Disc install. Damn X Server wouldn't start...I'm sure it's just as likely that I wouldn't have run into this problem with the DVD install, but either way, I'm getting plenty of work done in 10.2, and am content to wait for the official stable release before upgrading.

arijarot
August 9th, 2007, 09:15 PM
My problem with alpha 7 was that after the install it wouldn't boot into x either... this seems fixed in beta 1.

ThinkBuntu
August 10th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Do you know of a way to upgrade to Beta from an existing install, network-only?

igknighted
August 10th, 2007, 03:36 PM

I think if you switch your repos from the standard ones to factory it should accomplish this, although it is very possible that this could hose your system, so make sure you are backed up.

arijarot
August 10th, 2007, 07:17 PM

NB upon further usage, there do seem to be some issues (frequent errors) with gdm, so I'm not sure if it'd be wise to upgrade just yet... kde seems ok, however.